Votes: 7 14.9%
  • About right and not an issue.

Votes: 32 68.1%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that winter has arrived in the US/Canada and the days are shorter, I'm spending more time driving at night and using the headlights. I feel mine are adjusted too low, and thanks to the "eyebrow" there's a hard cutoff on the beam about 50' or so in front of the car. There's just not enough forward light on a dark road to give sufficient reaction time at normal speeds, and I'm not comfortable with the current configuration.

I've argued with the Service Dept. about adjusting the height, but they measured it against their board, claim it meets official specs and won't touch it. I understand and agree that headlights must be aimed to not blind both the person in front of you and oncoming traffic, but I haven't had this problem with prior SUVs. including JLR SUV's. The high beams are fantastic and solve the problem, but its annoying to have to switch on and off every few moments and you can't use them on most non-divided highways. I'd like to just turn the headlights on and go, like a normal car.

Personally, I think the eyebrow cuts down on the top-range of the beam too much. This would meet specs up close on a board, but loose a lot of forward distance in real life. My F-Pace illuminates tailpipes where other vehicles would stop the focus of the beam more or less just below the rear windshield of a car in front of me... resulting in a big difference in forward illuminated distance at night.

Since the FP is a new model, I'm thinking this could be another design "feature" setting to be optimized in the field from the first-hand experiences of actual drivers... so I'm looking to break out my Hex wrench.

Does anyone have info on headlight adjustments on the FP? I've Googled, but have not come up with much. My assumption is that it'll be a variation of the standard design pattern of a vertical & horizontal screw adjustment somewhere near the lamp unit, but thought I'd ask before I go explore in more detail. I have the Xenon headlamps, and not the LEDs.

I've also set up a poll, so see if others are seeing the same thing. Please respond and share your opinions with the Forum.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Maybe it is a Xenon problem. I have the LEDs. My headlamps are perfect. I especially love the automatic hi-beam feature because I live in a semi-rural area where there are a lot of dark country roads nearby including wooded mountain roads. Love the automatic hi-beam LEDs. They do all the work. I just drive the car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree that the LED option is extremely bright. You should probably modify the poll since the Xenon and LED headlight are auto leveling while the basic headlight has an adjustment knob. You can probably upgrade your bulbs for a greater light output or you can add an LED light bar behind the grill (see attached).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I agree that the LED option is extremely bright. You should probably modify the poll since the Xenon and LED headlight are auto leveling while the basic headlight has an adjustment knob. You can probably upgrade your bulbs for a greater light output or you can add an LED light bar behind the grill (see attached).
Curious, why did you add an LED light bar to the middle of your grill? Is it behind the grill or attached to the front?
Does it look strange during the day or does it blend in nicely?

And to OP's question, the LED headlights are fantastic, I love the bending feature. I can't speak to the Xenon or Halogen option but there have to be leveled. The beam projection can only go so far without being adjusted for height. 50 feet is probably the max projection before they would blind oncoming traffic and people in front of you.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
LEDs are excellent. Auto high beam assist is a little finicky but otherwise good.

You can adjust them yourself but I'm guessing any higher and you'll hit incoming drivers in a bad way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When I hear people not happy about headlights I recall some drivers don't use them at all. Even at night. Go figure...

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
LEDs are excellent. Auto high beam assist is a little finicky but otherwise good.

You can adjust them yourself but I'm guessing any higher and you'll hit incoming drivers in a bad way.
You can adjust the LED headlights leveling? I thought it was automatic?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
To get back on topic, all you LED owners go back to sleep:)
Let's hear some opinions from the Xenon owners.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Curious, why did you add an LED light bar to the middle of your grill? Is it behind the grill or attached to the front?
Does it look strange during the day or does it blend in nicely?
I have U.K. spec XF headlights which apparently aren't calibrated for left hand drivIng SUVs and is blinding oncoming traffic. To alleviate this issue I had the lightbar installed behind the grill and use those along with my fog lights in place of the headlights when driving locally. They are bright enough for full visibility and I haven't been pulled over by officers yet so they must look legal. I blacked out the lense so it isn't visible behind my grill during the day. For those looking for supplemental lighting and would prefer a discreet appearance, I recommend the PIAA RF series.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have U.K. spec XF headlights which apparently aren't calibrated for left hand drivIng SUVs and is blinding oncoming traffic. To alleviate this issue I had the lightbar installed behind the grill and use those along with my fog lights in place of the headlights when driving locally. They are bright enough for full visibility and I haven't been pulled over by officers yet so they must look legal. I blacked out the lense so it isn't visible behind my grill during the day. For those looking for supplemental lighting and would prefer a discreet appearance, I recommend the PIAA RF series.
It seems all of these vehicles have different settings but on my R-Sport there is a setting to change the headlights from left side to right side driving and vice versa!

·
Registered
173 Posts
We have the LED's and compared to my other three vehicles, which have HID kits in them, I feel the low beams are a little weak on the F-Pace. Two of the other vehicles have projectors and have a hard cutoff but still put out more light output. The high beams are great on the F-Pace. We stay in a very rural area so downrange lighting is crucial for animal and obstacle detection and avoidance.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
It seems all of these vehicles have different settings but on my R-Sport there is a setting to change the headlights from left side to right side driving and vice versa!
I remember seeing this option too.

·
Banned
304 Posts
2 questions for you from the pic. Am I correct that the LED fog lights can be used with just the parking lights on?
And I don't see anybody in the driver's seat, but I thought the J Blade DRL's only worked when FPace is in drive.?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
2 questions for you from the pic. Am I correct that the LED fog lights can be used with just the parking lights on?
And I don't see anybody in the driver's seat, but I thought the J Blade DRL's only worked when FPace is in drive.?
He has the lighting stock set to parking lights (the setting right below off on the stock). That means the DRL's will stay on no matter what (even if the car is turned off they will stay on). You can have the fog lights on with the parking lights.

·
Banned
304 Posts
He has the lighting stock set to parking lights (the setting right below off on the stock). That means the DRL's will stay on no matter what (even if the car is turned off they will stay on). You can have the fog lights on with the parking lights.
Thanks. Am I correct that I read somewhere that the DRL's will not be on unless in "D" ( Assuming of course the parking/headlights are off? In other words in daytime no DRLs unless in drive.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Thanks. Am I correct that I read somewhere that the DRL's will not be on unless in "D" ( Assuming of course the parking/headlights are off? In other words in daytime no DRLs unless in drive.
Correct, if you have the lighting stock set to "auto (DRL)" then the J-Blade LED running lights will come on when in "D" only.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts