Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several people’s posts proclaiming the issues with the F-Pace are a result of being Jaguar's first "SUV". Is this truly the case or are we trying to find solace in all this as an excuse for Jaguar’s continued internal battles with quality? The F-Pace is classified as an SUV and no doubt has a new body design but it is still built on a platform that has been around for years. The chassis, drive train and suspension has been around since 2012 and is shared with the XE, XF, soon to be next gen XJ and future Range Rover Velar. The current available four and six cylinder engines in these vehicles also have been around for years. So what s left? Sheet metal, plastic and electronics? Is the F-Pace a completely newly engineered machine or a new body design with what should be tried and true mechanical technology with an updated electronics package? I’ll leave this up to you and share that mine is of the opinion that these vehicles should not have had the amount of problems during the product line launch they have had mechanically and it has taken way too long for the software issues to be resolved for those with the first generation F-Paces.

I would like to share my experience during my F-Pace exchange in March when I was told by some reputable sources that the F-Pace was a re-branding of sorts for Jaguar. The F-Pace was designed to be flashy at a price point to lure in customers by the masses that included a first time luxury car warranty “Jaguar EliteCare” of 5 years 60K miles in hopes to prove they have fixed their quality issues. I was also told this was the sole reason Jaguar was so interested in keeping me satisfied and ultimately why I got such a serious upgrade from an R-Sport to a pretty decked out “S” at no cost to me. Corporate is so afraid of the F-Pace being a failure labeled as a lemon, that they are willing to keep us satisfied even if it means giving out credits and even at the extreme of buying back the cars and selling them at auctions (which is where my R-Sport went) where they cannot be labeled as lemons. Think about it. If the F-Pace fails what would happen to the Jaguar brand?

Lastly I was also told that they are working with another software designer to assist in the repairs to the ICTP software. All new cars coming from the factory are coming with the newly installed software while most of you are still getting new patches to the old one. I can tell you that my new F-Pace has been flawless since taking delivery so I hope this will end for all F-Pace owners soon.

Hope this sheds some light on the difference between a completely new vehicle versus continued quality improvements on older technology.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice post. I've had my fpace for 2 days(fresh off the boat.) And so far it is close to perfect. My only issue is searching for stations on Sirius XM can be kinda slow.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have seen several people?s posts proclaiming the issues with the F-Pace are a result of being Jaguar's first "SUV". Is this truly the case or are we trying to find solace in all this as an excuse for Jaguar?s continued internal battles with quality?
While I can't speak for what Jaguar would have done differently in hindsight, I can say that when I purchased the first production run of the Porsche Cayenne (also new to the SUV segment) it was filled with mechanical issues ranging from tuning problems to coolant failures and several other recalls. The fact that not every F-Pace experiences the same level of problems leads me to believe that it's less of a design flaw and more of a quality control issue. Launching a new software platform that was developed in house will inevitably result in glitches that should have been tested more thoroughly, but they clearly made an executive decision to take their chances and make adjustments along the way. Something tells me they don't have many regrets. Either way most of us new the risks we were taking and I certainly don't have regrets either.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I can tell you that my new F-Pace has been flawless since taking delivery so I hope this will end for all F-Pace owners soon.
Can you share build date of your new F-Pace? My Oct 2016 build S has been solid when I purchased it in January, but I insisted on the latest ICTP updates and all Topix addressed. I'm hoping that from here forward it's a much different (better) experience for new purchasers.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Personally, I think Jaguar has a winner in the F-Pace. Overall, I am sure they are pretty excited about how things have gone. If you look at the link below you can see sales have been good(I believe it is the highest selling Jaguar) with a nice bump in March.

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/13850-ot-jaguar-land-rover-monthly-sales-stats.html

Reviews from major sources and comparisons to other similar SUV's have also been good. As you seem to attest to they have made improvements as it appears your replacement SUV is trouble free. I have a November 2016 build and also have been fairly trouble free.

The SVU and IPace are in the near future and they will continue to tweak the current model moving forward. So, I think from Jaguar's perspective it is blue skies ahead.

To answer your question, I definitely think the problems people have experienced are due to it being the first SUV for Jaguar. Coming from a manufacturing background I know how it is to release new products especially with this level of complexity. You hope there are no problems but you pretty much expect them. If you wait to perfect the product before you release it you will never release it. At some point you have to move forward and then deal the issues as they arise. With the F-Pace Jaguar seems to be doing that.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Just curious as to why on 11/17/16 you said:

I agree, I have the R-Sport IRR with the red and black interior. I am looking at trading it in for the S but may decide to do a different interior because they reverse the colors.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Kevin L, I look at this in two areas. One Software and the other mechanical issues.

On the software side, I think Jaguar, is pretty much seeing the same challenges as most other auto manufacturers in implementing and dealing with a product that has a lot more software in it then it used to. I've seen issues with Honda's software, Audi's software (although much less), BMW's software (again less) and obviously, Jags. In my opinion I think Jag rushed the ICTP update out there on the software side. It wasn't really ready. And us early adopters ended up living the challenges with that. But Jag isn't alone in that respect in my mind among auto manufacturers.

On the Mechanical side, I would say yes to the problems I saw being due to this being Jags first SUV. The Mechanical issues I've seen are down to the differential issue, and the rear isolator issue. We all know what happened with the isolators on the rear spring, so if the story is right there, Jag just got caught without a backup plan when a supplier had an issue with delivery. So is that due to being an SUV, probably not, but it is due to being a first year vehicle. With the Differential issue though, Jag has had AWD XF's and XJ's for years. However, the F=Paces's Differential is surely different due to it sitting higher, being heavier and mostly for being an SUV and needing some offload capability. So that Diff is a first year diff and the issues some of us saw there were clearly due to the F-pace being Jags first SUV..

Reactions: VZX-CO and Turbodog

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you share build date of your new F-Pace? My Oct 2016 build S has been solid when I purchased it in January, but I insisted on the latest ICTP updates and all Topix addressed. I'm hoping that from here forward it's a much different (better) experience for new purchasers.
The new car build date was 2/17/17

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think that JAG did the "SUV" part of it brilliantly and most of the issues are just initial teething issues common to any new model.

As said before, mechanically, Jag used proven motor and drive train. Suspension is different from their road cars, but they did their homework, studied their SUV brothers (Land Rover), and launched a **** of an SUV for a first attempt.

Body wise, they say it's the biggest Jag ever. I think the LWB XJ may have a bigger footprint, but interior size it's the biggest. I think the structure is strong and I haven't seen a plethora of complaints on groans and creeks. I'm actually amazed at the level of interior space given the exterior dimensions.

Electronic issues have nothing to do with SUVness.

So in summary, and as said in many reviews, Jag hit it out of the park with their first SUV. They were late to the game but it was worth the wait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I've had my F-PACE since June of 2016. Second one delivered in my area...black Premium, so I didn't have any ICTP issues as my dash interface is the "standard" software. The vehicle just turned 11,000 miles and the total number of issues I've had with the vehicle are - zero. Nothing. Nada. I've posted before and I turned in a 2015 Corvette for the looks, feel and comfort of the Jag. I have no regrets at all. I still have people coming up to me asking about my experience with the vehicle...I tell them the same thing as I've posted here. It's been a great vehicle to experience and I'd recommend it to anybody.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think that JAG did the "SUV" part of it brilliantly and most of the issues are just initial teething issues common to any new model... ... but interior size it's the biggest.
Yes exactly.
The car feels big driving. In a good way. Was surprised yesterday coming up to it when parked in a line of cars on the side of the road. It is not as big as it feels!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have owned our f-pace for a little over a year now and have literally had it in the dealer at least once if not twice a month. Never had a car that we have owned that has been this bad. All the usual issues everyone else has had... then we had break problems that the rovers had as well, and they admitted it was a design flaw and recommended replacement with the new product. Now we’re getting system tech failure. I was going down the freeway yesterday when my entire consol and electronics just went completely out. Steering and throttle were affected and let’s just say I’m happy to be alive and am honestly scared to drive the thing now. It’s sad because I honestly LOVE the car, the power, and the multiple uses it has. I’m taking it in Wednesday to fix it and am going to be looking for a new car at this point. ?

I don’t know if ta first model issues, or maybe I just have an honest lemon but it’s pretty disappointing ?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
We have owned our f-pace for a little over a year now and have literally had it in the dealer at least once if not twice a month. Never had a car that we have owned that has been this bad. All the usual issues everyone else has had... then we had break problems that the rovers had as well, and they admitted it was a design flaw and recommended replacement with the new product. Now we’re getting system tech failure. I was going down the freeway yesterday when my entire consol and electronics just went completely out. Steering and throttle were affected and let’s just say I’m happy to be alive and am honestly scared to drive the thing now. It’s sad because I honestly LOVE the car, the power, and the multiple uses it has. I’m taking it in Wednesday to fix it and am going to be looking for a new car at this point. ?

I don’t know if ta first model issues, or maybe I just have an honest lemon but it’s pretty disappointing ?
I have not heard of any admitted design flaws. My mechanical/technical issues have been minor, all of which I do attribute to the F-Pace as both a new model for Jaguar and their first SUV. My major issues are all about what humans have done to my car, not the car itself. The car itself is near perfect. It has operated flawlessly in the wilds of Manhattan and the wilds of Deliverance country; on short trips to my local supermarket and road trips all the way to Chicago and Quebec City. I've not enjoyed driving a car this much at 20 or well over triple digits. If you have a set of Pirelli P-Zeros, you can track this baby in Dynamic + Sport modes with the paddles and have a ton of fun. Perfect. I've not enjoyed driving a car as much as this one and I've owned cars like Lexus and Acura with stellar reputations for quality build.

I'm sorry you are having major mechanical and technical problems.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
. The current available four and six cylinder engines in these vehicles also have been around for years.
The 6 cyl yes, But the Ingenuim line is new, Diesel and gas... But I think these are prob some of the better new technology JLR has brought to bear. I believe them to be pretty solid for entirely new engines.
I also agree at some point you just have to get it out there and fix issues along the way... but I will say in this day and age, there isn't much room for the breadth and duration of issues for the ICTP system. If this isn't new, then there really isn't an excuse for it. It is something that you arguably use at every interface with the vehicle, and when it has it issues, it sours you rapidly if not rectified correctly and quickly... Also as with anything I guess, Dealers can be the weak link. That experience alone can pre determine if you are ever coming back or not. JLR should put weighed pressure on underperforming dealers and reward excellent customer service at the top ones. You may already be dealing with someone hours from home and we made that choice based on the confidence in both the product and the dealership that will make it right without multiple trips. I've always internally said I'm never buying a car again that the dealer is way out of town. I'm prob going to lean harder on that in future choices, even though my experience so far hasn't been totally terrible. Its just hard to deal with a service dept that is a state away and appears so busy and overwhelmed that you don't get the attn you feel should come with a "Luxury" SUV.

Over all we are still happy with our choice though....:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I took delivery in November 2016, and have almost 32,000 miles on my R-Sport. It has only been to the dealer twice, for routine service and software updates. For a new model, I think JLR did a pretty **** good job!

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I took delivery in November 2016, and have almost 32,000 miles on my R-Sport. It has only been to the dealer twice, for routine service and software updates. For a new model, I think JLR did a pretty **** good job!
You are kicking my a$$. I took delivery from the first boat to dock on these shores, May 2016, and have 21,000 miles on my F-Pace.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
You are kicking my a$$. I took delivery from the first boat to dock on these shores, May 2016, and have 21,000 miles on my F-Pace.
We took delivery in June 2016 and had almost 35k when JLR swapped ours for a 2018.

Not sure that’s on topic, but oh well ?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Your F-PACE experience , is pretty much identical to ours !!!
No complaints here !!!

Purchased Sept. 2016 , just turned 28K-miles !!!
We are IN LOVE with this vehicle !!!:)

Reactions: Jetman

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
A quick look at most forums for vehicles in this class you will find a bunch of griping about most vehicles. I am not convinced, setting aside ICTP, that the F Pace is a whole lot different other than Jaguar’s past reputation and a dose of confirmation bias. ICTP clearly rushed out with some bonehead bugs still there. Competent dealers have been diligently applying updates which seem to have it in pretty decent shape now with hopes that it might become more competitive in fall.

Re original post, I highly doubt JLR is running two codebases for ICTP across their product lines. There is zero evidence of this in technical documentation or update process. Could be proven wrong but wonder if what was said was in reference to Android Auto and parts of CarPlay purportedly hiding dormant inside ICTP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts