Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought it might be useful to start up a thread for sharing tips, glitches, etc. for people who have installed CarPlay. Suggest questions about getting it remain in Proof or 18C thread and definitely don’t do not it’s DP’s use videos in those threads. Also post favorite new CarPlay enabled apps.

Android users and Apple haters can post elsewhere ;)

Took a long two day road trip CO to LA and used CarPlay the whole way. Here are some random observations in no order;
- as I’ve said before it really has transformed my F-Pace experience, plowed through 14 hour backlog of podcasts, easy access to music, texting and even emailing via Siri is great
- glitch: seems to occasionally get stuck in a mode where no matter what app I’m launching it tries to open the app it glitched on or opens apps with a blank screen and gets confused. i’ve found the solution is to unplug phone and plug back in. this solves it most times but once I had to reboot phone. seems to indicate this is an internal CarPlay bug not ICTP but who knows?
- navigation; after some testing I finally see that you cannot simultaneously use ICTP navigation and navigation/routing with Google Maps, Waze, etc. I set a route in ICTP navigation, got it on instrument panel screen, then I fired up Google Maps and put same destination in and activated route. immediately the ICTP nav routing terminated. This make sense functionally, don’t want multiple navigation apps nattering at you. why would one want this? i was driving into friday night LA traffic and running behind on long road trip from Grand Canyon. Ran into a very bad traffic tie up and was seeing wildly different ETAs from ICTP, Google Maps and Waze. Wanted to flip between the various estimates and re-routing suggestions but can’t do that. Was a little surprised ICTP knew what was going on in CarPlay enough to shut its own nav routing off.
- tiny, rare glitch: once or twice flipped sound to phone rather than cabin speakers. solved by unplugging and replugging phone
- good to know; as with phone use alone, using Siri requires a good internet/cell connection so when out of cell range no Siri use
- tip; can use “Hey Siri” to activated or, as pointed out elsewhere, a long press of the steering wheel activation button kicks up Siri
- favorite apps so far; PocketCast for podcasts, Google Maps for alternative navigation though ICTP nav still pretty good and I’m more used to it, plus gives me HUD

amusing aside; chatted with a woman driving a nice black F-Pace at the Starbucks on Sunset this am. Told her about 18C and CarPlay, she was psyched to hear about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Spotify went wonky on me. Launched it in Carplay and screen was blank. Kept asking me to login. Unplugged/replugged - same issue. I could still go to the iPhone and play a playlist and it played through the car speakers and showed the songs, but couldn’t get the menu in Spotify. Apple Music functioned perfectly. Shut down the car/rebooted phone and reconnected to Carplay everything seemed to clear-up. After doing some research in the Spotify forums there seems to be an issue with the Spotify app.

One other note on Google and Waze navigation - make sure you have location services set to always and background refresh set to on - as if you exit the app to launch another program it may lose your location. New site for general Carplay info: http://www.carplaylife.com/

·
Registered
564 Posts
thought it might be useful to start up a thread for sharing tips, glitches, etc. for people who have installed CarPlay. Suggest questions about getting it remain in Proof or 18C thread and definitely don’t do not it’s DP’s use videos in those threads. Also post favorite new CarPlay enabled apps.

Android users and Apple haters can post elsewhere ;)

………………………………….
………………………...
Totally agree, keeping how-to-use & how-to-get, as well as AA & CP really separate.

FWIW, some early AA observations and POV have been posted on this thread:

https://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/electronics/44999-wanted-android-auto-expert-enthusiast.html#post701331

Note: not all Android users are Apple Haters.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Two questions: The volume on my Waze and texts, etc. when using Apple Car Play is very low and I have to jack up the volume (on the car) even to hear the texts being read or directions on Waze. Any way to change that other than turning my phone volume all the way up? Does that even help?
Is there a good way to toggle between ACP and satellite radio? When I have Waze up at least I can use satellite radio but don't get any info on screen. I suspect as they are two different platforms there's no way to have dual screen, but just thought I'd check.

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two questions: The volume on my Waze and texts, etc. when using Apple Car Play is very low and I have to jack up the volume (on the car) even to hear the texts being read or directions on Waze. Any way to change that other than turning my phone volume all the way up? Does that even help?
Is there a good way to toggle between ACP and satellite radio? When I have Waze up at least I can use satellite radio but don't get any info on screen. I suspect as they are two different platforms there's no way to have dual screen, but just thought I'd check.
I have also noticed low volume being an issue in some CarPlay apps, so far i’ve just used the volume knob on car or steering wheel volume control while that audio is underway to turn things up like I would in a regular ICTP function. Seems to work and I think stick for next time but not totally sure about that. Have not tried adjusting phone volume.

No way to have split screen but I have the left info panel in dashboard set to show audio and then show CarPlay on the infotainment system display so kind of does same thing. So far the only way I’ve seen to go CarPlay display to ICTP function display is to use CarPlay home buttton then the Jaguar button in CarPlay to go to ICTP. To go ICTP CarPlay is easier because there is a CarPlay icon at bottom middle of ICTP display when CarPlay is functioning.

·
Registered
564 Posts
.....................…

So far the only way I’ve seen to go CarPlay display to ICTP function display is to use CarPlay home buttton then the Jaguar button in CarPlay to go to ICTP. To go ICTP CarPlay is easier because there is a CarPlay icon at bottom middle of ICTP display when CarPlay is functioning.
Still trying to answer a Texting question, specifically, what notification do you get when a text comes in while CarPlay is connected, but you are in ICTP display.

Say you have switched to the ICTP home display (for whatever reason), or you are using the ICTP nav function. When a text comes in:- what happens visually and audibly???

Not to conflate CarPlay and Android Auto, but in that situation, despite AA being connected, there is no notification on the ICTP display and you will not be aware of the message until next time you switch to the AA display. It would be useful to know if this is the same for CarPlay, hence is it a common shortcoming of the ICTP link to AA/CP, or unique to AA? What's more, CP users may also want to be aware if this is so.

Thanks

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I wanted to experiment before responding and and am traveling so hard to do. Yesterday I observed the following; had phone plugged in and thus carplay active in background or at least available but I don’t think I had used any function. I was navigating using ictp navigation with map up on screen. Incoming text messages were shown via CatPlay, eg a drop down box from top of screen saying “message from xxxx.” When I click on that box I am then read message and in full carplay/siri response interface. When done with message, etc automatically returns to ICTP navigation screen. One thing that’s bugging me is the drop down notification box is visual only, there is no ding o sound cue and I haven’t found a way to turn on yet. In my old Pioneer CarPlay system it would ding so you knew there was an incoming message.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sorry, I wanted to experiment before responding and and am traveling so hard to do. Yesterday I observed the following; had phone plugged in and thus carplay active in background or at least available but I don’t think I had used any function. I was navigating using ictp navigation with map up on screen. Incoming text messages were shown via CatPlay, eg a drop down box from top of screen saying “message from xxxx.” When I click on that box I am then read message and in full carplay/siri response interface. When done with message, etc automatically returns to ICTP navigation screen. One thing that’s bugging me is the drop down notification box is visual only, there is no ding o sound cue and I haven’t found a way to turn on yet. In my old Pioneer CarPlay system it would ding so you knew there was an incoming message.
Appreciate you getting back with specifics. It seems like the interface with CarPlay is indeed better than with AA, where there is neither a sound cue nor a drop down box. Share your concern about no sound. If the drop down box does not stay up until attended to, the text could easily be missed.

Seems a fundamental oversight in AA, since a normal incoming phone call (rather than a text) even while in any ICTP display invokes the AA phone module to handle the call (although unlike your description it does not hand control back to ICTP).

Thanks again

·
Registered
265 Posts
Spotify went wonky on me. Launched it in Carplay and screen was blank. Kept asking me to login. Unplugged/replugged - same issue. I could still go to the iPhone and play a playlist and it played through the car speakers and showed the songs, but couldn’t get the menu in Spotify. Apple Music functioned perfectly. Shut down the car/rebooted phone and reconnected to Carplay everything seemed to clear-up. After doing some research in the Spotify forums there seems to be an issue with the Spotify app.

One other note on Google and Waze navigation - make sure you have location services set to always and background refresh set to on - as if you exit the app to launch another program it may lose your location. New site for general Carplay info: http://www.carplaylife.com/
I have the same issue with Spotify. When I close/re-open the app on the phone everything worked fine in CP.

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
“usb connection did not work, unplug phone and plug in again”

very irksome problem today. while departing this morning for long day of driving could not get phone to connect. plugged, unplugged both ends f usb cable multiple times. no CarPlay. weirdly everything else worked through usb, phone was charging, i think i was able to play media, etc. i tried reboooting phone but no luck. after first gas stop and a **** down and restart of car all was well.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Exact same thing happened this morning to me. Followed the same procedures you outlined with no results, until I shut the car off. Very strange as my iphone said CarPlay was operating but the *&^%&** ICTP said it was available first and then said it wasn’t.:mad: Then everything came back after a reboot. :D. Ugh!

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
Maybe this has been brought up here or somewhere else, but the sound quality of the audio seems muted but the equalizer of the phone doesn’t seem to affect it, and the cars can’t be accessed while in CarPlay mode.

???

·
Registered
85 Posts
Remote Start CarPlay

I live in Chicago---we are in the time of year where Remote Start is a Godsend.

Unfortunately, CarPlay will not activate after a remote start.

What happens is I start remotely and then 15 or 20 minutes later I get in the car, plug the phone in and the phone indicates it is in "CarPlay mode" for lack of a better term (you can tell by the blue oval round the time in the upper left corner); however, on the ICTP unit it says "CarPlay unavailable."

CarPlay never becomes "available," no matter how long I wait, tap the icon or restart the phone.

CarPlay starts working again after I turn off and exit the vehicle and leave it sit for like 5 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone tell me how to do a reset of ICTP (as that looks like it might be a way to fix the problem)?

Thank you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Can confirm I have the same issue. Seems this is an 18C issue that has trouble with the hand-off between the remote software, 18C and CarPlay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you for confirming it is not just me! My F-Pace has had loads of ICTP problems since I picked it up last September; problems the dealer has told me “couldn’t be replicated” when I brought it in for service (mostly blue tooth related).

A quick Google search tells me “18c” is the name of the update. In other words, this is a software bug.

I assume Jaguar will be able to figure this out. Unfortunately, it’s not like there is push notification in the vehicle telling you an update is available and even if there was, I don’t believe there is a way to update the OS over the air (although they really should figure out a way to do this—-it will save the service centers a ton of headaches, lengthy appointments and loaner cars).

Do you recommend I just watch this space for information re: fixes?

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for confirming it is not just me! My F-Pace has had loads of ICTP problems since I picked it up last September; problems the dealer has told me “couldn’t be replicated” when I brought it in for service (mostly blue tooth related).

A quick Google search tells me “18c” is the name of the update. In other words, this is a software bug.

I assume Jaguar will be able to figure this out. Unfortunately, it’s not like there is push notification in the vehicle telling you an update is available and even if there was, I don’t believe there is a way to update the OS over the air (although they really should figure out a way to do this—-it will save the service centers a ton of headaches, lengthy appointments and loaner cars).

Do you recommend I just watch this space for information re: fixes?

hmmm...strange, most or all my connectivity glitches went away with 18c, though most were usb related. what phone model and ios version are you using? i’m iphone x with latest v12 revision.

you can see on other threads that ictp now has, at least theoretically, over the air update capacity. i have heard that future patches will be in smaller chunks and I think you will need to be able to connect car to wifi to do updates,

·
Registered
85 Posts
XS Max 12.1.

Let me clarify—I’m not having connectivity problems post update, except for CarPlay not working after a remote start.

I’m talking from September of 2018 until last week.

Bluetooth was an absolute dumpster fire, and this was using THREE iPhone models: 8+, X and XS Max.

Those issues seem to be fixed. There were many, many frustrating moments over the last year

Can anyone tell me how to reboot ICTP?

·
F Pace Expert
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
XS Max 12.1.

Let me clarify—I’m not having connectivity problems post update, except for CarPlay not working after a remote start.

I’m talking from September of 2018 until last week.

Bluetooth was an absolute dumpster fire, and this was using THREE iPhone models: 8+, X and XS Max.

Those issues seem to be fixed. There were many, many frustrating moments over the last year

Can anyone tell me how to reboot ICTP?
wish there was way, no one has found one other than vehicle full shut down

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
So, we finally got to use ours over the weekend. A couple issues:

1 - Most of the time, Siri hangs when asked to do something when using CarPlay, no matter how you engage her. If you activate Siri and say “Send a Text Message”, it MIGHT ask to who, but even then it still hangs and eventually states something like please hang on a moment. Only got it to work twice this weekend, even after unplugging, plugging back in, changing USB ports, restarting the car, etc. happens to my iPhone (XS Max on latest 12.1 and my wife’s iPhone X on 12.1).

2 - There seriously needs to be a night or dark mode for CarPlay. The screen is way too bright, especially the music screen with the full screen faded and barely visible album artwork - and the phone/call screen that’s just plain grey. Horrible, horrible design.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Running iPhone 7 with iOS 12.1. Interesting I could play songs from the phone but sound went wonky for a minute then corrected itself. Similar to what someone described here. Here is an interesting pic after I forced CarPlay to connect. When It did I got the below screen through ICTP media player but I never could get the system to kick ICTP into the CarPlay home screen. Remember this is all after remote start.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 92 Posts