Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody started suffering with CarPlay issues since the most recent iOS upgrade? All of a sudden ICTP won’t connect to my phone, with charging starting and stopping every few seconds. Sometimes it never connects at all, other times after a few cycles and other times it will randomly connect later in a journey - and also randomly disconnect. I get the “USB device not connected” type message too. I am on version 19B - no OTA update available for me. This only started happening lately - since an iOS upgrade on my phone, but trying with my sons phone (older iOS version) gets the same result ...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Take a paperclip and use the tip to go into the lightning connector to make sure there is no lint inside. Don't scrape up toward the pins but only sideways. I had random connection issues and lint was the problem. I'm running the latest iOS 14 public beta with no issues.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - good tip, but I am aware of that one and it isn’t the issue. I have tried combinations of different phones and leads and get the same fault. I know the USB modules on these cars are a weak spot, I suppose it could be that.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks - good tip, but I am aware of that one and it isn’t the issue. I have tried combinations of different phones and leads and get the same fault. I know the USB modules on these cars are a weak spot, I suppose it could be that.
Mine did that last year (pre-CarPlay) and I ended up having to have the USBs in the console replaced. No issues with connection since.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine seems pretty finicky about what cable I use. I tried several cables and had all sorts of connection problems until I changed to these 90* cables and they work great while leaving maximum clearance for things in the console area and allowing the phone to easily fit in the cubby in front of the shifter.

AUKEY Right Angle Lightning Cable 3.3ft ( 2 Pack) Nylon Braided [ Apple MFi Certified ] Amazon.com: AUKEY Right Angle Lightning Cable 3.3ft ( 2 Pack) Nylon Braided [ Apple MFi Certified ] Ideal for Playing Games iPhone Charging Cable Compatible with iPhone 11 / X / 8, iPad and Other Apple Devices

Reactions: darlo

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine did that last year (pre-CarPlay) and I ended up having to have the USBs in the console replaced. No issues with connection since.
The local Jag dealer Looked at it yesterday and today. Said all software was up to date (even though I am on 19B...) and there was nothing to be done. I also get sporadic crackling static through the sound system when playing music. I really think it is the USB module. I think mine has been replaced before in either this car or my previous one. I am so done with Jag and their dodgy electronics. I paid $250 to have CarPlay installed just days before Jag offered it for free, and it doesn’t work properly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The local Jag dealer Looked at it yesterday and today. Said all software was up to date (even though I am on 19B...) and there was nothing to be done. I also get sporadic crackling static through the sound system when playing music. I really think it is the USB module. I think mine has been replaced before in either this car or my previous one. I am so done with Jag and their dodgy electronics. I paid $250 to have CarPlay installed just days before Jag offered it for free, and it doesn’t work properly.
I can’t help with the connection issue - sounds like a hardware connection problem, which is common with these USB ports... but I thought I remembered seeing a reimbursement notice for those who paid for the update. See the bottom of this document:

Reactions: darlo and VZX-CO

·
F Pace Expert
2,564 Posts
That really does sound like a USB module in the center console problem. I'd push that with dealer. Have them refer to SSM72773 - Connectivity with USB dated 16-May-2016. Long ago my USB center console module wiring harness was replaced. One test to do at the dealer. Try your phone and cables in another Jaguar vehicle and see what happens.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the advice (and the refund note - funny that my dealer hasn’t offered this even when I complained!)

the car has to go back in anyway - it has developed a drivetrain vibration. I am used to electrical issues on Jags but have always found the drivetrains to be bombproof!

·
Registered
15 Posts
On the versions, I have a 2017 and my dealer took the ICTP version to 19C this summer and I got the 20B version update OTA just a week ago. The dealer cannot be right that 19B is the latest for yours, it looks like 20B is the latest version for all model years.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Version 20B1 has been released since 20B came out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Version 20B1 has been released since 20B came out.
Sorry, thats what I meant. I went straight from 19C to 20B1 with my first OTA update. I was thinking this was only for the newer models until mine was updated. OP does seem to have a hardware or cable problem but should be able to get above 19B too.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Darlo,

I was having the same issue and was about to blast Jag when I dropped it off for service. Actually doing that right now, but two days ago I decided to change out the cord and my problems have gone away. I think CarPlay is very sensitive to a solid cord connection and a cord with no kinks or wear. MBuff said is perfectly above, if you have some lint in your connector on the phone or if the cord is suspect you’ll have problems. Mine has been fine now on the new cord. No cutting out or freezing or not connecting like I was seeing previously.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts