Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I want to run a power cord for a dash cam up from the fuse box in the passenger foot well to the center top of the window. I don't see any issue tucking the cord under the headliner, but I think the only way to get the cord past the dashboard might be by removing the A-pillar trim. I'm a little nervous to start poking around there with an airbag behind the trim.

Has anyone taken this trim off or know how to run a cable up the passenger side and past the dashboard?

Thanks,
Dervin

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Hi,
I want to run a power cord for a dash cam up from the fuse box in the passenger foot well to the center top of the window. I don't see any issue tucking the cord under the headliner, but I think the only way to get the cord past the dashboard might be by removing the A-pillar trim. I'm a little nervous to start poking around there with an airbag behind the trim.

Has anyone taken this trim off or know how to run a cable up the passenger side and past the dashboard?

Thanks,
Dervin
Haven't done it in the Jag, but usually you pop that airbag tag off and there's a screw underneath, then clips hold the rest of it in place. Disconnect your battery if you're uncomfortable (which is warranted when there's explosives involved)

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Go on topix for an hour and download that portion of the shop manual. That will make it completely clear. That is what I did to get the directions to swap out the springs to put in my lowering springs when they come in.

My Accord had break away clips on that A Pillar, I think it was due to the air bag being there. After removal to reinstall the trim, you needed new clips. I don't know if Jag is the same but it's worth $8 to sign up with Topix for an hour and know for sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is no need to remove the trim. I have two cords for a dashcam (power and rear camera connection) running behind that piece. Using a plastic spudger you can harmlessly create enough space to tuck the cords in invisibly. One cord runs from the right rear , down and back up the A pillar, and then all the way to the windshield mirror; another from the passenger fusebox to the windshield mirror.

The biggest PITA was finding a grounding screw with everything covered in plastic. I finally used one of the glove box mount screws that you can see when you open it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi PA-FPace-F,

How do you access Jaguar topix shop manual? When I go to download it, the website requires a login. Looks like a great source for information if I could access it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no need to remove the trim. I have two cords for a dashcam (power and rear camera connection) running behind that piece. Using a plastic spudger you can harmlessly create enough space to tuck the cords in invisibly. One cord runs from the right rear , down and back up the A pillar, and then all the way to the windshield mirror; another from the passenger fusebox to the windshield mirror.

The biggest PITA was finding a grounding screw with everything covered in plastic. I finally used one of the glove box mount screws that you can see when you open it.
Hi bendobe,
How did you fish the cable up to the A-pillar from below the dashboard? My problem seems to be with getting the cable up from the passenger foot well fuse box to the A-pillar trim, once there I'm happy to know I can just tuck it in.

Thanks again for saving me some time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi bendobe,
How did you fish the cable up to the A-pillar from below the dashboard? My problem seems to be with getting the cable up from the passenger foot well fuse box to the A-pillar trim, once there I'm happy to know I can just tuck it in.

Thanks again for saving me some time.
Run wires along the separation of plastics at the bottom of the A pillar that is right at the level of the glove box bottom. From there transition to the door felt trim that is very easy run wire underneath. Run to the top of the A pillar and then across using the separation near the top of the pillar.

I'll try to take some pictures a bit later.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Advice for running wires up the A-Pillar

I'd like to add a few things I learned:
- I removed the door trim around the front of the door frame.
- I used a fishing wire to pull the cable through the kick panel, up to the A-pillar. I then disconnected the wire and pulled up enough cable to extend to my destination.
- I used Harbor Freight trim tools to pull back the A-pillar, top windshield side and midway door side, to allow me to run the fishing cable from the top of the A-pillar windshield side down and out the A-pillar on the door side where I connected it back to the cable. (be cautious of the airbag, do not poke it and try and avoid it as much as possible.)
- I pulled the cable back through and used my fingers to position the cable in the A-pillar on the side of the airbag so it would not interfere if the airbag were to inflate.
- Very easy to then tuck in the cable in behind the headliner with one of the trim tools. (Make sure your trim tools are very clean or them might leave marks)
- I found an easy ground behind and forward of the fuse bus behind the passenger kick panel. I have a flexible drive extender which made easy work of it.
- Keep trying fuses until you find one that acts as you prefer.

Good luck and lots of thanks to "bendobe" who gave me the courage to dive in. Results have been exactly as I wanted.

Thanks,
Dervin.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'd like to add a few things I learned:
- I removed the door trim around the front of the door frame.
Is there any trick to removing the door frame material? Does it just snap in? I'm trying to remove the trim around the door handles and can't figure out why it won't just pop off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
we are looking to remove the ss window trim on the out side & paint it black is their a easy way to remove it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts