Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
If I want more performance, I just drive the F-Type. If I want more than that, I drive the VR4 for less than the cost of a Jaguar engine.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Every weekend we get a "performance upgrade" , because *GR* gets to drive , and *VR* slides over to the passenger seat !!! ;) >:) :)

She always yells at me , when I do my *Ricky Bobby SHAKE & BAKE* !!! >:) >:) >:)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
At risk of being chastised..0:)

I have ordered (will be here Tuesday) the latest tune from a company in Canada. It promises with Dyno proof, that my 340hp engine will put out 410 to 416 BHP when installed..the programming is reversible..You all know we have the very same engine used in the V6 F-type ..These engines are the 5.0L V8 blocks set up for 6 cyclinders..I was assured these engines have so much room for power enhancements it's a shame Jaguar doesn't do it to all these V6's..but it gives Jaguar a selling point for the S models...the preverbal Carrot..

I can't wait to install it....I will NOT however be changing any pulleys.

Reactions: Okie

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Not trying to be mysterious. But I wanna wait to say WHO until I've had a chance to install the Tune and see how it works..then I'll give candid info to whoever wants to learn more about it via the PM feature here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just a suggestion...please take a before and after video showing acceleration and overall driving. I'll be awaiting a report from you and will be sending you a PM...

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have ordered (will be here Tuesday) the latest tune from a company in Canada. .
You won't catch any real flack from me. To each his own. I did my own tune on the VR4 and have had a ball with it - with the added bonus/satisfaction of doing the work myself. (And, unless you get under 3sec on a 0-60, keep your pink slip in your pocket.)

One note of caution, if your tuner told you that it's reversible without evidence, you'll always have to worry what else he lied about.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
One note of caution, if your tuner told you that it's reversible without evidence, you'll always have to worry what else he lied about.
Nope..he said just the opposite, he was very up front on all the risks....that there will be tell-tale evidence the original program has been over written..BUT...one would have to be looking for such a thing, not readily obvious unless you're looking...;)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Nope..he said just the opposite, he was very up front on all the risks....that there will be tell-tale evidence the original program has been over written..BUT...one would have to be looking for such a thing, not readily obvious unless you're looking...;)
So it just a software/firmware update?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
So it just a software/firmware update?
I'm not sure..But they take your original ECM file/program and modify it and send it back to you to upload as an overwrite to the original..Both programs will be stored on a device for loading and unloading via the OBDII port...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Very interesting read:

Velocity Automotive Performance, Inc.

We have been speaking with a number of you by phone & email, but I thought it would be helpful to initiate a thread for the F-Pace, similar to this one we have running on the F-Type, so we can hopefully answer some questions and people can use it as an FAQ of sorts:
VelocityAP Jaguar F-Type ECU Tuning, V6, V6S, V8S, V8R

If you have a quick browse of the F-Type thread you'll see that we have some great software developed for the 3.0L Supercharged V6 already. The net results are:

ECU Tuning: 340-416BHP
ECU Tuning + Supercharger Overdrive Pulley: 340BHP-453BHP

How is the software installed?
VelocityAP sends you a VTech hand-held touch screen programmer, which is included with the cost of the tune. This programmer pairs to the vehicle and allows you to read the OEM file, email to us for modification, and flash the MOD file back onto the car.

Can I switch back to the original file?
Yes, the VTech ALWAYS stores your original file + up to 5 modified files. So you can use the device to switch between original & modified files at any time.

Why a Crank Pulley and not a Supercharger Pulley like on the V8?
The stock V6 supercharger pulley is already smaller than the stock pulley on a 5.0L V8 Supercharged. As a result, reduction in size requires the supercharger snout to be shaved, and only yields 3/4 of a lb of additional boost. It is a lot of work for not a lot of return. Consequently, the V6 is best served by removing the crank pulley and bolting on our larger pulley to increase the supercharger drive. The Crank Pulley kit includes a new tensioner pulley and belt.

Can I do the tune to begin with and add the Crank Pulley Later?
Yes you can. If you are planning to upgrade the crank pulley later, just let us know when requesting your file and we will send you both files to upload to the VTech at the same time. You can update the software later when the crank pulley is installed.

In addition to more BHP and torque, what other things can be changed?
- RPM Limit Adjustment
- Auto Stop/Start Deactivation
- Sport Cat Integration
- Throttle Sensitivity
- Speed Limiter Adjustment

This software is already live on our website and available for purchase. Bear in mind the dyno charts here show the software we developed on the XF-V6S, already making 380BHP. Since this engine is identical apart from software to the 340BHP version, there is an additional 40BHP available for the base V6:
Jaguar XE V6 Supercharged ECU Tune

Crank Pulleys are in production & will be available in a couple of weeks. They are currently available on pre-purchase at a 25% discount using coupon code 'JAGCPLAUNCH' : Jaguar F-Type V6 & V8 Supercharger Crank Pulley

We will be announcing a 'launch' special pricing offer in the next couple of days with a hefty discount on the F-Pace. Stay posted.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Thanks theweeb. Not sure what the big secret with the supplier name was here DPK? It doesn't = endorsement...just info for the forum. Lots of info on them on "other" Jag forums.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Thanks theweeb. Not sure what the big secret with the supplier name was here DPK? It doesn't = endorsement...just info for the forum. Lots of info on them on "other" Jag forums.
I didn't want to step on forum rules or Moderator's toes..Being new here, I was just being cautious as to not ruffle any feathers or violate some rules I wasn't aware of yet....So since Dweeb let the cat out of the bag (no pun intended) there you have all the info I know..:)

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Not endorsing any particular product or company either, just passing information from the jaguarforums.com site. Note the early adopter special FPACELAUNCH, 30% off either setup (tune only or tune + pulley). The tune is pretty steep - $999.00 - but with 30% off, maybe I will go in. For the tune only, are 36 extra ponies worth $700? With the pulley and discount, $1,396 for 73 more HP? Both work out to be just over $19 per unit of horsepower increase.

To me, the larger increase is more desirable, but then of course you have to consider the parts that JLR would no longer cover under warranty. If you have a ton of money to play with, maybe not an issue at all. There are those who claim the doom and gloom of voiding the entire warranty, but my experience has been that only the parts affected by owner's changes are no longer covered. Then again, should I do the tune, and the front diff starts to leak, could JLR claim it was related to the increased HP?

Another consideration is of course that even though this system has been proven with this engine in other models, are there things unique to the FP that could cause problems?

All good food for thought... I might just buy one of the packages now but not install until I have many more thousand miles on mine, to shake out the bugs and get as much covered under warranty, as well as let a few others be the first to install and report on any issues.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Your last three paragraphs were VERY NICELY put , theweeb ! I am big fan of the *Warranty Worries* Issue , but I know that some others are not so much concerned ! :)

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
1)..here are those who claim the doom and gloom of voiding the entire warranty, but my experience has been that only the parts affected by owner's changes are no longer covered.

2)..Another consideration is of course that even though this system has been proven with this engine in other models, are there things unique to the FP that could cause problems?

Point one... is always a concern with people new to aftermarket modifications. In this case the Magnuson-Moss act will protect you as any failure has to be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be the result of the Modification.

Point two...That is also a common misunderstanding and woo in the realm of uncertainty of the product or engine it will apply to..As I said, mechanically and electrically. ALL the Jaguar V6 engines are alike except for the tune in the ECM..so no harm, no foul...only gains..

I opted for the tune only and the out the door cost was $732.50 and a promise of life long support if I need it...That's about a $9.60 cost per horsepower

Reactions: theweeb

·
Registered
245 Posts
Point one... is always a concern with people new to aftermarket modifications. In this case the Magnuson-Moss act will protect you as any failure has to be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt to be the result of the Modification.
I'm sorry but this is nearly as wrong as it can get. I'm an old man who did a lot of modding in his life and still do, I eventually went down the M&M path and it isn't pretty. I often run into this misconception I quoted above and so rather than type out a lengthy response explaining how it really works I went over to another forum I'm on and did a copy/paste of my response there which is as follows...

Keep in mind here Gents that I am not an attorney, what I am going to pass on is some information about what it's like to actually be there on the ground with a warranty denial based on modifications and how things transpire in the aftermath of that denial.

The first thing to understand is that possession is 90% of the law. When a car is purchased it comes with a warranty but you do not possess it, this because in order to utilize it you must go to a third party who also does not possess it. The third party is your dealership and it is Porsche that in reality possesses your new car warranty. The dealership is authorized by Porsche to act on a number of issues without first seeking approval from Porsche but for others they must first get approval from a regional rep before they can perform the warranty work. The line between what the dealership can do and cant do is primarily defined by cost. A power mirror goes out and the dealer can order parts and install them without approval from Porsche, lunch an engine and they can't. In the latter case that regional rep has to come in and approve the warranty coverage.

Who is this rep? He/she does not work for the dealership and does not sell cars. He/she does work for Porsche and has a specific job, to guard the gate. They can't be negotiated with and you will seldom have the opportunity to try, they don't have any mercy because they are not there to care for customers. They are highly trained and in recent years have gained significant tools to help them find abuses or ascertain the existence of other conditions that might have led to a failure.

Now we can talk about what happens when the rubber meets the road, we'll use a blown engine for our example. There you are, enjoying the new found power from anything; headers, tune, blower, doesn't matter. Suddenly you come to a stop with a lot of sickening noises coming from the engine. The car is towed to the dealership where they determine the engine is toast. Your dealer can't repair this without getting approval from the aforementioned rep. He comes in, does some investigating, determines that the car was modified so as to increase the power. He/she will then tell the dealership that Porsche will not be authorizing the warranty coverage. The reason will be because the car was modified to have more power changing it into something that they did not and do not sell. They have no obligation to warranty something they did not sell. I was told behind closed doors depending on the circumstances and the cost the dealership will often argue in favor of the customer and sometimes succeed but more often not. However that may be the dealership must now choose to either pay for all the parts themselves and cover the labor gratis or inform you of the bad news. Most of us are not going to be good enough customers to get the dealer to good will an engine meaning you're about to get a call from a service adviser that isn't good news.

So there you are... You decide to ask for a manager, service, sales, whatever. You make your case but get nowhere. You try to reach out to ownership, you get nowhere. You decide maybe it would be better if you drive down to the dealership and talk to them in person. There you are at the dealership, jumping up and down, yelling M&M act at the top of your lungs. It means nothing. You are not in possession of your warranty and never have been, in order to deny it the dealership needed only to say the words and it was done. But wait you say, Porsche cant do that, the M&M act has language stating that the dealer has to prove that the parts caused or contributed to the failure. You're right but not being in possession of the warranty you have to go through what may be a long process to prove it and it wont be cheap. Someone might tell you that the M&M act provides for the ability to ask for fees and it does but you are not guaranteed to get them even if you win. I won and asked for fees but did not get them.

Remember the part where they have to prove the cause? Again the reality is quite different than you might imagine. What happens is they have a "stock" case for most potential denials which includes expert testimony and a whole bunch of charts and graphs. They take this and adapt it to your particular case and should you go to court will present it as their argument. There is no beyond a shadow of a doubt because this is not a criminal case. That information will be taken as truth and you lose automatically unless you produce all the information needed to refute it. You are in other words going to be in the position of proving you are innocent.

That folks is the reality of what you might face. Might. A lot of things can happen on the way and if you're honestly in the right you should see the coverage you were denied and have a good shot at getting fees as well. You should not however take that as a certain outcome.

I've avoided talking about specifics because individual states have their own laws which can further impact warranty litigation but I have a few other observations. The first one is that people often talk about having their warranty voided in total but this is only possible under specific circumstances that wont typically apply to the discussion here. That I can remember off hand are odo tampering and salvage title but there are a few others. What you are going to be faced with is a denial of a specific coverage and/or the further the possibility of having the drivetrain warranty voided for power adders. The remainder of the warranty will remain in effect regardless. Also about these reps I think it should be understood that they aren't evil and are not necessarily out to get you. I once chatted briefly with one of these fellows when getting oil changed on one of my Corvettes. There was a slight leak at an o-ring from a fitting under the oil pan and they brought me back to show me. As I was standing there looking another fellow came over from a different car and looked at it. He asked about the car, how I liked it, the usual chit-chat from what I assumed was another car guy and he moved on. I had noticed the dealership guys were a little nervous during the conversation and it turned out that would be because the fellow I had been chatting with was one of those reps and the conversation had occurred just a few feet from my shiny new long tube headers. He didn't say a word about them although he had clearly seen them and nothing ever happened with my warranty. No flags, nothing. Would things have gone differently if he saw those headers and the car had just came in with a blown engine? Probably.

I'm not preaching at anyone here, I'm a modder and have enjoyed the hobby all my life. I posted because I hate to see this kind of misinformation go without some clarification about the real world of the process because the possibility for harm exists. I've no idea what an engine, tranny, diff, etc, cost here but I would be willing to bet many people would find replacing some of these items painful or might not be able to pay for them at all in a pinch.

Please keep in mind I'm not trying to scare anyone. It isn't likely most people will have a problem, it's a matter of what happens if you're the one that got unlucky. For myself I've gone both ways even after my encounter with Chrysler and the M&M act. Back when I had an E92 I decided I didn't want to be on the hook for a 26k engine and left it alone, I could have swallowed that pill but there would have been tears staining the check. On my Vettes on the other hand I let fly. In no way do I know what is right for anyone else other than to say that IMO a gut check should be made before proceeding.

End copy/paste...

Let me reiterate one more time, I'm not preaching at you folks. Do what you want but don't go into it blind without consideration of the possible outcomes. Know what you can afford if things go sideways. They probably wont but they might and you had best not believe that the M&M act is going to make your problems magically go away or you're going to be tasting some pain.

1 - 20 of 312 Posts