Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question:-
Have any of you, who have successfully been updated through SOTA, used your phone hotspot as the means of connecting/checking the server for the update, or are you all using a SIM card connection?

Background:-
We NEVER extended the original AT&T connection/account for our 2017 F Pace, nor did we replace the SIM with anything else. We have used the phone hotspot for all our connections, with all functions of ICTP (as well as AA) working successfully for four years.

SOTA was "activated" by our dealer a year ago as part of the S19B update. However, we have always had "Software up to date", as a response when checking for updates in this last twelve months. Last week's service at the dealer updated to S19C (not S20 for some reason). Now checking for updates, I still get "Software up to date".

So I'm starting to wonder if the SOTA update may NOT work, when using the phone hotspot as the connection, although that does not seem logical.

Appreciate any response to the initial question above. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You might want to double check that SOTA is still active on the vehicle by calling your SA. I know a number of people, myself included, that have not gotten a new OTA update since 19B or 19C without have the SA toggle the update. I have my 4th service coming up so I'll wait until then but I don't see a reason why this wouldn't work over the phone hotspot.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
202 Posts
My thoughts on this whole SOTA thing...and it's only thoughts that are bouncing around in my head, is that when you click on "check for updates', it isn't really checking with the JLR servers for an update, but it is just checking your individual ICTP to see if somewhere it downloaded an update and you simply never installed it. I think that is why so many people are all over the place with their level of update, meanwhile their system says "up to date". All my updates have been due to contacting my SA and having the update pushed to my car. I think only once did I start my vehicle and it said there was new software to be downloaded. Even just this past week when people were reporting that they got 20C, I did indeed get an update but it was the vehicle connectivity software that went from 18.2 to 19.2 My ICTP software was at 20B1 and that's where that stayed. Doing the usual "check for updates" got me the "up to date" message. My ICTP has been working perfectly with my iPhone 11 using iOS 14. But this past weekend on a trip I was using Waze via Apple Car Play when about 1.5 hours into the trip I get a "Apple Car Play Not Available" message. I try to switch to the Jag navigation and try to enter my destination there and it showed no internet connectivity (it's an area that does have connectivity) . The weird thing was my screen was locked up...it was showing full strength AT&T (car SIM) signal as well as full strength T Mobile ( my iPhone) signal. I stopped and shut down the vehicle to try and get a reboot, but the ICTP remained lit. Now I'm saying oh great, I'll stop somewhere and this system will stay on and next thing you know I'll have a dead battery! Anyway after about 5 minutes the screen finally goes dark. When it rebooted it did seem to be back to normal as everything worked like it should. Maybe just a little glitch in the system (we are used to those) or maybe it's now the next problem that needs to be tackled by JLR. I'll have to see how things go in the next few weeks. As far as the OP's question, I think the phone hotspot method should work just was well as the in car SIM. About the only difference would be that the car's SIM connection would probably see better signal strength as it has it's own antenna, while you phone may be stashed away in the car and not receiving such a strong signal. Naturally that's a moot point if your phone is on a different carrier than the car uses (AT&T) as it would depend on who's signal is better at that particular location. Happy Veterans Day to any veterans on the board!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Simple question:-
Have any of you, who have successfully been updated through SOTA, used your phone hotspot as the means of connecting/checking the server for the update, or are you all using a SIM card connection?

Background:-
We NEVER extended the original AT&T connection/account for our 2017 F Pace, nor did we replace the SIM with anything else. We have used the phone hotspot for all our connections, with all functions of ICTP (as well as AA) working successfully for four years.

SOTA was "activated" by our dealer a year ago as part of the S19B update. However, we have always had "Software up to date", as a response when checking for updates in this last twelve months. Last week's service at the dealer updated to S19C (not S20 for some reason). Now checking for updates, I still get "Software up to date".

So I'm starting to wonder if the SOTA update may NOT work, when using the phone hotspot as the connection, although that does not seem logical.

Appreciate any response to the initial question above. Thanks.
I just recently did an update over the personal hotspot from my phone. My 2018 FPace was stuck on 19B for a long time, never got any OTA updates until last week. I checked for updates while connected to personal hotspot and it said 20C was available. It showed 50MB as the size of the update. Update went through fine.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just recently did an update over the personal hotspot from my phone. My 2018 FPace was stuck on 19B for a long time, never got any OTA updates until last week. I checked for updates while connected to personal hotspot and it said 20C was available. It showed 50MB as the size of the update. Update went through fine.
Thank you so much for your informative response. As I mentioned, and @Gorgon concurred, it seems illogical that SOTA would not work with the phone hotspot. It was however the only distinction I could think of.

Very good to have you verify that indeed it works with a phone hotspot and to have your experience recorded on the forum for all. So, I'm now "stuck on" S19C and will just continue to wait and see. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much for your informative response. As I mentioned, and @Gorgon concurred, it seems illogical that SOTA would not work with the phone hotspot. It was however the only distinction I could think of.

Very good to have you verify that indeed it works with a phone hotspot and to have your experience recorded on the forum for all. So, I'm now "stuck on" S19C and will just continue to wait and see. I suspect I'm not the only one.

Thanks again
Hi there,

Had same issues in Australia getting updates. (Appears they don't enable updates on every vehicle automatically)

Whenever I see a post on the forum that an update is available, I contact my local Jaguar service centre (or even jaguar customer care on one occasion) and ask them to enable the latest software (im up to 20c) in topix for my vehicle.

Usually within 24 hours, I try the OTA update and it is available.

P.s. Since my vehicle isn't sim enabled, I can also confirm the updates work over a wifi hotspot from phone and have successfully done it twice.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts