Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
…...
…….. If you go into Settings (on your phone), there's an option to "Try the new Android Auto," which further says "For car screen only. Update now or wait for automatic update, coming soon." ……………...
……………..
Bingo. Thanks for the hint. Just came on OK. Will see how much difference it makes to the day-to-day experience.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
For all you Android types, there is a new and improved release of Android Auto. Getting good reviews.
Apple CarPlay big update is coming with IOS 13, sometime in September.
…...
………. If you go into Settings (on your phone), there's an option to "Try the new Android Auto," which further says "For car screen only. Update now or wait for automatic update, coming soon." I just now tonight flipped that option on and will try it tomorrow.

Have now used the new version for a week or so. I am either missing something simple, or it's "two steps forward and three steps back". Here's one retro-step I've encountered:-

In the previous version, if an event on my phone calendar had a specified "LOCATION", it would appear on the AA screen on the day of the event. Touch that address and AA would invoke Google nav. and an appropriate route. It is something @skyking alerted us to a good while ago. A great feature that makes up for the tepid IC Calendar app (although as mentioned several times, that app also looks like it was meant to provide this function - maybe eventually???). The "new & improved" AA shows nothing!

May be missing a basic set-up here, help appreciated. Similarly, although images in the AA write-ups show the new AA screen with an icon for Calendar, mine does not show up - no Calendar button on the AA screen. Voice command "what's on my calendar today" does work, but that doesn't give me the address and the simple one-touch entry into NAV.

All constructive inputs welcome. Would hate to think this is just cosmetic to keep up with ACP.

P.S. UPDATE ….. just did a search on the net. Seems like I'm not the only one; lots of complaints about this retrograde step. Sure has not changed my assessment from "lukewarm" … if anything, getting cold on the whole AA idea. Sure looks like the main purpose of the re-do was just to make it look like ACP. Not a good idea!!!!!

·
Registered
873 Posts
The new CarPlay (which is only in beta) has added the IOS Calendar to the new version. Never had it previously. And yes, if there is a location associated with the event, you can navigate to it. Sorry ExOz.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The new CarPlay (which is only in beta) has added the IOS Calendar to the new version. Never had it previously. And yes, if their is a location associated with the event, you can navigate to it. Sorry ExOz.
Yes, I know ... you pointed this out a good while ago …. good to see it will continue. And AA did indeed behave similarly. Not any more it seems.

An eternal optimist, I'm still hoping for an upGRADE in ICTP. In IC apps, Calendar events indeed show Location addresses (complete with a NAV icon), but nothing happens when you touch it. Similarly, Contacts in IC apps show both phone numbers and addresses … paradoxically, touching the phone # links to the ICTP phone module and initiates a call, whereas touching the address does nothing. I have to believe the original intent was to provide appropriate links from these apps. Sadly, there have been no meaningful functional improvements in the 2019 releases.

Adding these enhancements to ICTP, would have me happily forego AA (particularly now), although it is clearly superior at finding POI's. The (faint) hope of seeing this mentioned here is the primary reason why I still monitor the forum these days.

Cheers; thanks for responding.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts