Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Am I getting a good deal?

13K views 51 replies 27 participants last post by  GRVR 
#1 ·
Hi guys, just joined this forum. So long story short my wife wanted an SUV so we test drove the GLC Coupe, x4, RX350, Volvo XC90 and lastly the F pace. She immediately fell in love with the F pace but I couldnt find the color combo or options that she wanted in this area. looking online I found this used 2017 model (Premium, cold weather package, nav package, and 20" wheels) got the dealer down to 45,500 on the car, building it online It was coming out to about 51k. The car does have 3895 miles on it, the sales person told me the original owner was a heavyset older lady who purchased the car in SC and complained about the vehicle being too small so she traded it in for a Range Rover. I have gone ahead and gave the dealership a deposit and will pick up the vehicle in 2 days, do you think I got a a good deal ($5500 off MSRP)? The car had all the features I was looking for other than the vision package.

#2 ·
$5,500 off MSRP would be the biggest discount i've ever seen..... on a new F-pace. Keep in mind, you're buying used. It may not be super used, but 4k miles isn't a new car.

If it's in new condition, and they are honoring the new car warranty, then I'd say you got a pretty good deal.

#4 ·
5500 off msrp new would be amazing (and unlikely anytime soon)

if it's got all the stuff you're looking for and tend to keep cars more than 50k miles 4k is negligible. I would check the in service date but it shouldn't be more than 4 or 5 months off the warranty. you'll also save a bit on taxes, so that's always nice.

I'm looking at used too, dealers don't want to come down much off msrp, but there are some pretty good deals out there on low mileage used F-Paces, and they generally get the same APR for 3 year loans. e.g. cars.com has a 71800 msrp IRR with 4100mi asking 65900

#6 ·
I think it is an OK deal as long as it is in as new condition - no dings, etc. The mileage is quite low - only about 4 months of use. You mention $5500 of of list. The true discount is $5500 minus what discount you could have gotten off of new. I got $1500 as a reference so this would make it a $4000 reduction for being used.

#11 ·
Also I asked about CPO and he said they couldnt do it because it was still a 2017 and i still had the factory warrenty. They offered me an extended but it was 6 years 100k miles. I dont believe I will drive more than 60k in that time period so i declined.

I did notice today that when i am moving at slow speeds and have the wheel turned all the way it feels like its rubbing on somthing... has anyone else experienced this?

#12 ·
I think that sounds like something that might cost around $5500 to fix ! >:)

#13 ·
I test drove a lot of SUV and I came down to my decision. A 35t premium F Pace. I'm on the fence if I should buy or lease. In TX the dealerships are not giving any or much discount off the MSRP so I had to look out of state and it'll close be around $700 to transport as well.

MSRP $48,502
Lease price $44,500 - $2000 down with 6.25% sales tax = $595 month for 36 months/10k miles.

It's the premium with only navigation package.

I haven't asked for the sale price yet but will it be cheaper? Is this a good deal or should I wait since 2018 are rolling out ?

Thanks for your help !

#14 ·
I personally would put a big fat doughnut down on such a lease.

Plus will 10k miles a year be sufficient for you?

I would wait a bit and see if the TX dealers start to get a bit desperate for not being able to move their left-over 2017 inventory and get you a break on the MSRP.

#26 ·
Definitely, your monthly payment will be higher. But do the math, how much will you have spent at the end of the lease:

High down-payment with low monthly payment = X amount vs zero down-payment with high monthly payment = Y amount

If X and Y are about the same, then there is no point in putting any money down. Keep your down-payment money and invest it somewhere instead of letting any financial institution do that with your money!

Do a bit of research also on the fees and other so-called "mandatory" items dealers will often want to impose but you can always refuse to pay them.

Before signing, re-negotiate the monthly payment one last time and have the dealer knockoff an extra 30-50 bucks a month. They can do that by reducing the MSRP in the contract and recalculating all the lease numbers again.

#22 ·
I hope you at least have a *Nice Long Driveway* , so you can enjoy what the F-Pace has to offer !!!>:)

#23 ·
I don't think you can make a fair decision until you know the sale price of the same vehicle. Find that out first so you can do an analysis of how much the lease would cost you over 36 months compared to how much you think the vehicle would depreciate over 3 years and how much you could sell it for at that point.

Off the top of my head, the lease does not sound like a good deal to me. But then again, I am not a fan of leasing to begin with. It is basically like renting a house and paying someone else's mortgage for them (which I have done plenty of times but still don't like it.)

#24 ·
I would suggest trying to find a good used one and finance it. Certified Pre-owned comes with a better warranty if you can get a used one from jaguar dealer. Leasing can be hard to tell if you are getting a good deal or not.

#27 ·
The "lease price" you cite, known as the Capitalization Cost, should be the same as the purchase price. There may be an additional incentive for one or the other. 10% off MSRP would be very good here in NJ. I just ordered a 2018 Prestige 20d, and got 4% off. As far as leases go, the Jag lease for my car isn't great - cheap interest rate (money factor of .00022), but also low residual (53%), suggesting that JLR is also concerned about resale value - for comparison, I looked at a BMW 328d wagon (yawn) and its residual was 61%.

I finally went for the lease because the the total lease cost plus residual (should I want to buy it at the end of the lease) was pretty much equal to the total purchase price, and that's good enough for me. Now, as others noted, if I can just keep the mileage under 12,000 per year....

#31 ·
Did you finance the whole amount or lease? Where in Texas? That's almost a $10K discount! Wow

#35 ·
The dealer did the front tinting for me. Hmm my question was if the dealership you purchased is from Houston too? Which one if you don't mind me asking u? Good deal indeed.

#37 ·
Premium can go over $54K.

Cold Package, Nav Package, Vision Package, Wheel Lock Package, Protection Package. If it has some of the "non-package" options - Wifi hotspot, Sirius, roof rails it gets a Premium up to ~$53K. Upgrade from 19" to 20" wheels and you are right at $54K MSRP.

Since I'm pretty sure I paid closer to MSRP than I needed to, lol, I hope it is a pre-owned vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.