Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my 2018 F Pace 35T, got hit by a car which was traveling at least 50 mph. He it the corner of the front passenger side and smashed entire front. Airbags did not deploy and I hit my head on the steering wheel, bruised up my left shoulder and knee. Shouldnt the airbags have deployed?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m no expert, but I’ve had two other vehicles which had way way less damage than that and the airbags deployed.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Speaking of someone from experience with my 2019 SVR, my Driver side Airbag did deploy in my accident but it was a direct front blow. I was probably doing about 50 with the impact. I think the difference is that it was a direct front blow (picture below) on the front of the car, especially the front bash bar (which sits behind the bumper cover). The car was totalled and very damaged as you'll see from the picture, but the passenger side airbag did not deploy because no one was sitting there. I think in your case, because the car came from the side and the impact was more lateral, that could be a reason why the airbag didn't deploy on the driver side. The others probably shouldn't have depoyed either, unless you had a passenger sitting in the front, other than maybe the side curtain air bags. In your pics, while the front bumper cover is gone, the bash bar which sits behind the front bumper cover does have damage but it looks more pulled away from the car then pushed in and that could be the reason the airbag didn't deploy. If you are concerned though you could report it to Jaguar and I'm sure they'll look into it. They can't afford airbags failing

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!
Speaking of someone from experience with my 2019 SVR, my Driver side Airbag did deploy in my accident but it was a direct front blow. I was probably doing about 50 with the impact. I think the difference is that it was a direct front blow (picture below) on the front of the car, especially the front bash bar (which sits behind the bumper cover). The car was totalled and very damaged as you'll see from the picture, but the passenger side airbag did not deploy because no one was sitting there. I think in your case, because the car came from the side and the impact was more lateral, that could be a reason why the airbag didn't deploy on the driver side. The others probably shouldn't have depoyed either, unless you had a passenger sitting in the front, other than maybe the side curtain air bags. In your pics, while the front bumper cover is gone, the bash bar which sits behind the front bumper cover does have damage but it looks more pulled away from the car then pushed in and that could be the reason the airbag didn't deploy. If you are concerned though you could report it to Jaguar and I'm sure they'll look into it. They can't afford airbags failing

. View attachment 73897
Oh my goodness, I hope you are ok. Thanks for your input. Yes, I reported it to Jag as well. They will be looking into it.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Yes after about 6 weeks in two hospitals, including the ICU for about 2 weeks, I can't complain, way ahead of schedule according to the doctors. Best anyone can figure since it was a single car accident is I passed out. Hit a couple trees, a big one as you can see from the front impact circle. I just looked at the accident pictures again and while the Jaguar app said I was going 51 in a 45 the car went about 300 feet in the oncoming lane and shoulder before heading off road and hitting the tree. I don't remember the accident or time in the first hospital, so I guess I could have pushed the throttle a bit when I passed out and with the SVR engine accelerated quickly up to impact. Car had a lot of damage for going what was supposed to be 51. Accident happened in March of this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts