Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was kinda throwing the idea out there just to see if it was good idea. Kinda want one to have that cool sound when I'm driving around:D

Has anyone gotten one or know where I should start looking?

Thanks in advance!:)

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I would stay clear of K&N Intakes and filters...The oil on them reeks havoc with the MAF sensors..Go with a dry filter or CAI system if you can find one.

Reactions: Okie and Dakar09

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would stay clear of K&N Intakes and filters...The oil on them reeks havoc with the MAF sensors..Go with a dry filter or CAI system if you can find one.
^agree. If there is a kit that uses the AEM Dry Flow filter, that would be my choice. No oiled filters for me on fuel-injected car.

I do think these would sound more wickeder (a new word!!) if you opened the intakes up for an extra "growl" on the Growler. Probably not cheap, if you can find a kit, as you'd need two intakes for these. The stock tubing is nice and smooth, though, so I bet a kit would just include two new air boxes that bolt right up to the existing MAFs. Tight fit under there, though.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I also remember from another JAG forum..The guys were cutting off those little "L" chambers on the intake tubes and sealing the holes over smooth..supposedly they dampen some of the Supercharger whine too....I don't know about that..I would worry that modifying the tube might screw with the MAF flow.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would not modify the airboxes either. If anything, I'd remove them completely and fabricate something myself with a universal AEM filter (did this on past Volvos). This way you swap you unmolested stock parts back in if you need service.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Most of the K&N oil issues come from saturation during re-oiling. I never had any issues with a new filter on my Vettes. That said, are there any gains left to be achieved with this type of modification? I thought most of the OEMs have adopted freer flowing intakes and exhausts so the HP benefits from either today are pretty minimal. Aftermarket exhaust mods yield better sound but marginal HP boosts. Thoughts?

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
575 Posts
I would think the gains would be minimal, and this would be a purely auditory modification. Looking at pics of the Jag's intake, the piping seems really smooth and free of kinks, restrictions, or tight bends. That's where the gains would come from, by getting rid of corrugated intake tubes or sharp bends to "improve airflow" (for what it's worth).

I think the throttle induced growl is what people are after with intakes, and the $$$ of that may not be worth it, particularly in an engine that already sounds this good!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Most of the K&N oil issues come from saturation during re-oiling. I never had any issues with a new filter on my Vettes. ?
I agree..some people seem to think more the oil the better..so that's why I caution anyone not aware of the over oiling possibilities. And it easy to over do it.....

After I would clean and re-oil my K$N (if it was a conical type), I would stuff an old t-shirt into it an leave it overnight, or if it was a flat type, I would lay it on top of an old t-shirt and rotate every so often for 24 hours to make sure all excess oil was dabbed off...I did this even with new ones too.;)..Bottom line..a regular pain in the azz..so dry filters are best IMO.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I used K&N filters on my 1958 Volvo. But they are smaller round filters that are easy to oil lightly and the carbs are very forgiving if any residue gets in there. But I do the same "drainage" thing with an old towel and let them sit for several hours before putting them back on the car. As noted, it's very easy to over-oil them, and this is definitely not a case of "more is better".

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Between the exhaust and the noise the intake would make Wicketer is the word I would use Dakar09! I also agree I don't know if you'd pick up any power gains, but it would surely be louder!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Measurable power is very unlikely but the sound alone can be worth the ching for people like me. I'll be curious to see if any of the usual culprits put something out as more of these​ cars get on the road. I would only go with something that can be reverted back to stock, no cutting and so on.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Then again..If it is sound you're looking for..You can always take that ugly engine cover off and expose that beautifully engineered engine..It will run cooler and it will also let's the impressive whine of the supercharger shout out too...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Then again..If it is sound you're looking for..You can always take that ugly engine cover off and expose that beautifully engineered engine..It will run cooler and it will also let's the impressive whine of the supercharger shout out too...
I haven't done this but I should do a day and compare driving with the cover on/off. Would be interesting to see what difference I can hear.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I haven't done this but I should do a day and compare driving with the cover on/off. Would be interesting to see what difference I can hear.
I think you'll like it

Just look at this thing of beauty:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would not modify the airboxes either. If anything, I'd remove them completely and fabricate something myself with a universal AEM filter (did this on past Volvos). This way you swap you unmolested stock parts back in if you need service.
Thats what I did on my '04 TL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts