Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
I purchased a curt hitch for about $170 and have a body shop that will install the hitch for $450. Since they have to drop the bumper, I have also been thinking about adding the trailer wiring. Right now I am only using the tow hitch as a bike carrier, so I don't need any other lights. In the future I may need to tow a small trailer. Tekonsha makes a wiring kit #118785 for about $55 . I estimate the additional installation charge to be about $150. I am concerned with messing up the electrics. Has anyone used this wiring kit?
Haven't used it, but it is just tapping into the tail lights and turn signals on the car to get lights on the trailer. And as a bonus it claims to use compatible plugs so you won't be cutting wires or wire insulation to do the tapping. Your chances of messing up the electronics should be minimal...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Haven't used it, but it is just tapping into the tail lights and turn signals on the car to get lights on the trailer. And as a bonus it claims to use compatible plugs so you won't be cutting wires or wire insulation to do the tapping. Your chances of messing up the electronics should be minimal...
Thanks for the info. After some thought, I decided against using the wiring, and had the hitch installed by a company that specializes in the sale and installation of hitches and racks. They did a great job. Total out of pocket for hitch and install was about $550 - a lot less than the $2200 quoted by the Jag Dealer for comparable work. Planning a trip this weekend and will see how the new hitch and new bike rack handle the weight of two electric bikes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks for the info. After some thought, I decided against using the wiring, and had the hitch installed by a company that specializes in the sale and installation of hitches and racks. They did a great job. Total out of pocket for hitch and install was about $550 - a lot less than the $2200 quoted by the Jag Dealer for comparable work. Planning a trip this weekend and will see how the new hitch and new bike rack handle the weight of two electric bikes.
Sounds like a good solution; you won't feel the 100+ pounds of bikes unless your hitch likes to rattle around (most modern bike racks seem to come with a tightening system to keep that from happening).
Just to be pedantically clear to a Legal Eagle type... This is not fully equivalent to the *very* expensive (when installed after delivery) Jag system: the Jag parts include some electronics to interact with the trailer and an aftermarket trailer controller to actuate brakes on a trailer. And I would guess it also enables the "back the d*** trailer up" camera functionality. Not needed for your use case of course.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like a good solution; you won't feel the 100+ pounds of bikes unless your hitch likes to rattle around (most modern bike racks seem to come with a tightening system to keep that from happening).
Just to be pedantically clear to a Legal Eagle type... This is not fully equivalent to the *very* expensive (when installed after delivery) Jag system: the Jag parts include some electronics to interact with the trailer and an aftermarket trailer controller to actuate brakes on a trailer. And I would guess it also enables the "back the d*** trailer up" camera functionality. Not needed for your use case of course.
I agree with your assessment. I definitely did not need the brake controller or trailer camera set-up. I am using a Thule EZ Fold XT2 (model #903202) Rack that is well designed for "heavy" e-bikes. The stinger on the Thule rack tightens very nicely into the 2" Curt Hitch. For my "lighter" bikes, I had been using a factory roof rack and bike holders. Gas mileage (not surprisingly) improved when I switched to the hitch rack.

One drawback - when in reverse the rear sensors are, understandably, always on - emitting a steady tone. Anyone know if the volume can be toned down a bit?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
One drawback - when in reverse the rear sensors are, understandably, always on - emitting a steady tone. Anyone know if the volume can be toned down a bit?

I have heard a few other members complain about this issue ,
and was wondering if anyone had considered using a *Hitch Receiver Adapter* ???
This one is the *Roadmaster 10" rise/drop Hitch Adapter* !
You can reverse how you put it in , depending on if you want to Raise or Lower it !

This would essentially RAISE your Bike Rack & Bikes *10" higher* !
I am wondering if that would make it NOT set-off your sensors ???

Just a thought !!!0:)

P.S. This would also set the Rack & Bikes further away from the vehicle ,
leaving you more room for the Cargo Hatch to open and close !!!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
The *Curt Manufacturing Co* also offers this *Hitch Receiver Adapter* ,

that will allow you to mount a *Bike Rack* and *Pull a Trailer* at the same time !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
The Curt Manufacturing Co also offers this Hitch Receiver Adapter...
That looks interesting. But with a bike rack installed it will severely limit the turning radius (and backing radius) with dire consequences for failure!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
That looks interesting. But with a bike rack installed it will severely limit the turning radius (and backing radius) with dire consequences for failure!
I think it will work out alright , just as long as you plan your trip ,
to always be going STRAIGHT Forward , or STRAIGHT Backward !!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That being said , I was just sharing some photo options , of *Hitch Receiver Adapters* !0:)

P.S. I think the first photo option I shared , of the *10" Rise Adapter* ,
would possibly be a good solution to getting the Bikes to NOT be in the line-of-sight of the *Rear Bumper Sensors* !

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it will work out alright , just as long as you plan your trip ,
to always be going STRAIGHT Forward , or STRAIGHT Backward !!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That being said , I was just sharing some photo options , of *Hitch Receiver Adapters* !0:)

P.S. I think the first photo option I shared , of the *10" Rise Adapter* ,
would possibly be a good solution to getting the Bikes to NOT be in the line-of-sight of the *Rear Bumper Sensors* !
Thanks. I will look into it. By the way, do you know why I am sometimes able to see the photos that forum members include in their postings, and other times, I cannot. For instance, I could not view the images you attached to your message.
Regards,
legaleagle4

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
By the way, do you know why I am sometimes able to see the photos that forum members include in their postings, and other times, I cannot. For instance, I could not view the images you attached to your message.
Regards,
legaleagle4

I'm not sure why that is happening for some members !
But others have expressed that they are having the same issues ,
with not being able to view attachments !!!

Maybe it has something to do with what type of device you are using , to view the Forum ???

I see everyone's photos fine , on my Desktop at home , and on my Android Tablet at work !!!
Not that I would ever get onto the Forum WHILE at work !!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:0:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just had a Draw-Tite Hitch installed by the shop who installs for the local Jaguar dealership. BTW for one third the price.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I just had a Draw-Tite Hitch installed by the shop who installs for the local Jaguar dealership. BTW for one third the price.
*WIRING* included ??? Or just the Hitch ???

·
Registered
41 Posts
*WIRING* included ??? Or just the Hitch ???

Here is the rub. On 2018’s the only wiring harness that will work is the one from Jaguar which is imbedded in their hitch. This means you can’t have a non jaguar hitch. Understand this means you can’t install any aftermarket hitch and have electric to your trailer for lights. You are at the mercy of Jaguar and dealerships for pricing. I was quoted $3,000. for a hitch at the dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
wiring

On our MY 2019 Silver Leaper (F-PACE), we ordered the tow package. The wiring connector at the at the receiver has both connectors. The round 7 bladed as well as the "flat", 5 pin connector. The round 7-bladed plug is the newest way of connecting to a trailer. It can handle all of the lights as well as the trailer brakes.

To give yourself a quick review of how a lot of the hardware and wiring harnesses work, try this link to the Auto Zone site. Very educational.
https://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=towing-guide-home#

Luck,
King Fala

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is the rub. On 2018’s the only wiring harness that will work is the one from Jaguar which is imbedded in their hitch. This means you can’t have a non jaguar hitch. Understand this means you can’t install any aftermarket hitch and have electric to your trailer for lights. You are at the mercy of Jaguar and dealerships for pricing. I was quoted $3,000. for a hitch at the dealer.
Not true. I installed the Tekonsha trailer wiring kit, brake controller, 4-pin to 7-pin adapter and the hitch all myself. Works great. Don't expect dealer help or any help from vendors, unwilling to install.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Jagged Edge, I agree with cwomike that is not true. I have a Stealth Hitch on my Jaguar SVR which I installed and it also came with an electric hook up which I used their directions to splice into the wiring harness. My lights all work fine with whatever trailer I'm pulling.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts