Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Jaggy, the install went very well and everything is working as described. Your instructions are spot on. Even the USB plug mod was simple enough! The entire process with 3 friends took about 3 1/2 hrs. The only part that didn't work as well for me was the carpet cutout for the UAD interface. Even with removing the carpet padding, there was still not enough under-seat clearance. We simply removed the cut out carpet piece which gave us just enough clearance. As stated in your instructions, I did have to reset my auto up windows. BTW, the torx/star driver for the seat bolts is a size E12. Simply attached it to a 3/8" ratchet wrench. It was a challange at times to find the release tabs for the electrical connections to the Harmon unit. Now I'm awaiting the lighted sill plates and wireless phone charger from China! Thanks again for all your assistance!
The sill install was equally straight forward. Be prepared to dig out broken mounting pegs form the original sills!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The sill install was equally straight forward. Be prepared to dig out broken mounting pegs form the original sills!
Finally received the wireless phone charger from China. It perfectly replaces the small pad in the very front of the center console and looks like original equipment. It does require removal of several trim pieces, but the F-Pace interior is very simple to disassemble and everything snaps back in place without difficulty. I did have a minor problem with the aftermarket wire harness as one of the pins was slightly bent and wouldn't make contact, but it was mostly "plug-and-play" after that. It would have been more efficient to install the charger while installing the CarPlay if I'd had all the equipment at the time. Hope this helps anyone interested in performing these upgrades.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have purchased a fpace 2018 portfolio with the 8inch incontrol system, my dealer said i cant upgrade it so apple carplay with work. It also has the reversing camera function. Is their any alternatives that will continue to have the incontrol functions

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Do a search here, there are aftermarket options for CarPlay on ICT.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have purchased a fpace 2018 portfolio with the 8inch incontrol system, my dealer said i cant upgrade it so apple carplay with work. It also has the reversing camera function. Is their any alternatives that will continue to have the incontrol functions
[/QUO
Check out post #7 and forward in this thread. The device from UAD is perfect!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happy to hear everything went well JocDoc!

Just an update;
Been a few months since I did the UAD install and it works great. Wireless carplay is really nice. The wireless charger and illuminated door sills look and work great as well.

My 2017 F-Pace comes off lease in July and I will end up buying it. After I purchase it I will do Velocity AP tune (+76 HP to 416 HP). Stay tuned!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wanted to share with the group that I bought the Joyauto WJLR-1 ((WJLR-1)Land Rover Discovery 5 Jaguar F-Pace WiFi Wireless Apple CarPlay AirPlay Solution – Joyeauto Technology) and had it professionally installed in my 2018 F-Pace (with ICT) back in March. Since then I have been delighted with the results. Carplay works perfectly over Wifi and it had zero impact on any of the built in functions. As described in the sales materials when you are in Carplay mode the only steering wheel controls that work are the volume but that works fine for me. Like I said I had the unit professionally installed as this was well beyond my ability. @Jaggy, thank you for your thorough instructions - the installer said they were perfect. In total the unit was about $425 and the installation another $450 so for about $900 I have CarPlay working - which makes my FPace just about perfect.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just wanted to share with the group that I bought the Joyauto WJLR-1 ((WJLR-1)Land Rover Discovery 5 Jaguar F-Pace WiFi Wireless Apple CarPlay AirPlay Solution – Joyeauto Technology) and had it professionally installed in my 2018 F-Pace (with ICT) back in March. Since then I have been delighted with the results. Carplay works perfectly over Wifi and it had zero impact on any of the built in functions. As described in the sales materials when you are in Carplay mode the only steering wheel controls that work are the volume but that works fine for me. Like I said I had the unit professionally installed as this was well beyond my ability. @Jaggy, thank you for your thorough instructions - the installer said they were perfect. In total the unit was about $425 and the installation another $450 so for about $900 I have CarPlay working - which makes my FPace just about perfect.
It's my understanding that the Joyauto unit is, in fact, an exact clone of the ID Core unit that is provided by Unique Audio Developers. Glad it's working well for you! Did you buy it from Alibaba?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm glad these aftermarket options for CarPlay and Android auto are working out well for ICT users. I exclusively use CarPlay with my ICTP unit, so I guess I could have saved some coin and simply got ICT instead of ICTP now that I'm exclusively using CarPlay.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm glad these aftermarket options for CarPlay and Android auto are working out well for ICT users. I exclusively use CarPlay with my ICTP unit, so I guess I could have saved some coin and simply got ICT instead of ICTP now that I'm exclusively using CarPlay.
Like you, I’ve abandoned the standard Jag media offerings and use CarPlay exclusively. Also, since I have the 380w sound system, the aftermarket EQ on the ID Core unit offers significant enhancement to all levels of music playback. I’m in the process of adding an aftermarket powered subwoofer for further enhancement!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Good to hear from you JocDoc! I hope all is going well for you and you guys are all healthy and staying safe. Maybe we can have another meet after you get your audio upgrades done. I'd love to hear how it sounds. I've been tempted to do something with the SVR audio around a subwoofer upgrade, but I think I'd stop there. Just not sure where to start with the ICTP system in that respect.

Reactions: MTHM and JocDoc

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's my understanding that the Joyauto unit is, in fact, an exact clone of the ID Core unit that is provided by Unique Audio Developers. Glad it's working well for you! Did you buy it from Alibaba?
I did buy it from Alibaba. I started on the Joyauto site and chatted with a support engineer after some questions I had.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I did buy it from Alibaba. I started on the Joyauto site and chatted with a support engineer after some questions I had.
They seem like a reasonable organization. I got my wireless charging tray from them. There was a minor problem with one of the connectors and they were prompt in answering my questions. Delivery takes awhile but, hey, it's coming from China!

·
Registered
187 Posts
BTW, I emailed UAD asking for any updates to the ID Core unit. They sent a reply with the most recent update. I'll try installing it later today and report back.

·
Registered
187 Posts
BTW, I emailed UAD asking for any updates to the ID Core unit. They sent a reply with the most recent update. I'll try installing it later today and report back.
I just chatted with UAD to find out what the update includes. They stated that it was an Android improvement only update and not necessary for Apple CarPlay. Think I'll bypass this update until there is one for Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Jaggy, the install went very well and everything is working as described. Your instructions are spot on. Even the USB plug mod was simple enough! The entire process with 3 friends took about 3 1/2 hrs. The only part that didn't work as well for me was the carpet cutout for the UAD interface. Even with removing the carpet padding, there was still not enough under-seat clearance. We simply removed the cut out carpet piece which gave us just enough clearance. As stated in your instructions, I did have to reset my auto up windows. BTW, the torx/star driver for the seat bolts is a size E12. Simply attached it to a 3/8" ratchet wrench. It was a challange at times to find the release tabs for the electrical connections to the Harmon unit. Now I'm awaiting the lighted sill plates and wireless phone charger from China! Thanks again for all your assistance!
Doing the same install now. I think there may be room under the plastic box to put it there with some foam to secure. Is there a place for the Aux cable at the Head unit per Jaggy? or is the aux cable not needed as the aux connection is a part of the other wiring? I'm also building a custom charging plate. As much as I like the rubber mat, it's too small for my iPhone X, so adhering the guts of a Qi charger under won't work, so I'm building a new tray to sit on top.

Finally, if anyone knows where to find the wiring diagram for the audio lines, I need to figure out which are the front right and left for my center speaker addition :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Doing the same install now. I think there may be room under the plastic box to put it there with some foam to secure. Is there a place for the Aux cable at the Head unit per Jaggy? or is the aux cable not needed as the aux connection is a part of the other wiring? I'm also building a custom charging plate. As much as I like the rubber mat, it's too small for my iPhone X, so adhering the guts of a Qi charger under won't work, so I'm building a new tray to sit on top.

Finally, if anyone knows where to find the wiring diagram for the audio lines, I need to figure out which are the front right and left for my center speaker addition :)
If you're talking about the aux cable with the UAD, there is nothing you need to do with it. Just plug the dead end plug into the aux input in the armrest storage.

The wireless charging pad I got is flat and my iPhone X (not max) fits perfectly heres a video of the unit I installed.

Continue to keep us informed as to how your center speaker install is going.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have iPhone X max and it fits and works great with charging pad.

One other thought about placing the unit under the plastic box may interfere with the units its antenna reception. OOne option maybe getting an extension cable for antenna?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I took a cheap $10 wireless charger from Target and gutted it. Pulled the pad and used super thin dark grey rubber carpet tape to make a new mat over it, using some thin foam (from the carplay box to cut out around the charger guts. Used double sided tape to stick the new piece in and the rubber tape over it. I also super glued some fiber optic strands to the led lights on the guts and routed the under the center plate so that it glows faint red around the silver ring when not used but blue when phone is charging. I purchased nice 4" coax infinity ref speakers for ~$60, and found the speaker magnets slight too big for the center basket. I used a Dremel to cut out the plastic basket for the new speaker. I found the positive left wire and the neg right and tapped post amp, then ran wires up behind the charging plate with connectors ready. I ordered a 3 ohm resistor for the 3 ohm speaker, as I expect the low impedence speaker introduction would have really strained the amp without additional resistance. I think it would have received effectively double the wattage from the amp. Once the resistor arrives, I plan to pop the charging ceiling plate, add to the (+) wire, and plug it all up. I used some plastic holeless drill screws to mount the speaker on a few rubber grommets.

I did notice no sound via "Aux" on Carplay, but BT Audio on the F-Pace seems to pass the signal. Curious if you guys had a similar issue there? I also added the 12" Cerwin Vega sub over the spare tire, which really brings out lower frequencies. Only other thing I need to figure out is how to defeat the stop/start so that I don't have to hit the button every time....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I took a cheap $10 wireless charger from Target and gutted it. Pulled the pad and used super thin dark grey rubber carpet tape to make a new mat over it, using some thin foam (from the carplay box to cut out around the charger guts. Used double sided tape to stick the new piece in and the rubber tape over it. I also super glued some fiber optic strands to the led lights on the guts and routed the under the center plate so that it glows faint red around the silver ring when not used but blue when phone is charging. I purchased nice 4" coax infinity ref speakers for ~$60, and found the speaker magnets slight too big for the center basket. I used a Dremel to cut out the plastic basket for the new speaker. I found the positive left wire and the neg right and tapped post amp, then ran wires up behind the charging plate with connectors ready. I ordered a 3 ohm resistor for the 3 ohm speaker, as I expect the low impedence speaker introduction would have really strained the amp without additional resistance. I think it would have received effectively double the wattage from the amp. Once the resistor arrives, I plan to pop the charging ceiling plate, add to the (+) wire, and plug it all up. I used some plastic holeless drill screws to mount the speaker on a few rubber grommets.

I did notice no sound via "Aux" on Carplay, but BT Audio on the F-Pace seems to pass the signal. Curious if you guys had a similar issue there? I also added the 12" Cerwin Vega sub over the spare tire, which really brings out lower frequencies. Only other thing I need to figure out is how to defeat the stop/start so that I don't have to hit the button every time....
Your charger install sounds very creative! As long as it gets the job done!

I'm still curious about the center speaker install. How did you disassemble the dash to get to the "empty space?" Where did you find the left and right speaker wires to tap? Is 4" the largest size speaker that will fit in the empty center space? BTW, there is a very descriptive topic in the archives on how to disable the start-stop. I did mine a few weeks after owning my 2017!

Not sure what the problem is using aux in. That is really the way to go. The EQ on the UAD really makes a huge difference in sound quality. I didn't find the EQ to work using BT audio. Be sure to recheck your documentation and, if needed, chat with UAD customer service. I found them to be invaluable. Not sure where you are, but they are more available "live" in the mornings on GMT.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts