Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner and am so intrigued by the F-Pace that I test drove one recently. Wow! Can you please comment on your impressions of the above? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
What's Advanced Driver Assistance? Do you mean Adaptive Dynamics? Or do you mean the driving aids like Lane Keeping Assist, Driver Condition Monitoring, and Traffic Sign Recognition?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's Advanced Driver Assistance? Do you mean Adaptive Dynamics? Or do you mean the driving aids like Lane Keeping Assist, Driver Condition Monitoring, and Traffic Sign Recognition?
It appeared from the brochure that "Advanced Driver Assistance" was 1 option consisting of: Autonomous emergency braking, Lane departure warning, Lane keep assistance, Traffic sign recognition with adaptive speed limiter, Blind spot monitor, Park assist, Surround camera and Adaptive cruise control. Apparently I am wrong. Please clarify. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It appeared from the brochure that "Advanced Driver Assistance" was 1 option consisting of: Autonomous emergency braking, Lane departure warning, Lane keep assistance, Traffic sign recognition with adaptive speed limiter, Blind spot monitor, Park assist, Surround camera and Adaptive cruise control. Apparently I am wrong. Please clarify. Thanks folks.
You are correct. There is a Driver Assistance package. Adaptive speed limiter, surround camera system, park assist, adaptive cruise control, may be some other stuff on lower trims. It is an options package for most trim levels, but I believe it's standard on the S.

I don't have my F-Pace yet, but I test drove with this package and adding it was a no brainer. All of the safety features are nice, but I spend a lot of time in cruise control in traffic that speeds up and slows down, so the adaptive cruise control is the crown jewel of this package for me.

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Adaptive speed limiter, surround camera system, park assist, adaptive cruise control, may be some other stuff on lower trims. It is an options package for most trim levels, but I believe it's standard on the S.
These are an option on the "S".

Surround Camera System

Gives you 360° exterior vision on the Touchscreen. This helps with various maneuvers from parking by a curb to getting in and out of tight spaces and junctions. Includes four cameras (front, side and rear) showing the surrounding area of the vehicle, enhancing visibility of obstacles and hazards.

Park Assist

Makes parking in tight spaces easier than ever. The F-PACE can accurately steer itself during both parallel and bay parking maneuvers – the driver only has to control the brakes and accelerator. An exit-assist function can help guide the F-PACE while leaving a parallel space.

360° Parking Aid

With virtual object tracking along the sides of the car, 360° Park Distance Control gives confidence in confined situations, at speeds up to 10 MPH

Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Speed Limiter

Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) technology detects speed limits, including variable limits, and no passing signs via the forward-facing camera, then displays them to the driver. The Adaptive Speed Limiter uses TSR's information, supported by map data from the optional navigation system, to help keep F-PACE within the appropriate speed limit

Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist and Intelligent Emergency Braking

Adaptive Cruise Control allows you to set a speed and uses radar technology to automatically adjust your speed to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. If that vehicle slows, your F-PACE reduces its speed to maintain a safe distance. F-PACE resumes its pre-set speed as soon as the road in front is clear. Should the car in front stop completely, the Queue Assist function brings F-PACE to a smooth halt. Once the traffic moves off, touch the accelerator and F-PACE will automatically proceed to the pre-selected speed while re-establishing a safe distance behind the car in front

From JLR's web site.

I found no need for any of these options. JMO

·
Registered
517 Posts
These are an option on the "S".
Oops, thanks for the correction Mike. Sorry for the misinformation!

The S was never up for consideration for me since I'm one of them evil diesel-heads so I didn't study it. For some reason I thought it came standard with almost everything.

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Oops, thanks for the correction Mike. Sorry for the misinformation!

The S was never up for consideration for me since I'm one of them evil diesel-heads so I didn't study it. For some reason I thought it came standard with almost everything.
That would be the First Edition. There are no major options on that model.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Surround Camera System

Gives you 360° exterior vision on the Touchscreen. This helps with various maneuvers from parking by a curb to getting in and out of tight spaces and junctions. Includes four cameras (front, side and rear) showing the surrounding area of the vehicle, enhancing visibility of obstacles and hazards.

Park Assist

Makes parking in tight spaces easier than ever. The F-PACE can accurately steer itself during both parallel and bay parking maneuvers – the driver only has to control the brakes and accelerator. An exit-assist function can help guide the F-PACE while leaving a parallel space.

360° Parking Aid

With virtual object tracking along the sides of the car, 360° Park Distance Control gives confidence in confined situations, at speeds up to 10 MPH

Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Speed Limiter

Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR) technology detects speed limits, including variable limits, and no passing signs via the forward-facing camera, then displays them to the driver. The Adaptive Speed Limiter uses TSR's information, supported by map data from the optional navigation system, to help keep F-PACE within the appropriate speed limit

Adaptive Cruise Control with Queue Assist and Intelligent Emergency Braking

Adaptive Cruise Control allows you to set a speed and uses radar technology to automatically adjust your speed to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle ahead. If that vehicle slows, your F-PACE reduces its speed to maintain a safe distance. F-PACE resumes its pre-set speed as soon as the road in front is clear. Should the car in front stop completely, the Queue Assist function brings F-PACE to a smooth halt. Once the traffic moves off, touch the accelerator and F-PACE will automatically proceed to the pre-selected speed while re-establishing a safe distance behind the car in front
Quoting to save some time, as I have this package, and I think it is the BOMB! That said, specifically: I only purchased it because of the Adaptive Cruise, which I have on my other Jaguar, and find it the thing for the daily commute and on long trips. Maintains the distance with the car in front regardless of speed, so you are not constantly tapping the brakes to slow down and then hitting the resume button. When you are behind someone doing less than the speed limit, and go to pass, you simply hit the turn signal and turn the wheel, the adaptive cruise give a bit of punch to the throttle and you are on your way.

As for the other features of this package.... the 360 degree camera is also one that I use often. The side cameras, when in drive or reverse, focus on the front wheels, which saves you from scrubbing the rims on a curb.. I know, a "skilled" driver would not need this, and this is the first one with it that I have owned, but it does allow me to get up right next to the curb without touching it. The 360 birds eye view is also fun to show off, even though it has little usefulness. The backup camera, really good in getting really close to object, as the rear parking sensors indicate red when you are still about 8 inches away from something (see Parking Aid below).

Park Assist: Fun to try.. I have only used it a few times, to see how it worked. Freaky to have the steering do its thing on its own, but darned near perfect. It really cuts close to the car on the side when parallel parking, enough to have me grab the wheel and override the first couple of times, until I got used to trusting the system. That said, I think I have used it three or four times to actually park, most times, the backup camera and side mirrors are plenty, for one skilled at parallel parking. I have not tried the other modes.

360° Parking Aid: Pretty good stuff, but if you have situational awareness, not really needed. Nice little graphic with line segments around the vehicle that beep in increasing frequency as you get closer, then turn red when you are going to make impact, but I found it less than accurate. I have a very tight, one-car garage, where inches matter, and I found it shows red when there is still six to eight inches of clearance. That said, for general awareness, especially in the rear quarter with its limited visibility, nice to have.

Traffic Sign Recognition and Adaptive Speed Limiter: I have not used these at all. The speed limiter does not make sense to me. I see the utility of the sign recognition when used with the adaptive cruise, but again, have not tried it at all.

I say get the package if the above and what others share resonates with you.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The Driver Assist Package, which VZX-CO described, is an option only on the R-Sport and S models. That said, as you go up in trims you get more assist features as standard equipment.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm just going to comment on weebs comments, to save time. :)

Love adaptive cruise, the lack is a deal breaker. I skipped this several times after it first became available because I viewed it as useless foo-foo. Soon enough I got stuck with it bundled into a package where I learned just how wrong I was, adaptive cruise is a truly great feature.

When I'm in the city apartment I use the 360 camera quite a bit along with all the other views. Not much room and every little bit of information helps. Out at the house I seldom look at it at all.

Park assist, same as above, in town I use it frequently because things are tight, out of town, don't even give it a thought.

The sign recognition can be handy simply in terms of being informed of the speed limit. I hate that it constantly uses space in the HUD, it would have been enough to have it flash the new speed a few times to get your attention at a change and save the valuable HUD space for more useful information. If you don't have the HUD you still get it in the cluster. This one doesn't hurt anything so I give it a thumbs up simply because it has no downside and on the odd occasion can be helpful.

I cant find a use case for the adaptive speed limiter, I have no idea why it is there or who in their right mind would want it. I do think that all the people that worked on it and their supervisors back in good old Britannica should immediately be drug tested.

I say get the package because gadgets rock! :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
I actually use the TSR quite a bit. I originally thought it was kind of a waste but I find as I change streets I am always checking it for speed limits. Helps to keep me out of trouble!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have the package as well, and second most of the comments. I was never a fan of cruise control (I'm too much of a control freak), but the adaptive cruise is excellent for road trips. I've kept the lane keep system on 'vibrate' mode, and it's a good reminder when i drift. I does have trouble identifying lane markers, so it frequently is not active. I'm considering switching to the 'steering' mode, where is nudges you back into the lane to see what it's like. I've also had the drowsy driver alert go off a couple of time during late night drives - guilty as charged, and it is helpful that it tells you to get your act in gear or get off the road.
Cameras are great for close parking - I also use it to make sure I'm in the parking spot straight.

All in all, I'm glad I dropped the coin on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm a long time Jeep Grand Cherokee owner and am so intrigued by the F-Pace that I test drove one recently. Wow! Can you please comment on your impressions of the above? Thanks.
Coming from a Jeep SRT, if I could do it again, I probably wouldn't make the jump to the F-Pace. My fault for a mostly impulse buy. Stopped in to see the F-Pace, looked at a couple of models, and purchased the "S" model the same day. Didn't realize that many of the features on the SRT were options on the F-Pace S and didn't have them on the configured model until I had signed the papers and driven off the lot as a new owner.

I expected more, and have no one to blame but myself.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
JEEPS and F-Paces are way two different vehicles..... If I was going out in a Midwestern blizzard whiteout.... I'd take the Jeep hands down.
If I was going on a 1500 mile summer vacation thru the mountains, it would be the F Pace....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Adaptive Cruise, I use it all the time in traffic on the interstate or even more so if I'm traveling long distance on a 2 lane with moderate traffic. Makes the drive much easier and in some ways, much less stressful.

I also use the 360 degree camera all the time to see my clearances. I tend not to rely on the parking sensors, since they seem a little wonky to me.

I've used park assist about 5 times in 13k miles, and it's worked flawlessly each time. I parallel parked one other time by myself using the 360 degree camera to check clearances. I just didn't try the auto park on that occasions. but as you can see I don't have to parallel park much.

I have the heads up display which also shows the speed limits that the car reads and that is often very handy, however, it can be wrong from time to time so you can't rely on it totally.

I also have not used the speed limiter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts