Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I had a major orthopedic surgery. I'm currently on crutches and have not been able to drive.

So today after PT, I decide to go into my apartment garage to check on my car and this is what I find, along with a note from the person who did it. I am a complete nutcase when it comes to the car's appearance, as evidenced by my many other posts.

I called the person and she admitted fault, and a claim has been filed with her insurance company. Although this really, really, really bothers me and happened to me at the worst time ever, she was very apologetic and cooperative.

I just had Ceramic Pro applied a month or two ago so I called my detail shop. He hooked me up with a referral to be a body shop that they have worked with on several occasions for other high end cars like Lambos, Porsches, etc. I have a few questions for the group. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1. I told the State Farm agent about the ceramic coating. Now the car hasn't been examined yet by an adjuster (it will be as soon as I can safely drive), but the agent said over the phone that State Farm would pay for the coating to be reapplied as long as I have my receipt (which I do). I want it reapplied over the whole car (not just where the damage is) so that there is a nice uniform look and coverage to the whole car. I don't want the front bumper to have different optical properties than the rest of the paint. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

2. Other than the parking sensors, is there anything else that could be damaged (i.e., hidden mechanical damage)? It looks like the wheel and tire are okay. This is 2017 S and includes the package with the 360 degree camera.

3. The body shop recommended by the detailer is not in State Farm's "network" and is not the recommended shop of my Jaguar dealer. According to the detailer, the shop recommended by my dealer is good but there have been a few instances where the detailer got the car back from that body shop and the paintwork wasn't great. I feel inclined to go with the detailer's recommendation over my Jaguar dealer. The detailer spoke very highly of the quality of his recommended shop's body work. Reviews online for both places are good. Thoughts?

4. If they need to replace the bumper, how long would it take to get a new OEM bumper? Would it need to come from the UK?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'm sooooooooo sorry this happened to you :crying:
My body shop was not in State Farm's Network either but they made it very clear to me that I had the right to choose whatever shop I wanted and I did. As far as the ceramic coating goes do you know it has to be sanded or perhaps polished off to remove it so if you want it reapplied to entire vehicle it will have to be sanded/polished. I think due to the location of damage if the paint job is done correctly you probably wouldn't notice a difference in the ceramic coat on the different panels but if the paint is bad you will absolutely notice it. I think you should have a chat with the shop recommended by your detailer and check out some of their work but you also need to make sure that it is a Jaguar approved facility or it can affect your warranty through Jaguar.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sooooooooo sorry this happened to you :crying:
My body shop was not in State Farm's Network either but they made it very clear to me that I had the right to choose whatever shop I wanted and I did. As far as the ceramic coating goes do you know it has to be sanded or perhaps polished off to remove it so if you want it reapplied to entire vehicle it will have to be sanded/polished. I think due to the location of damage if the paint job is done correctly you probably wouldn't notice a difference in the ceramic coat on the different panels but if the paint is bad you will absolutely notice it. I think you should have a chat with the shop recommended by your detailer and check out some of their work but you also need to make sure that it is a Jaguar approved facility or it can affect your warranty through Jaguar.
Excellent points, thank you. I guess my thought on the coating was that they could just apply another layer of Ceramic Pro over the existing layer on the non-damaged portion of the car and then the newly painted piece would be coated from scratch. That way the whole car would have a matching, fresh top layer coat of Ceramic Pro. But if that's not possible and they'd have to sand or polish away the existing coating all over the car, then ugh...that might not be the best route to take.

As far as the detailer's recommended shop not being part of the Jaguar network of body shops, I wasn't aware that it could void the warranty. I'll raise this issue with them.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I cannot tell if there is any indentation or if it is just scuff marks? I had this happen on my rear quarter panel via my girlfriend and it was very similar, it was scuff marks and paint exchanges but no dents. The person was very cool and understanding about it and he had very minor scuff marks compared to my F-pace so he did not want to file a claim which was fine with me. I would go with the body shop that the detailer recommended, since they would be the ones that have to do more work if the paintwork didn't come out nice.

The sensor looks fine and it doesn't look like she hit it at high speed, probably pulling in or backing out and rubbed your bumper. They will not have to replace your bumper, I understand this is annoying especially after having an expensive ceramic coating applied but it isn't that serious to where you need to inquire about a new bumper and safety tech, you're just stressing yourself out and you don't need that after your surgery. Just needs to be sanded, repainted and coating re-applied. I have been in your shoes and it gets better as time goes by and once you have dates that everything is getting fixed. Hope the recovery process (from your surgery, not the lady hitting your car ;)) is going well otherwise.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Looks like a nice little scrape. I don’t think there would be anything wrong with the structure behind the bumper. Just make sure when the job is done that each sensor works as it is suppose to. At least you were able to track down who did it and admitted it. Good luck with state farm paying for the whole car for the coating, I’m not sure they would.

And I hope you have a speedy recovery. I was on crutches for 8 weeks, those things suck.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
It looks like (to me) that the bumper is scuffed/scratched down to or below the primer. I would want a new bumper. As far as the ceramic coating is concerned I'd think just redoing the bumper will be just fine. I would be much more concerned about an identical paint match. And yes the bumper will come from the UK. The MY is too new for a knock off replacement.

Oh, and by the way that's going to make its way onto Carfax so just be aware.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Jman, I remember reading about your fender bender as well as Cat Lady's accident. I guess I'm part of the Fpace accident club now. Thank you for helping to put things into perspective though. I don't think there is damage behind the bumper or any significant dents, but to be honest I can't really bend down that far at the moment to check and my girlfriend took those pics. I just want to get the ball rolling on the repair but I have to prioritize my recovery.

It looks like the lady turned into me while pulling into her spot, but as you can see, my front bumper is a solid one to two feet from her spot, so wtf!?

And yes, Anenoso, crutches blow. I hate them; I can't do anything without help. I had a torn labrum in my hip repaired and need the other one repaired next year. Woke up a few months ago with bilateral hip pain out of the blue. Never ever had hip pain. I go from super active to having pain squatting down to put air in my tires. This is a big reason why I got Ceramic Pro. The injury has made it difficult for me to detail like I used to. Never would I have thought I'd be getting hip surgeries in my 30s.

MkenM, I'm aware of the Carfax. This is a lease though, so I'm not as concerned about the effect on resale as I would be if I purchased.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It looks like (to me) that the bumper is scuffed/scratched down to or below the primer. I would want a new bumper. As far as the ceramic coating is concerned I'd think just redoing the bumper will be just fine. I would be much more concerned about an identical paint match. And yes the bumper will come from the UK. The MY is too new for a knock off replacement.

Oh, and by the way that's going to make its way onto Carfax so just be aware.
Mine was as deep if not deeper and the body shop I used did fine, once an adjuster looks at that they would never recommend a new bumper for scuff marks. There is no indents, no structural damage... just paint exchance and deep scuffs. I would of rathered a brand new rear quarter panel as well but that was going to be to expensive.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
My guess is since there is no gouging of the plastic will just sanded and repaint the bumper. That is really not as bad as you thing. I would take it to a Jauguar Dealer woth out question. The ceramic coating is like a thin glass layer so it there to protect the shine that’s really all it does. You don’t want it reallied to the whole car. They would have to compound the entire car then paint correct then reapply. Too many things to make it look worse.

You might want to get PPF (Paint Protection FilmJ applied to your bumpers after you get it back. I have that on my car someone did something similar to the front and left black marks on my Ingot. Since I had the PPF it just buffer out and never touched the paint. It well worth the money.

DP

·
Registered
448 Posts
4. If they need to replace the bumper, how long would it take to get a new OEM bumper? Would it need to come from the UK?
My car needed new bumper after "Oh, deer!" incident #1. It was in the shop for 10 days and about 4 days longer than original estimate. Before I brought it in I specifically asked if they will be able to get OEM without any delays. They assured that they "checked computers" and would be able to get the parts in almost next day or so. I was concerned about that since I had one of the first 2018 models and probably first 2018 model repaired at particular body shop.

What I learned is that they do not order any new parts until #1 - car is brought into the shop, then #2 until they assess the damage but taking front bumper fully off and any other parts that could have been damaged then, #3 until insurance adjuster comes in, checks the damaged parts and takes the pictures. I get it why they do that even if it feels like unnecessary delays from my perspective.

My car was repaired at certified Geico shop where Geico adjuster had her own office space. I can only speculate that you may introduce few more days of additional delays if you bring your car to 3rd party shop. Another benefit from having it done at Geico shop was that they gave me life-time warranty for their repairs. Actually workmanship was guarantied by Gaico, not the shop but it was good to know.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Damage looks minor, and a reputable shop will check the wiring connections behind on the sensors to be sure there is no other damage. I can't tell if you have the fog lights but that is another set of connections I'd have them check. The damage does look beyond buffing to me, so paint matching will be critical. When the shop does the work, I would not accept it until you've looked at it under some very bright lighting.

My F-Pace was done by a very reputable shop when the jag dealer dented my door during a service visit. When I picked it up, it looked fantastic under indirect sunlight and even under normal lighting it looks great. However, about two weeks after taking the car back, I came out into the parking lot after work to drive home and the sun was setting and low on the horizon but still very bright and aimed directly at the side of the car that had the damage, and as I was walking to the car I noticed I could see where the shop blended the color and the clear coat. The area they blended has a slightly more purplish look to it then the rest of the bluer Casieum Blue car. When I got it done, I was told that they painted the entire door panel that was damaged, obviously they didn't. I haven't taken it back or complained at this point, but every day I walk out to the car when the sun is low on the horizon after work, I keep telling myself that I should.

So check the blending well with some very bright lights directly on and around that area when they repaint it to make sure you are satisfied with the metallic blending, as well as the color matching and clear coat application. Or push hard to have the entire bumper painted to make sure you have a solid match and don't get caught with blending.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Armed with everyone's very helpful feedback, I arranged to have the car estimated by both the adjuster, who was happened to be located at the Jaguar-recommended shop, and the detailer's recommended shop. Both shops concluded that this will be about a $700 job (subject to any additional damage discovered once the bumper is removed), with no need to replace the bumper. Both shops more or less indicated that the bumper would be removed, repaired, repainted, and reattached. So whether I want it or not, there will be no new bumper.

The adjuster, while acknowledging that the insurance company would pay for the reapplication of the ceramic coating, was "not able" to include the detail work in the body work estimate. I pushed him on this but he told me that since the coating would be reapplied 30 days after the repair that State Farm doesn't address this issue until then. I have verified this with the other body shop as well as my detailer. And my detailer told me that they would handle payment directly with the insurance company at the appropriate time. But it sounds like only the bumper will be recoated. So you guys were right.

I've decided to go with the detailer's shop. I spoke with the owner for about 45 minutes when I was there. He explained his background, interest in cars, knowledge of auto painting, etc. It was a very personalized approach to body work and I got the impression that he recognized my insanity with the car and will treat it accordingly. Plus, when digging deeper I came across two recent negative reviews on paint issues for the Jaguar shop. No thank you. So the repair is scheduled for the first week of January. Hope this turns out well.

Last issue relates to car rental. I want a rental for when the car is in the body shop and when it is in the detail shop. I have been told that the insurance company would pay for both. But I don't want a Ford Focus. Not because I'm some kind of snob who has to drive luxury cars, but while I am recovering from surgery a bigger car or, preferably, an SUV, would make getting in and out much easier. A bigger, heavier car would also be better in snow. We'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Last issue relates to car rental. I want a rental for when the car is in the body shop and when it is in the detail shop. I have been told that the insurance company would pay for both. But I don't want a Ford Focus. Not because I'm some kind of snob who has to drive luxury cars, but while I am recovering from surgery a bigger car or, preferably, an SUV, would make getting in and out much easier. A bigger, heavier car would also be better in snow. We'll see how this goes.
they are required to provide you with a comparable vehicle to the one damaged by their client so just tell them what you wish. They may decide to give you a dollar amount per day and then it would be up to you to find what you need

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they are required to provide you with a comparable vehicle to the one damaged by their client so just tell them what you wish. They may decide to give you a dollar amount per day and then it would be up to you to find what you need
State Farm told me its policy is to provide a rental that is capable from getting a person from point A to point B and nothing "special," absent extenuating circumstances. So I told her I need a bigger vehicle to allow me to get in and out easier post op, on top of the fact that with feet of snow, some tiny FWD car won't get me from point A to point B. She seemed annoyed (like the additional rental cost is coming out of her weekly paycheck) and acted like she didn't know what an all wheel drive vehicle was, but she eventually caved and placed the order with Hertz for an AWD SUV. I just hope I don't get a monster sized SUV because someone will probably hit that too while parked!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
State Farm told me its policy is to provide a rental that is capable from getting a person from point A to point B and nothing "special," absent extenuating circumstances. So I told her I need a bigger vehicle to allow me to get in and out easier post op, on top of the fact that with feet of snow, some tiny FWD car won't get me from point A to point B. She seemed annoyed (like the additional rental cost is coming out of her weekly paycheck) and acted like she didn't know what an all wheel drive vehicle was, but she eventually caved and placed the order with Hertz for an AWD SUV. I just hope I don't get a monster sized SUV because someone will probably hit that too while parked!
yeah, it's their job to tell you no and sadly it is your job to fight for what you are entitled to.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage inflicted on your car. Ceramic coatings are great until you have the problem of repairing paint damage and I was well advised by a very experienced body shop manager here in the UK to avoid these treatments like the plague.Some of our insurers here will not cover the extra work to remove these coatings by sanding to remove,painting and then reapplying so I now consider that I was well advised.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car is fixed, but please excuse the poor picture quality. I think they did a pretty nice job. I have looked at it under various light sources and can't tell that the bumper was repainted. Also, there was no damage to any parking sensors or other parts. Although when the body shop washed it, they installed swirls in sections of the black trim around the car. Interesting because those trim pieces were coated. When I take the car in next month to the detailer to have the bumper re-coated, I'll address the trim.

The job took a week, and the insurance company did come through with getting me an AWD SUV - a Kia Sportage. Not bad for what it is and the price, but the rear camera was terrible, both in terms of screen size and picture quality. Handled fine in the snow. But it's nice to be back driving my own car.

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
That’s very good to hear. Nothing like a great paint job. That is always one of my concerns when cars get scratched or dinged. Looks really good and I hope your nerves are settled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts