Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is this system is OUTSTANDING! I love the fact that you can choose from Meridian or Dolby or DTS. Dolby seems to have the most resonant base, Meridian the clearest Treble, DTS the most perfect balance between the two, but not the best at either bass or treble.

I was just sitting in my F-Pace in the garage listening to James Horner's "A Call to Arms" from the Civil War movie "Glory" (Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes) one of the most inspirational movies I've ever seen. The sound track is hauntingly beautiful. The sound inside my F-Pace made me think I was sitting in the theater watching the movie again, that's how awesome the sound. Actually, it was even better than sitting in the theater. Definitely better than the systems in my Acura and former Lexus. I didn't think any automobile system could beat those but I was wrong.

Another reason for buying the F-Pace over the Macan. To beat the F-Pace 825 Meridian in a Macan, you have to pay $3,000 extra for the Burmeister. Ridiculous. If you don't get the Burmeister, the alternatives are vastly inferior to the Jag's 825 Meridian system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with the 825. I love great sound while driving and can't wait to listen to it in person

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's good to hear, Trek. I know Meridian can make great gear, and was really hoping they stepped up their game vs the maxxed out system in my 2013 XF. Also glad to hear you were evaluating with a proper source (not satellite radio, or MP3).

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to hear, Trek. I know Meridian can make great gear, and was really hoping they stepped up their game vs the maxxed out system in my 2013 XF. Also glad to hear you were evaluating with a proper source (not satellite radio, or MP3).
Actually, the music was from a plain old USB thumb drive. It sounded way better than even my pretty darn good external speakers with subwoofer setup that I have attached to my PC (I'm a gamer).

I downloaded my music from my PC onto a thumb drive. I still haven't figured out how to transfer my music onto the car's SSD, but thumb drive is supposed to be a first step. I suppose I need to read the manual a bit more.

Still, even the CD I popped into the unit -the theme music from "The Last Samurai," another extremely inspirational movie- sounds magnificent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
CD or thumb drive should be similar quality, if you are using lossless compressed files like FLAC, AIFF, or uncompressed WAV files (like a CD).

If you didn't use lossless files, then you should get another bump-up in sonic performance when you play some full-rez files with no lossy file compression (16 bit 44.1/48 Khz).

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'd have to say I'm quite disappointed with the audio system. My 2003 Infiniti fx45 sounded better. All the doors in the fpace have terrible rattles when the bass hits. I don't think that's acceptable for such an expensive truck. Needles to say I will be ripping apart all my panels to put back on properly so they don't rattle, also the sub bass needs some help so maybe I will add a proper subwoofer as I don't see one in the vehicle. Perhaps that should have put a real sub and not used the doors for sub bass and the doors wouldn't rattle as bad.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Meh. My B&O system in my S4 sounds much more crisp. Don't get me wrong, the Meridian sounds good, just not quite as refined.

Which is interesting since I feel like the car (even though we completely love it) as a whole is not as refined.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd have to say I'm quite disappointed with the audio system. My 2003 Infiniti fx45 sounded better. All the doors in the fpace have terrible rattles when the bass hits. I don't think that's acceptable for such an expensive truck. Needles to say I will be ripping apart all my panels to put back on properly so they don't rattle, also the sub bass needs some help so maybe I will add a proper subwoofer as I don't see one in the vehicle. Perhaps that should have put a real sub and not used the doors for sub bass and the doors wouldn't rattle as bad.
Umm.... are you sure you have the 825 system and not the standard 380? The 825 has 16 speakers + a sub and definitely doesn't use the door speakers for bass. It sounds like your are describing the stock 380w unit, not the 825 Meridian Surround one. The FE should definitely have the full 825 stereo, but I'm not sure why you can't find the sub if that's the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got the 825W in my FE, not really happy with it... it's not bad but a step down from my previous XFS Bower&Wilkins 1200W.

The Meridian has relatively poor medium, (not loud and clear as there are with B&W or the High-end Burmester)
Spatialization, bass are nice. Trebble quickly become 'shrill' when you increase a bit the volume.
And overall sound quality decrease when the volume is more than half..

I use the DTS to get a bit more medium.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The top B&W in my 2010 XF was much, much better than the highest level Meridian in my 2013 XF. I was hoping the F-Pace top-o-line Meridian would be a substantial improvement over the 2013 (as good as the B&W in the 2010).

Tbw- have you played around with the EQ, and how many hours to you have on the speakers (play time).

More speakers and lots of watts don't make a great sound system, so when companies headline specs with # of speakers and watts--- it can be very misleading as to actual sound quality. I'd be far more interested in a frequency plot from 20 Hz to 20 Khz at a reasonable listening volume, some distortion (THD) figures, and a waterfall plot from at least 30 Hz to 200 Hz, to judge the quality of the bass. Given that all the cars are basically the same shape/volume, there is no excuse for a car company to not have a lab supply this data. It would cost very little, and most audiophiles can do this at home with any laptop and a few hundred $$$ worth of hardware (mic, stand, mic preamp).

The switch from the B&W to Meridian was a substantial step down, at least compared to the B&W in 2010 XF. I've been very disappointed with that system and this is coming from someone who's owned Meridian home gear with great results. I know they can make great equipment... Hoping it's just a break-in issue, or maybe just a setting adjustment issue, Tbw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Chris,

Only 1000km so far, so I keep in mind there is possibility for improvement... but I bet that will never reach the B&W quality in terms of medium/treble anyway. Seems a very similar feelings like you regarding the switch from B&W to Meridian in JLR cars.

I've played with EQ.. but you only have treble, bass and sub settings available, missing the medium. The sound was a bit improved by reducing a bit treble and bass with DTS settings... but still not totally happy with it. Really need the possibility to increase the medium, hoping it's not a speaker limitations... I will try with my iPod EQ later.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the FE. It sounds like a 1990 civic w a sound system. My doors rattle terribly. If the doors were tight it would probably sound much better. I used to do car audio installs and I produce music, I know distortion very well and this car is riddled with it. I called the dealer and they said they would try and fix it. I could fix it but need the service manual to dismantle my brand new car. Quite annoying for a car at this price level. Yeah 825 watts of pure rattles. If you have an ear for it you will immediatly notice it. It's like a scratch on something only you know about, and all you can do is stare at it. In fact I'm sitting in the truck now....that's what inspired me to rant about it. My mechanic said not to buy a jaguar because it wouldn't be refined for the price, perhaps he's right, system sounds like crap, I have the rear spring issue, my bumper has a tab that's loose and the wifi doesn't work. Most would say "well you bought the first one". I did that with my Infiniti and it was the best car. Drove it for 13 years before I found a truck that had the look and features that inspired me to waste money on. Not impressed so far. It was this or the Maserati, the closest Maserati dealer was 4 hrs away so I went w the jag......

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the FE. It sounds like a 1990 civic w a sound system. My doors rattle terribly. If the doors were tight it would probably sound much better. I used to do car audio installs and I produce music, I know distortion very well and this car is riddled with it. I called the dealer and they said they would try and fix it. I could fix it but need the service manual to dismantle my brand new car. Quite annoying for a car at this price level. Yeah 825 watts of pure rattles. If you have an ear for it you will immediatly notice it. It's like a scratch on something only you know about, and all you can do is stare at it. In fact I'm sitting in the truck now....that's what inspired me to rant about it. My mechanic said not to buy a jaguar because it wouldn't be refined for the price, perhaps he's right, system sounds like crap, I have the rear spring issue, my bumper has a tab that's loose and the wifi doesn't work. Most would say "well you bought the first one". I did that with my Infiniti and it was the best car. Drove it for 13 years before I found a truck that had the look and features that inspired me to waste money on. Not impressed so far. It was this or the Maserati, the closest Maserati dealer was 4 hrs away so I went w the jag......
Sounds like you simply got a lemon. That's unfortunate. The only issue with my FE is the creaking suspension which will get repaired tomorrow. By the way, what country are you in?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Meridian system is good - seems to have a lot of capability but they don't give you the adjustments to tap into it. I think the Bang and Olufsen system in my S4 is a little better, but it also could be because the cabin space is much less in the S4. Overall, I think the Meridian system does extremely well for your average listener although audiophiles will be left pining for more.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
The Meridian system is good - seems to have a lot of capability but they don't give you the adjustments to tap into it. I think the Bang and Olufsen system in my S4 is a little better, but it also could be because the cabin space is much less in the S4. Overall, I think the Meridian system does extremely well for your average listener although audiophiles will be left pining for more.
Yep, I've said that before. The B&O on the S4 is much more crisp with deeper lowers and crisper highs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sounds like you simply got a lemon. That's unfortunate. The only issue with my FE is the creaking suspension which will get repaired tomorrow. By the way, what country are you in?
Im in the USA, I also figured out my Bluetooth Is not working properly, as I can't play music from my phone, only talk on it....... Unless it's plugged into the Usb.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi, this is not normal for the F-Pace. Before I started taking anything apart, I would go back to my dealer. The rattles issue is on the F-Types, not the F-Pace. Very odd, and too bad you have this experience. I am dealing with a "freezing" issue, which is a different one for sure.

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have to second taking it to the dealer to look at. I play loud music with tons of bass and there are no rattles for me. Also you should have no problems using Bluetooth for playing music off your device. Sounds like a bad system you should have replaces (including whatever is causing rattles).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yup. Mine had the door panels removed today to "tighten" everything. The quality of his car is a mess. The JD Powers survey is going to kill them. I love the car but I just can't believe the quality. I guess I'm supposed to live with a hood that moves and is a distraction because the stamping of them and the bad engineering is going to create a mess for them. It sucks.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
All I can say is this system is OUTSTANDING! I love the fact that you can choose from Meridian or Dolby or DTS. Dolby seems to have the most resonant base, Meridian the clearest Treble, DTS the most perfect balance between the two, but not the best at either bass or treble.

Trek, I can't wait till I get that chance to sit and listen to that 825w system as well. I almost settled for the 380w system until you and I had that short chat on the forum about two weeks ago. That is when I decided to wait for the Caesium Blue FE and that 825w system that comes with the tech package. I really wanted that in the first place, but the bugs with the ICTP system were scaring me away. Your comments drew me back and I'm very glad I decided to wait. I really do need a solid sound system in my vehicle since I do spend a bit of time in it every day. I love listening to music and feeling that music when I drive. thanks for helping me change my mind.

So I went on the Shipping site today and my FPace FE lands in Baltimore tomorrow, so hopefully worst case I have no more than another 30 days, but hopefully they will hit their target for 8/5.

Keep enjoying that stereo, I hope to join you listening to the same soon!

Reactions: VZX-CO and Peter
1 - 20 of 103 Posts