Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some of you may think this is a naive question, but what are the differences and why do some people say they'll never drive diesel? I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger on a prestige and I thought I'd go with the turbo 4c. I liked the ride and thought it was peppy. But now after reading other's comments about how they're sitting on lots, I'm reconsidering. Thank you!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My biggest resistance to diesel is because were I travel regularly there are not as many gas stations/pumps that sell diesel as compared to gasoline. I would prefer not to have to wait behind the 1 or 2 diesel pumps or drive 15+ miles out of my way to get diesel. Most gas stations near me have 18 to 20 pumps of which at most 2 might be diesel, but there are still many gas stations that have 0 diesel pumps. If the gas stations in my area all had as many diesel pumps as gasoline pumps I would have a different opinion.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the US, a lot of people feel that diesels have a reputation for being noisy and/or smelly. The diesels of olde certainly had that problem, but modern diesels have gotten that under control a lot better, especially inside the cabin. Before ordering my F-Pace S, I tested a diesel just to compare the ride of the smaller wheels, since the S that they had for test drives had the summer 22's on it. The sound of the engine wasn't bothersome at all.

Depending on where you live, diesel fuel also may not be as readily available as gasoline. So people have it in their minds that they have to find a truck stop in order to fill up.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ignore them and get what you want. :) Those of us on here with diesels are perfectly happy with our selections.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup, what bpmba said. If you liked it, who cares what others think? There are way too many personal factors involved in each of our decisions to be truly objective.

I almost feel like I know too much about this **** vehicle now. It's definitely the most I've researched any car, to the point of freakin paralysis. Every bad commentary on ICTP or leather etc just makes me more nervous lol. Time for another test drive. Waiting til January to order so I don't have to subject a new car to salty roads in winter...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Ignore them and get what you want. :) Those of us on here with diesels are perfectly happy with our selections.
+1 for diesel. I'm happy with mine. Very peppy, and fun to drive.
I actually started mine up in a closed garage the other day, and I was shocked that there was no exhaust smell at all.
Needless to say, I didn't let it run too long.

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
20 Posts
I actually started mine up in a closed garage the other day, and I was shocked that there was no exhaust smell at all.
I have previously owned and driven a 2.0 litre Jetta manual tranny diesel and I liked it a lot. I also had, at the same timing, as a second car, a C5 Corvette which was a blast to drive. So I am not sure that it is a diesel vs gas thing as much as an acceleration issue. The V6 petrol engines provide a different car driving experience as evidenced by the 5. vs 8. acceleration statistics. Both still a good experience but you need to decide what you are in the game for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha I agree! I've never researched a vehicle quite this much and now I might know too much for my own good! Time to just pull the trigger.

·
Registered
341 Posts
+1 for too much research. :)

I think the acceleration generally is great. I just did 1000-ish miles round trip VA-CT-VA. Not once did I feel underpowered. Can you beat people 0-60? No, not usually. So what. Can you accelerate out of/around stupid situations on Rtes 95 or 81 that involve cars and trucks? Absolutely, every time.

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the same thing when testing the Remote Start function on my smart phone. I was also surprised there was no exhaust smell, but I usually make it a practice to open my garage door a crack and keep the garage side service door wide open when running the engine.

I have previously owned and driven a 2.0 litre Jetta manual tranny diesel and I liked it a lot. I also had, at the same timing, as a second car, a C5 Corvette which was a blast to drive. So I am not sure that it is a diesel vs gas thing as much as an acceleration issue. The V6 petrol engines provide a different car driving experience as evidenced by the 5. vs 8. acceleration statistics. Both still a good experience but you need to decide what you are in the game for.
We still have our diesel VW Beetle TDI manual shift, and it's a hoot to drive. In California and Hawaii, my wife would get around 45 mpg on mostly city driving. And whenever I have the "Need for Speed", I have my C5 Corvette for that V8 sound and power.

We chose the FP diesel because we enjoy taking road trips across the country. With a 15.9 gal tank, the 2.0 diesel will get around 400-450 miles between fill ups (I hate frequent stopping on long road trips). I've not had any problem with pickup from a stop, nor any problem passing on the freeway.

You won't go wrong if you choose the supercharged V6 engine. It just comes down to what your priorities and desires are. Long road trips with fewer stops, creature comfort, and technology were our priorities, which is why we loaded it with just about every option available. No matter what you decide, the FP is a beautiful and unique looking vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Modern diesels are nothing like the older ones. They are quiet, smooth, and nice to drive. My only concern with a 2.0 in the F-Pace is top end acceleration. I'll be doing another test drive tomorrow to get a better feel for the car at speeds. I'm one of the few that will only buy this vehicle as a diesel, so I'm hoping for the best!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Modern diesels are nothing like the older ones. They are quiet, smooth, and nice to drive. My only concern with a 2.0 in the F-Pace is top end acceleration. I'll be doing another test drive tomorrow to get a better feel for the car at speeds. I'm one of the few that will only buy this vehicle as a diesel, so I'm hoping for the best!
We will be interested in your impressions after the test drive. I have to assume you have read the diesel reviews here.
Top end acceleration is not a real strong point, compared to the gasser. Where it shines is at low and middle speeds. Lots of low end grunt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My biggest resistance to diesel is because were I travel regularly there are not as many gas stations/pumps that sell diesel as compared to gasoline... If the gas stations in my area all had as many diesel pumps as gasoline pumps I would have a different opinion.
I've never had a problem finding diesel. And since 3% of cars in the US are diesel (50% in Europe) having just a few pumps works out fine.
Maybe other parts of the country are a bit different than what is found out West?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've never had a problem finding diesel. And since 3% of cars in the US are diesel (50% in Europe) having just a few pumps works out fine.
Maybe other parts of the country are a bit different than what is found out West?
Same here, no problems finding diesel. In fact several of my local service stations have recently added diesel pumps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm on my fourth diesel, F Pace Prestige with 1500 miles. Around town and suburban driving yields 33+mpg. Diesel is everywhere in the south at a 10% price premium, but with 30% better mpg you come out way ahead. Handles better than V-6 modesl since weight balance is enhanced with lighter weight engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We will be interested in your impressions after the test drive. I have to assume you have read the diesel reviews here.
Top end acceleration is not a real strong point, compared to the gasser. Where it shines is at low and middle speeds. Lots of low end grunt.
Today was my second test drive with the diesel F-Pace, but it was my first on the highway. I took it up to about 85 mph with fairly heavy acceleration. The low speed acceleration is great as we've all discussed. No issues there. I tested the car in area with short on-ramps and I had no issues getting up to 70 mph to merge.

On the first stretch of highway I repetitively slowed back and then hit the gas fairly hard to either pass or simulate passing other cars. The F-Pace did well. Like other diesels, there comes a point where giving it more gas just doesn't do much. That's fine and to be expected. I'd bet most drivers that are unfamiliar with turbo diesels would find that slightly odd and would possibly complain about it, but that's normal. For high speed acceleration, the 2.0L diesel doesn't have immediate throwback response liker a gasoline high-rev engine, but she did well. I could feel a quick and steady increase in acceleration as the turbos revved up coupled with an ever-more powerful push-back into my seat as the engine began delivering max power.

In comparison to my '15 VW Diesel Golf (don't judge me here, I love that car), the F-pace has stronger acceleration both at low speeds and on the highway. I'd sure hope so since it's twice as expensive! Having said that I really can't think of a situation where an F-pace will not have enough power, and that was my main concern.

By far my favorite moment today was actually merging on an uphill on-ramp. The F-pace conquered that hill as if it were nonexistent. Really it was the moment that sold me on the engine and demonstrated why I love diesel in general. Additionally with the engine sitting at just over 1500 rpm at 65 mph, you'll always find yourself in the engine's sweet spot.

One of the other enormous bonuses that I don't see people discussing is how quiet the ride is. A lot of people on these forums talk about how good the exhaust note is on the gasoline engines. I'm sure it is wonderful, but I could care less if I hear the engine. In fact, I'd prefer not to hear it at all. I'll drive a silent beast any day, which is what she is.

Conclusion:
Trying to put my bias aside, I do wish the diesel F-Pace had quicker acceleration and response in the upper highway speeds (i.e when I'm speeding 75+). However, that's a wish and not a complaint. The car is just fine, and it is a crossover afterall, not a sports car. I highly doubt Jag would have released this car if the engine weren't up to standard. It has been highly tested and tuned, so let's keep our faith with them a little. If you need more power than it'll give, you're probably being reckless anyways. I'd probably feel the same way about the acceleration in an S just due to it being heavier than a sports car.

All things said, the car is a beauty. I am sold and I believe it is the engine is right for me. The car I test drove only had 200 miles on it. These engines probably won't be fully broken in for at least 20, 30 or even 40,000 miles. If I were a betting man, it won't fully feel right until about 10,000 miles. My current vehicle grew more responsive and powerful and continues to perform better to this day at 36,000 miles. Diesels get stronger with time.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Great review. Thank you very much. Appreciate your time and effort:D

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Handles better than V-6 modesl since weight balance is enhanced with lighter weight engine.
Excellent. Never heard that before.
Take that all you V6 gassers>:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am about to be the ex-owner of a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen Diesel MT6 with a Diesel Power tuner in it to goose up acceleration a bit. Today I drove the F-Pace 20d, and it blew the VW away for acceleration, noise, and handling. Wow. Want to wait and see the 2018 Volvo XC60 PHEV, but this test drive may make me just jump in now!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts