Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Jman97,

yes, but I didn't want this to be permanent until I was sure it's what I wanted. I was also worried about them matching the black properly. I also like the carbon fiber look so I figured for $250, I'd give this a whirl for a little bit and see how much I liked it. I found I do like the carbon fiber look so I may look at the HydroDipping or whatever they call it, and if that isn't something that is doable at a reasonable rate for the 6 pieces that need to be done, I'll probably go with the paint approach longer term if the vinyl doesn't hold up well.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Looks awesome! Pix of the rear bumper closeup would be appreciated. Cheers
Hopefully I'll get the car back this week and can take a close up to show what I mean by my comments.

Reactions: martinPL

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Jman97,

yes, but I didn't want this to be permanent until I was sure it's what I wanted. I was also worried about them matching the black properly. I also like the carbon fiber look so I figured for $250, I'd give this a whirl for a little bit and see how much I liked it. I found I do like the carbon fiber look so I may look at the HydroDipping or whatever they call it, and if that isn't something that is doable at a reasonable rate for the 6 pieces that need to be done, I'll probably go with the paint approach longer term if the vinyl doesn't hold up well.
Gotcha, thats why its my mission to find a detail shop that I can get some minor things done and build up a trust so I know they won't try to charge and arm & leg or f*** up. I have multiple things I want to get done to my girlfriends car and my F-pace. But that shop did a really nice job so it seems like they know what there doing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
PA, I love the look. I have on order a black S with the black package, but I feel like it needs a bit more contrast so I was thinking of doing this, then I saw your pics, now I'm pretty sure I will. I am even considering going with the red carbon fiber look (on most of the same places you did), but I am afraid it might be too dramatic. Unfortunately I have a December delivery date so I can anticipate going back and forth with the color choices another several thousand times.

I would love to see close up pics of the rear. Also, did you consider doing the side mirrors? I know you can buy the real carbon fiber ones as accessories, but $1080 each is a bit steep. Though they do like amazing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMHO, real carbon looks not the best unless it is absolutely perfect and the wave is meticulous. Decal CF does great job and at a fraction of the cost. I do not consider it cheating - just similar to CF look but (almost) always perfect for less $ - why not? I have it planned to. Just need to selectively pick the areas not to overdo it - often less is more :).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feel ya on the less is more (for me). But it's fun to see the more is more cars too!

I guess I haven't seen too many real carbon fiber jobs gone bad, but I'm sold on the wrap. I just have to decide if I go black cf, or the darker reddish/black cf (which I think will look amazing, but it might be too much).

·
Registered
44 Posts
I feel ya on the less is more (for me). But it's fun to see the more is more cars too!

I guess I haven't seen too many real carbon fiber jobs gone bad, but I'm sold on the wrap. I just have to decide if I go black cf, or the darker reddish/black cf (which I think will look amazing, but it might be too much).
Perhaps Photoshop it and compare the options. Would love to see the it if you do it. Reddish accents might nicely complement red calipers on your S.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I would love to see close up pics of the rear. Also, did you consider doing the side mirrors? I know you can buy the real carbon fiber ones as accessories, but $1080 each is a bit steep. Though they do like amazing.
GSAMF, I actually did have him do the mirrors initially. If you look at the one picture at the top (side shot in the woods) you'll see the mirrors are done there. However, the vinyl does shrink a little bit after it's installed, and the mirrors showed issue with this shrinkage more than any of the other parts since the vinyl was stretched most to cover them. After 3 days there was a faint line of blue showing around the edge of the carbon, so I called the shop and he said he wanted to do them again and adjust his approach a little. That will be done when I get my car back from the dealership and take it back to them to fix this and a few other things.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
OK guys here is a picture of the back bumper. What you'll see here, if you look close enough are two things the guys need to fix on Monday. One has to do with the gap between the gloss Black and the carbon vinyl. If you look you'll see the silver peeking through. This is due to the fact that there is a 1/4 inch wide and deep channel between the silver and black on the bumper. It was nearly impossible to get the vinyl into that seam flawlessly. The other issue you'll see if you look closely enough is that they had to piece the section around the tailpipes and they didn't keep the seams running the right way when they did that. So the owner of the place that did it wants a shot to redo this himself (he had one of his guys do it the first time). The other obvious thing is they couldn't vinyl the sensors so they are silver. I'm not sure what I can do to fix this, but I'm researching it. I don't think it looks awful, but it would look better with them done.

So I'm taking it in on Monday to get some of this redone. I will post pictures after I get it back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the pic PA, I see what you mean, and I personally prefer the rear blacked out, and I do like the carbon fiber design. So right now I'm digging your choices.

I just went to a premier auto body shop near Seattle (who claim to have done one of the first ever all matte black cars), and the owner discouraged me from the carbon fiber wrap for two reasons, that the lines distort on the curves of the material, and basically he said it just doesn't have the same look as the real thing even if done perfectly. But I sure do like the look of your car, so I'm torn. It really comes down to personal preference (like most car decisions), and now I'm considering other accent ideas/colors.

Arghh, my December delivery date can't come fast enough.

I am also getting a quote on the xpel and ceramic pro. Will share more when I get them.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Thanks for the pic PA, I see what you mean, and I personally prefer the rear blacked out, and I do like the carbon fiber design. So right now I'm digging your choices.

I just went to a premier auto body shop near Seattle (who claim to have done one of the first ever all matte black cars), and the owner discouraged me from the carbon fiber wrap for two reasons, that the lines distort on the curves of the material, and basically he said it just doesn't have the same look as the real thing even if done perfectly. But I sure do like the look of your car, so I'm torn. It really comes down to personal preference (like most car decisions), and now I'm considering other accent ideas/colors.

I am also getting a quote on the xpel and ceramic pro. Will share more when I get them.
Ceramic pro (gold package) should not run more than 2,000 dollars from what other members have said. I got the silver package for 1500. I would go with ceramic pro, but thats just me.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Same here. Like the FB rear. My S is setup with the black pack so sensors should be dark shade; need to decide if FB will get on the rear and if so onto what panel.
Gsamf, since you are in Seattle area - check out this guy - https://www.facebook.com/wuwraps/. A couple of my friends had WuWraps do some details in their not low cost rigs and are super happy. My Eastside delivery is scheduled for the Dec as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
martinPL, you are my new best friend! Just researched Wu! Wraps, he specializes in carbon fiber. I am back to being sold and will be calling him tomorrow.

PA, thanks for the confirmation on my 'original' (ha, yeah right) idea. And to be honest, I am completely and unabashedly stealing your awesome idea of covering the green in the S logo. Thanks so much for sharing, a sincere thank you.

(Also, martinPL, ordered my ultimate black S w black package, black interior, double helix silver 22's on 9/14, delivery date 12/16 from Bellevue Jag. You?)

This forum is awesome. This newbie appreciates the input, and even the heated opinions.

(Although I am tempted to start a a thread about a Religious and Political Millennial who insists that the F-Pace can only be defined as a Minivan, refuses to ask for the Vista print out, who's idea of an upgraded ICTP is a cassette tape player, and is waiting to order one in 2021)... but I don't want JWreck's head to explode.

Cheers!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
martinPL, you are my new best friend! Just researched Wu! Wraps, he specializes in carbon fiber. I am back to being sold and will be calling him tomorrow.

PA, thanks for the confirmation on my 'original' (ha, yeah right) idea. And to be honest, I am completely and unabashedly stealing your awesome idea of covering the green in the S logo. Thanks so much for sharing, a sincere thank you.

(Also, martinPL, ordered my ultimate black S w black package, black interior, double helix silver 22's on 9/14, delivery date 12/16 from Bellevue Jag. You?)

This forum is awesome. This newbie appreciates the input, and even the heated opinions.

(Although I am tempted to start a a thread about a Religious and Political Millennial who insists that the F-Pace can only be defined as a Minivan, refuses to ask for the Vista print out, who's idea of an upgraded ICTP is a cassette tape player, and is waiting to order one in 2021)... but I don't want JWreck's head to explode.

Cheers!

Cheers!
Lol

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
martinPL,

Cheers!

Cheers!
Hilarious!!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My pleasure. I will be there too; some exterior and some interior work.
I ordered from the same place. 2 or 3 days past your order and my deliver is scheduled for Dec 23rd :(

I am on the floor :D

·
F Pace Expert
2,534 Posts

Cheers!

Cheers!
would think said millennial would insist they aren't buying until a self-driving e-pace is on the market and then only the second model year

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just curious why you did the clear bra on the lights. I'm having them do the front bumper, part of the fenders and the hood. I don't need the rocker panels because I have a fixed side step.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts