Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need an opinion. What exactly the 3 G sim card does ? Is it for Jaguar remote. Manual states it allows the vehicle to connect to the internet via mobile network, using data enabled SIM card. Can this not be achieved using the cell phone as hotspot.? Can the car can be stated using remote start without active 3G SIM card. I have ICTP. Thanks for any light shed on this subject.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Answers to this question are in many threads here if you want details.

Quick answer.

3G sim only provides connectivity for your car's mobile hotspot, Live Apps (weather, news, etc) and traffic for the navi.

Incontrol Remote should work even if you don't have an active 3G SIM. It supposedly uses a different method of connectivity.

Search the forum if you need more info on either of these. There are many threads on the subject.

Reactions: myjaguar

·
Super Moderator
1,913 Posts
As mentioned above
3G sim only provides connectivity for your car's mobile hotspot, Live Apps (weather, news, etc) and traffic for the nav
The In Control Apps are handled through the cars internal telematics system (which is free for the 1st 5 years). It is used for remote start, car location, uploading a route to the Nav system etc.

Yes your cell phone can be used as a hot spot for the car, many owners find no need for the SIM.

What else would you like to know?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Need an opinion. What exactly the 3 G sim card does ? see below Is it for Jaguar remote. Manual states it allows the vehicle to connect to the internet via mobile network, using data enabled SIM card. Can this not be achieved using the cell phone as hotspot.? Yes it can Can the car can be stated using remote start without active 3G SIM card. Yes I have ICTP. Thanks for any light shed on this subject.
Keep in mind there are two co-existing connections that serve different functions:ji

A. ... A "built-in" (my word) connection for Jaguar Remote, Route Planner and the Emergency and Assistance buttons on the overhead console; accounts/registration for this should be set up by the dealer at hand over. The service is good for five years. No further action/cost required.

B. .... An internet connection to serve functions like live traffic updates, re-routing, the pre-installed apps like news, weather, flight tracker etc, live updates to POI's etc.. This "subscribed" (my word) connection has your car acting like any other mobile device. It initially uses an AT&T account (hence the 3G SIM card), free for three months. It can equally well and/or alternately utilize any mobile hotspot, like your cell phone, a Verizon Jetpack etc. If you choose the second of these "subscribed" methods, you will not need the SIM card or the AT&T account.

One further potential point of confusion in the past has been, that with the 3 G connection, your car can also act as its own hotspot for other devices inside the car. i.e. don't confuse the car connecting through a hotspot (no 3G needed) and acting like a hotspot through the 3G connection.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd also note that you can use free services like FreedomPop for your internet. 200MB/Month for free. Plenty of data for traffic and web searches for nav locations.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As mentioned above

The In Control Apps are handled through the cars internal telematics system (which is free for the 1st 5 years). It is used for remote start, car location, uploading a route to the Nav system etc.

Yes your cell phone can be used as a hot spot for the car, many owners find no need for the SIM.

What else would you like to know?
Thank you so much for your reply. Got the answer I was looking for. Sincerely appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts