Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is only curiosity, has anyone found a list of differences in the engine configuration to give the S 40HP more? It is my inner motor geek. Is it just tuning and software, cam profiles, boost, exhaust, or a whole cylinder head design change?

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
It is only curiosity, has anyone found a list of differences in the engine configuration to give the S 40HP more? It is my inner motor geek. Is it just tuning and software, cam profiles, boost, exhaust, or a whole cylinder head design change?
As made clear in Jaguar sales literature, its tuning.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I went from 340HP to 410+HP with just tuning.

Reactions: Corpraider

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
This engine is tuned for 340 hp in the XE, XF, XJ, F-pace and F-type. Tuned for 380 hp in the XF (S), F-pace (S), F-type (S). Tuned for 400 hp in the 2018 F-type 400 sport. I am sure Jag could tune this engine to make upwards of 420hp but don't because 380 and now 400 horsepower in the F-type 400 seems to be enough for most people.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
173 Posts
What would be nice is if Jag would let you choose a factory tune for 400+HP and be warrantied...

Some of the domestics used to let you do dealer installed upgrades not long ago.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So basically a way to get people to spend $5,000 more than the R-Sport at no cost to Jaguar.
Except it's not $5K, the R-Sport and S MSRP are ~$1400 apart.

Reactions: ndabunka

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What would be nice is if Jag would let you choose a factory tune for 400+HP and be warrantied...
Agreed, that is where I was going with the question. A software update should be easier than changing the oil, but I understand it would have warranty implications unless Jaguar decided to offer it.

Since I cannot find the perfect S, I could tweak an R-Sport or any 340HP model and get the S horsepower, albeit without the Adaptive Dynamics and the really cool S badges.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Agreed, that is where I was going with the question. A software update should be easier than changing the oil, but I understand it would have warranty implications unless Jaguar decided to offer it.

Since I cannot find the perfect S, I could tweak an R-Sport or any 340HP model and get the S horsepower, albeit without the Adaptive Dynamics and the really cool S badges.
I am just a bit confused as to why you are yearning for more power...? Not sure why anyone driving an SUV would want or need more than 340/380 hp. Maybe im missing something :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Except it's not $5K, the R-Sport and S MSRP are ~$1400 apart.
Eh?

I see two differences. 40 more HP from the engine tune and adaptive dynamics. So unless adaptive dynamics or the S emblems make up the $5000, I fail to see where the price difference comes into play. Oh, can't forget the red brake calipers and aluminum shifter paddles.

Feel free to download the brochure and prove me wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am just a bit confused as to why you are yearning for more power...? Not sure why anyone driving an SUV would want or need more than 340/380 hp. Maybe im missing something :confused::confused::confused:
I have the 416hp tune... you got a point, although it's extremely fun to drive, it's way more than you really need. I got the introduction price but I would do it all over again though! >:)

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have the 416hp tune... you got a point, although it's extremely fun to drive, it's way more than you really need. I would do it all over again though! >:)
Hm, I would really like to see a comparison between an S model and your re-tuned F-pace. Curious how much it changed the acceleration. Just not for me, to nervous it would make the engine explode or something dramatic like that haha. ;)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Eh?

I see two differences. 40 more HP from the engine tune and adaptive dynamics. So unless adaptive dynamics or the S emblems make up the $5000, I fail to see where the price difference comes into play. Oh, can't forget the red brake calipers and aluminum shifter paddles.

Feel free to download the brochure and prove me wrong.
Hit the configure button and the R-Sport is $58K. Must be a typo on that model comparison pages because there's no way to get an R-Sport for $54K. Similar cost difference for the '17 model year vehicles ($1400)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is wanting to know what would close the gap between the R-Sport that I am likely to buy because we like the Oyster/Lime interior and the S performance that does not come with a light colored interior. Other aspects can be ordered (Adaptive Dynamics and both can get the 22" wheels). Some have said the 40HP difference is negligible and it may be in the end. The root of this thread is clarified as horsepower can be bumped up without hardware if I really wanted to.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've got an R Sport, and all I know is that it's WAY faster than my Audi A4 was! Whenever I stomp the throttle I end up with a big grin on my face! :D

You're coming from a TDI Passat. I think that 340 HP will feel like more than enough. Plus, in NORMAL driving, you'll never notice a 40 HP difference.

But, I've never even SEEN an S in the wild, much less driven one. :nerd:

Kerry

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
It is wanting to know what would close the gap between the R-Sport that I am likely to buy because we like the Oyster/Lime interior and the S performance that does not come with a light colored interior. Other aspects can be ordered (Adaptive Dynamics and both can get the 22" wheels). Some have said the 40HP difference is negligible and it may be in the end. The root of this thread is clarified as horsepower can be bumped up without hardware if I really wanted to.
Im not discussing what you are saying at all haha... the whole price argument I never got into because I don't know anyone else's finances. If you want to spend more money for the 40 extra horses, sleeker sport body kit, standard adaptive dynamics and more expensive wheels like I did than go for it, if you can't seem to justify it to yourself then I think you found your answer. Thats not what I was discussing with @Dabitz at all... I was curious because he got an aftermarket performance chip or something that retuned the engine to produce 410ish hp. I just want to know what the acceleration looks like with that extra hp.

And for the record the R-sport is 3 tenths of a second slower than the S, so thats the negligible difference.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hit the configure button and the R-Sport is $58K. Must be a typo on that model comparison pages because there's no way to get an R-Sport for $54K. Similar cost difference for the '17 model year vehicles ($1400)
Guess you're right. It's been like that since I started looking so thats a pretty gross whoopsies.

You win. I guess the S emblems are worth $1400 then. ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
It's crazy, you can go from 70 to 120 in no time without realizing it. There is a whole thread on it on this forum. It's not a chip, it's a PCM software tuning, it replaces Jaguar's tune. The vendor is VelocityAP. They have have a spotless record doing tunes for Jaguars with the same engine. If you change the supercharger pulley you get about 455.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts