Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to purchase a new F-Pace and I am debating between the 20" and 22" wheel package. I would prefer the 22" wheels but I am concerned about the roughness of the ride. I live in southern California so there are no real weather concerns. I would love to get some feedback on those with the 22" wheels to let me know their experience. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Consider this, from the perspective of someone who has 20" wheels:

The turn in is not as sharp, and can be a little bouncy when taking twisties. I'm used to my S4 with nice low profile tires. Yes, the ride was a little more harsh but the trade off is worth it because of the performance and feedback gain.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Agree with posters above.

I find the ride on 22" just fine. I now have 19" winters on and the handling was much better on the 22". I have a 20d with adaptive dynamics.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have 22s on mine, run them at 35lbs and light load setting, I'm perfectly happy with the ride and performance.

The best way to know though for your personal preference is to go test drive F-Paces with 22 and 20 inch wheels and tires. If you are serious about buying one the dealership should allow you do to that. Make sure the 22s are set at light load and only 35lbs cold especially in sunny cali since the tires will heat up quickly. Decide based upon your ride.

Handling is markedly better, as JWreck stated with the 22s. Drives more like a car then a SUV/CUV. If that is what you are looking for go with the 22s.

If you are getting an F-Pace with Dynamic suspension, test that out as well as normal and eco during your test drive.

If you are truly looking for performance I think you will be happier with the 22s, and they look better on the car as well IMHO. If you want a true luxury SUV and don't really care about precise handling go with the 20s, the car will ride softer, but won't be as sporty, but it will still handle better than most others when it comes to SUV/CUV's.

Reactions: OneTwo

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. It is good to get feedback from others that have them on their car and have driven them for a while. Getting a feel through a test drive is tough because they are generally pretty short and on a limited variety of road conditions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Go with the 20's. Save the money and then look for aftermarket wheels that you like if you want 22's. Keep the 20's with all season and the 22's with summer rubber. In the end for the up pricing on the 22's, have another set of wheels might cost marginally more.

Like PA said keep your pressure between 35-37 light load setting and the ride is great, in dynamic with ESC off have been able to get the back end out and slide a little.

Reactions: 3rdsCharm

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've looked at some aftermarket wheels and so far I haven't seen anything I like more than the Jaguar 22" wheels. I am old-school and like the polished turbine wheels. I am leaving open the option of buying the F-Pace with stock wheels and buying aftermarket wheels if I find something I like. Living in southern California I really don't need to change out the tires and would prefer not to go through the hassle. So far, it sounds promising that I would be happy with the ride on the 22" wheels.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Look at Vossen and Avant Garde (they will drill to match if they don't make it)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Consider this, from the perspective of someone who has 20" wheels:

The turn in is not as sharp, and can be a little bouncy when taking twisties. I'm used to my S4 with nice low profile tires. Yes, the ride was a little more harsh but the trade off is worth it because of the performance and feedback gain.

Just my .02.
The 22s come with summers which helps handling alot. However they are heavy wheels hurting performance. A 20 inch with summer tires is the best option for optimal performance and ride in nice weather in my opinion.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have been looking to purchase a new F-Pace and I am debating between the 20" and 22" wheel package.
From previous discussions it is clear that the decision on wheel size (from 18" on up) should be different for each purchaser. Depends on what you want from your car. You might want to review some of those discussions, but beware of a blanket "this size is best" recommendation without knowing what went into it...

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
The 22s come with summers which helps handling alot. However they are heavy wheels hurting performance. A 20 inch with summer tires is the best option for optimal performance and ride in nice weather in my opinion.
Perhaps, I may disagree slightly though. A thicker tire like the 20" wheel has will have more sidewall and will shift the weight to that first, creating slight instability and less direct feel of movement in steering.

Agreed on the 22" wheels being heavy and hurting overall performance, but a thinner sidewall has advantages.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
baherrick, the 22s easily offer the sportiest handling and ride possible on the F-Pace. The 22inch Pirelli Zero Summers that Jaguar will put on your car ride like a dream. In aggressive driving they stick like glue to the pavement. They have a higher speed rating than the 22s. Floor the throttle and have fun. Because I live in PA, I am now driving on all-seasons. Although my all-season tires are 22s, it is not the same. All season tires are much softer than the Pirelli summers. Get the Pirelli 22s. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Perhaps, I may disagree slightly though. A thicker tire like the 20" wheel has will have more sidewall and will shift the weight to that first, creating slight instability and less direct feel of movement in steering.

Agreed on the 22" wheels being heavy and hurting overall performance, but a thinner sidewall has advantages.
A thin sidewall can also be a pain. For a crossover especially

·
Registered
245 Posts
Take the no charge option and order 20" flow forms. Put summer tire on those and you will have a car that performs better in every measurable metric. Added bonus will be better traction at the limit, increased ride comfort, less chance of damage from road hazards. Secret squirrel added bonus is that it can cost less up front than ordering the most expensive option and less for almost all buyers on the back end because HRE is one of the few wheel brands you can move for a good chunk of your money in the used market.

Meanwhile for those that are not aware M\S and snow tires have much softer sidewalls than summer performance tires to show better terrain conformity. Few will be able to tell they have gone from a summer tire on 22 inch wheels versus 20 inch wheels due to sidewall signs in the form of wheel squirm of response but their spouses will notice the reduced ride compliance from the passenger seat. Going back to the driver he\she will probably notice the better control from the reduction in unsprung mass. No matter who sits where physics works as they say and the performance benefits are unquestionable and lie solely with the 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the way my 22" looks on the car!! Handling is great(Pirelli P-Zero) and the ride is just fine with light load set around 35psi. Slight performance disadvantage due to increased weight but I honestly don't think you would notice. Did I mentioned they look great!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've only driven the F-Pace on 22's - on both winter and summer rubber. The higher tire pressure normal setting is definitely noticeably harsher ride than the light load setting. You feel road imperfection more. But I have not missed any performance or handling when running on the lower pressure setting. The vehicle still corners like it's on rails with little lean, has tremendous punch in any situation, and meets my every expectation with each and every drive. Worrying about a few pounds of wheel weight here and there for me isn't something I am concerned about in this vehicle class. And I LOVE the look of both of the 22" OEM wheels (Double Helix and polished Turbines).

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've only driven the F-Pace on 22's - on both winter and summer rubber. The higher tire pressure normal setting is definitely noticeably harsher ride than the light load setting. You feel road imperfection more. But I have not missed any performance or handling when running on the lower pressure setting. The vehicle still corners like it's on rails with little lean, has tremendous punch in any situation, and meets my every expectation with each and every drive. Worrying about a few pounds of wheel weight here and there for me isn't something I am concerned about in this vehicle class. And I LOVE the look of both of the 22" OEM wheels (Double Helix and polished Turbines).

Wheel wait has a much bigger impact on performance then weight in other areas of the car.

Summers make a huge difference in performance.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love the way my 22" looks on the car!! Handling is great(Pirelli P-Zero) and the ride is just fine with light load set around 35psi. Slight performance disadvantage due to increased weight but I honestly don't think you would notice. Did I mentioned they look great!!!

They do look great! I really like the look of the 22's and it seems it doesn't hurt ride too much. I am going to test drive both but so far I am still leaning towards the 22"s.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts