Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Denver and recently picked up a CPO 'S' with 22" Rims w/P-Zero's on them. I plan to wear them out this summer and notice everyone seems to like the Continentals as their replacement tires in this area, (I currently have a SAAB running Conti's).

Even though I like Continental as a brand, according to Tirerack the Michelins have better snow and ice ratings. I'm wondering why no one seems to chose these over the Continentals.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I've used LTX's on previous SUV's and they would be my first choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I went with LTX on my GMC Sierra 4x4 and my previous Infiniti FX35. No complaints here. Continentals are a great tire, too, but I also have a Costco nearby that does specials on Michelin's every other month.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm in Denver and recently picked up a CPO 'S' with 22" Rims w/P-Zero's on them. I plan to wear them out this summer and notice everyone seems to like the Continentals as their replacement tires in this area, (I currently have a SAAB running Conti's).

Even though I like Continental as a brand, according to Tirerack the Michelins have better snow and ice ratings. I'm wondering why no one seems to chose these over the Continentals.
Interesting question. I have 22" summers that if I don't sell, I will wear out through the fall, and then I am buying the continentals as well. My guy here who I trust over the years states...."They are the best tire on the road for true all season performance". I believe this, and price/performance etc. I will go this route.

Not sure I always go by the "big volume" on line sales folks. Not that they aren't truthful, but the metric to sell and lean towards margin profit always lurks in my mind when asking these questions of them. Just a thought on how I think....yet may be totally off base. But the Continentals are the winning brand for me.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

Check the speed ratings. I think I picked the 22 inch Continental all-seasons because it had the highest speed rating and traction rating of all 22 inch all seasons. I want to go fast.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have the continental DWS tires and I had them on my Q7 before in deep snow and they were great.

According to tire rack, the contis actually have better snow performance, but the michelin LTX is better on Ice.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't knock the performance of Contis, but I find that they just wear way too quickly. I had summer Conti's on my Audi S4 and they wore within 15kmiles. Had stock Contis on my FP and I have already replaced them, again at 15k miles - put on some new Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus that has a much, much higher treadwear rating.

And I don't drive that hard on them...sure, take the occasional corner when I can, but nothing to wear them out so quickly. I have fared better with Sumitomo and Michelins compared to Contis. Will see how these Pirellis do on the FP.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I don't knock the performance of Contis, but I find that they just wear way too quickly. I had summer Conti's on my Audi S4 and they wore within 15kmiles. Had stock Contis on my FP and I have already replaced them, again at 15k miles - put on some new Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS Plus that has a much, much higher treadwear rating.

And I don't drive that hard on them...sure, take the occasional corner when I can, but nothing to wear them out so quickly. I have fared better with Sumitomo and Michelins compared to Contis. Will see how these Pirellis do on the FP.
Something is wrong with either your driving or the surfaces you drive on. My Contis will almost double your 15K.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Here we go again.... :)

Tire debates, the best argument around. Let me warm up my typing fingers.... :) Sorry all.

Summer, Winter, All Season - Tire wear will change on all three of them across manufacturers. Summers never really last that long because they are soft and sticky and made specific for handling. 15k to 20k out of a summer tire is pretty much about what you are going to get, regardless of manufacturer. If you are getting more than that, then it's a summer tire probably in tread design only and has a more traditional all season rubber compound. All Seasons are that, a compromised to allow you to use one tire all year. With that said, they typically have a medium compound that will get great treadwear but have a tread pattern with some additional siping to help grip the few times you should be driving with them in the snow. Ultra High Performance All Seasons, like the Conti DWS lean more towards the summer compound. Winter tires are made clearly for winter and snow, and a built for the cold with a compound that is made to grip better and wear better in the cold. They will wear quickly and handle like crap if you use them in the warmer months. However, in the snow, they are the best you can have since they have a snow gripping compound and siping out the wazoo (technical term) to grip the white stuff.

I've run Michelin Blizzacks and Pirelli Scorpion Winters and both are great winter tires. I tend to like the Pirelli more due to the fact that I found them to be very quiet on a dry road and they also handle exceptionally on dry winter roads for a snow/winter tire. Blizzacks get noisy, especially as they get older.

I found the Pirelli P Zeros to be an good Summer tire, but they do seem to wear faster than I would like even for a summer tire. I've also used and love the Michelin Pilot Sport (in the many variants) for a summer tire. They are super sticky and are quiet as well. Really a great handling tire, but they do wear fairly quickly like most summer tires. I find them more like a treaded track tire you can use on the road.

To me the best all around tire out there and I have had 4 sets of these on 4 different vehicles at this point is the Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I had that tire on a rear drive V8 Infiniti, an AWD Supercharged Audi Q7, a lowered and performance upgraded Honda Accord Coupe and now my F-Pace. I think the DWS is a fantastic 9 to 10 month tire if you are in areas where December, January and February tend to be very cold and have occasional white stuff on the roads. I find they can handle snow if you have an AWD vehicle, but not so much if you are in a rear wheel drive car. Hence while I originally bought them for all season on my Infiniti M45 I ended up getting Blizzacks after running the Conti's one winter season just to make sure I didn't get stuck again. On the Honda, with only front drive, you could get by a little better with them in the now, but the Honda did it's best in the snow with Blizzacks as well. The DWS was ok in the snow with the Audi, but no where near as good as the F-Pace in the now with the Pirelli Scorpion Winters. I cruised through snow in with the FP and Pirelli Winters, the Q7 tended to slip around a bit with the DWS' I don't think the difference had anything to do with the AWD systems. It was clearly the tires.

So I would say that is my 2 Cents, but I think GR would end up countering that comment with that is a lot more than 2 cents worth! Probably more like $5 worth of what may be useless information to most of you. Especially those of you in the southern climates!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Something is wrong with either your driving or the surfaces you drive on. My Contis will almost double your 15K.
Haha...not the driving, its all highway so not like I am cutting up the canyons. Contis just don't seem to last long for me, don't know why. I go much longer on other comparable brands and categories.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not sure why, because mine on my Q7 (two different sets) lasted over 25k before they were changed.

PA-FPACE-F is right nothing will beat a dedicated set of winter tires, but for those I always ran the BRIDGSTONE BLIZZAKS, which are naturally noisier, but all the times i went up vermont or even across the country I didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm not sure why, because mine on my Q7 (two different sets) lasted over 25k before they were changed.

PA-FPACE-F is right nothing will beat a dedicated set of winter tires, but for those I always ran the BRIDGSTONE BLIZZAKS, which are naturally noisier, but all the times i went up vermont or even across the country I didn't have any issues.

I've had BLIZZAKS too and they are a good winter tire, but they wear quickly. Thinking about trying Cooper Weather masters for the incoming F Pace. Coopers are always a well priced tire and usually are no worse performance wise than top brands....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts