Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I’ve sent a few suggestions to the customer service dept on the Jaguar web site. They were to make the start / stop function so it stays off until you turn it back on, to allow the compass to be displayed on the digital dash instead of only when on a defined route, and to allow the doors to lock automatically after you exit the vehicle. These changes should be able to be incorporated in a future software update and would make the driving experience much more enjoyable with really no cost to Jaguar.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Not having the physical way to defeat Auto Start/Stop like I had on the 2017 and the 2019 is a little annoying. with the older models I could pull the cable in the boot and it would be permanently disabled. The system itself is better than it was, but its still annoying to have the car turn off right before you want to start going again. There is the ever so small delay in getting it started so I actually can pull out. Hopefully, there will be a software way of doing this in Pivi Pro soon. Like the UK is stating.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ok guys, I think I figured out how to defeat auto start stop being always on for a 21 jaguar. It's a simple 10mm screw you need to remove and pull a cable off that screw on the positive side of the battery. I just did it to mine, after researching some folks who did something similar on an 21 XF and it has worked for one about 10 minute drive with my 21 SVR. I don't want any of you doing this just yet, because I'm going to go another couple days with this cable disconnected and make sure nothing else goes south.

What happens with this cable disconnected from the positive battery terminal is different than pulling that middle cable in the boot under the side cover in the boot on the same side as the fuse box back there on the 2017 to 2020 F-Pace which also defeated start/stop on those years, I have another post out there for that disconnect. For those years, the AutoStart/stop indicator on the dash always had a line through it with that middle connector disconnected. it was that way from starting the car and when the dash was lit, until you turned the car off.

What happens with the 21s isn't so apparent, nothing on the dash changes when starting the car. What happens is when start stop wants to engage the Auto Start Stop indicator comes up on that dash with a line through it, but the engine stays on. That indicator goes away otherwise.

The cable I pulled is the small gauge one that is on the positive battery terminal on the right side of the terminal and gets attached with a 10mm bolt/screw. Simply remove the screw/bolt, pull that cable which has a eyelet on it, tuck it to the side and put the bolt back and tighten it up (I think it may hold the heavier gauge cable that is underneath which is why I put it back on.

In that 10 minute ride, the engine kept running whenever it would normally stop at a light or stop sign, and the start stop indicator with a line through it came up, but the engine never stopped and the indicator then goes off when you lift on the brake.

I seriously doubt this cable does anything else but drive the start stop, but give me a few more days of running this way to be sure.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Did it yesterday, it was still working on a short drive this morning when I came to a stop at one light on the way home. I want to give it the weekend until I take pictures of what cable to pull in the boot under the spare tire if you have one. To be honest, I'm pretty sure the Auto Start stop should be the only thing driven by this wire, since it's a smaller gauge one. But I want to take a long drive this afternoon to be sure.

Reactions: JohnnyLightning

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Greetings everyone. I drove the car around a bit more today. All is good with the Start Stop Disable step I explained above. I think if you want to make this mod, you will be on your own like I am now, but so far everything is good with disabling Start/Stop in this manner. I've taken a couple videos to walk you through the process of what I did, and what happens on the dash when Start Stop attempts to engage but doesn't.

So far I'm thrilled with the modification.

Do it at your own risk, and don't forget to reattach this wire I point out in the video before you go back in for service. They may not notice it, but they will notice Start Stop not working if they take the car on a test drive.

This video is how to get it done. The wire is in the boot under the spare tire. Video will carry on from there.

What needs to be done.

This is what happens on the dash after the work is done.

Dash Change Icon

Reactions: JohnnyLightning

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Try it again. I had to edit the videos on Youtube and make them public, haven't had to do that with video posts I've done previously. Sorry.

Reactions: Exhaust Note

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Day three with the wire disconnected from my F-Pace and all is good. Auto Start/Stop is definitely disabled and so far everything else is working like normal, so with three days running this way it does seem that the wire that is removed from the positive side of the battery only drives Auto Start/Stop. I really happy with the fact that Auto Start/Stop is now disabled permanently, unless I will be taking the car in for service where I'll reconnect the wire for the visit to the dealer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I didn’t think disabling the start/stop could be this simple. I did it and it is. So far so good. The car is so much more comfortable to drive now. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it affects anything. I do think if you need to bring the car in for any service it probably would be a good idea to connect it back up. Just so the dealer can’t use it as an excuse to not perform any warranty repairs.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
JoeGrapes,

I agree on the reconnect when taking into the dealer, but so far. after almost a week of driving and I've driven into work every day this week so over 200 miles, I'm in love with the car again without start/stop engaging. Definitely more simple than the 2017 to 2019 and the panel access mod. I just wonder on the 2017 to 2020 cars if something similar could be done as well. I don't remember the battery connectors on those vehicles but I do recollect they were similar.

Reactions: Exhaust Note

·
Registered
68 Posts
PA-FPace-F, Man...this is awesome! Seriously, the stop/start issue was killing the fun out of the car...doesn't seem like it would but it did! But now with the issue resolved...I feel like I"m driving a new car! it was so F&*&^ing annoying! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!! I'll buy you a beer if you're ever in Atlanta...hell even a six pack!!! What am I saying...even a CASE!! (ha).

Thanks again...

21 - 33 of 33 Posts