Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 20D is just over 48,0000 miles and a service reminder is displaying on start-up. The dealer stated it's beyond the 1k(?) miles from a planned service and the scheduled maintenance is oil change, fuel filter, DEF top-off, etc. Cost would be approximately $600. That seems awfully high for fluid/filter change and other checks w/out any actual repair or mechanical work. Considering taking it to my usual oil change and fluids shop that I use for all my vehicles, including VW, Audi, Ford, GMC, etc.

What are others paying for their "non-covered" services at Jaguar? What say you?

I am in Los Angeles area.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Whatever you or they may think you need, any and all should be covered thru the 5/60 period. Your service reminder should coincide with these mileage or time points. I wouldn't be afraid to wait another 1k if that is what they are saying for you to qualify for these things "free"... unless you are about ready to run out of DEF and your other fluids are full. (Which you should be refilling yourself for 5 min of time and 7.50 at Walmart.)
Incidentally, Since I don't have that many miles yet, during your normal dealership annual services to this point, have they changed your fuel filter previously at all? They are telling me that it is not required till the 4th annual service mark, which is way to long in my eyes. Dirty clogged fuel filters are the most frequent problem for diesels, I would change it annually if I knew how to, but can't find any instructions on how to do on this vehicle.
"Non Covered services" are a big fear of mine on this vehicle past 5/60. I can do all the basics myself.... Other than maintenance has the vehicle given you any mechanical trouble, engine related or otherwise?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stbentoak, thanks for reply. I like your diesel arsenal. I am similar. GMC - Jr. Dmax, VW -TDI and the 20D.

Returned from the dealer (Galpin Jaguar). The Service Advisor was very helpful. It's my wife's vehicle and I don't drive it often, so hadn't paid close attention to the service. We pulled the service history from the VIN and he walked me through the Jaguar Service Plan, the schedule, mileage, etc. In the end, I am close enough to the 50k, that I will plan on going back to have that Jaguar scheduled service. The fluid & filter change (oil, fuel) along with the other items is, in fact, about a $600-800 service. I expressed my uneasiness with paying that much for just a basic oil change, etc. when I can likely get the parts and do much of it myself. He understood and then printed the necessary part numbers for the filters that I could walk over to the parts dept. and purchase them. They had both the oil filter and the entire fuel filter housing in stock. Definitely not like the fuel filters on my GMC Duramax. We also walked over to the service bay and asked what oil to use. They said it takes 7.2Q of Castrol 0w30 synthetic blend.

The DEF issue is no big deal. I regularly fill all my vehicles using the large 2.5G WalMart DEF. Never had a problem.

I really appreciate the time and help he offered. Impressive. Definitely a good experience and will be back soon for the 50k.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
As you may see the fuel filter is a molded canister with more than a few hoses connected with clips that I am not familiar with.. Not enough to get it apart and then not get it back together !
All my other vehicles are straightforward canisters that are pretty self explanatory. Let me know if you tackle it and your results... I've changed the oil and cabin filters on my 20D, not that hard at all. Overall we really like ours, it is my wife's vehicle also. She makes many 300 mile round trips to visit my daughter and the 35- 40MPG we get is just the ticket for that while being pretty stylish along the way. Hope this vehicle can hang in there for more than 5/60... so far so good !

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
stbentoak, thanks for reply. I like your diesel arsenal. I am similar. GMC - Jr. Dmax, VW -TDI and the 20D.

Returned from the dealer (Galpin Jaguar). The Service Advisor was very helpful. It's my wife's vehicle and I don't drive it often, so hadn't paid close attention to the service. We pulled the service history from the VIN and he walked me through the Jaguar Service Plan, the schedule, mileage, etc. In the end, I am close enough to the 50k, that I will plan on going back to have that Jaguar scheduled service. The fluid & filter change (oil, fuel) along with the other items is, in fact, about a $600-800 service. I expressed my uneasiness with paying that much for just a basic oil change, etc. when I can likely get the parts and do much of it myself. He understood and then printed the necessary part numbers for the filters that I could walk over to the parts dept. and purchase them. They had both the oil filter and the entire fuel filter housing in stock. Definitely not like the fuel filters on my GMC Duramax. We also walked over to the service bay and asked what oil to use. They said it takes 7.2Q of Castrol 0w30 synthetic blend.

The DEF issue is no big deal. I regularly fill all my vehicles using the large 2.5G WalMart DEF. Never had a problem.

I really appreciate the time and help he offered. Impressive. Definitely a good experience and will be back soon for the 50k.
what Service Advisor did you deal with there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.... Other than maintenance has the vehicle given you any mechanical trouble, engine related or otherwise?
None. It has been a trouble-free vehicle. I bought it used with 30k and it has been a good car. First Jaguar for me. The diesel engine was a big draw.

The service advisor did say that he recommends an extended warranty purchase prior to the 60k ending of the factory warranty. He said he has seen a few turbo problems with the 2.0D over the year. Galpin is likely one of the higher volume dealers, both sales and service. He also informed me that factory or a good independant warranty will work. He stated to avoid Delta Auto Protect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As you may see the fuel filter is a molded canister with more than a few hoses connected with clips that I am not familiar with.. Not enough to get it apart and then not get it back together !
All my other vehicles are straightforward canisters that are pretty self explanatory. Let me know if you tackle it and your results... I've changed the oil and cabin filters on my 20D, not that hard at all. Overall we really like ours, it is my wife's vehicle also. She makes many 300 mile round trips to visit my daughter and the 35- 40MPG we get is just the ticket for that while being pretty stylish along the way. Hope this vehicle can hang in there for more than 5/60... so far so good !
Same situation; Wife running around seeing the kids. I keep my vehicles long term. I was hesitant to go with Jaguar knowing that I would want to keep it for 4+ years, but the diesel setup and weight of the vehicle seems a good combo and easier to drive than the Tahoe or Escalade.

The fuel filter caught me off guard when I saw it, but I expect it to be a simple R/R. My Canyon DMax fuel filters are very simple and easy access on frame rail underneath.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Same situation; Wife running around seeing the kids. I keep my vehicles long term. I was hesitant to go with Jaguar knowing that I would want to keep it for 4+ years, but the diesel setup and weight of the vehicle seems a good combo and easier to drive than the Tahoe or Escalade.

The fuel filter caught me off guard when I saw it, but I expect it to be a simple R/R. My Canyon DMax fuel filters are very simple and easy access on frame rail underneath.
All the same here... we wanted the looks of an FP with the mileage of a VW TDI.. we think we got a good package here.
If you end up doing the fuel filter, tag me or direct message me with results. I'm interested in doing mine also... Thanks !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the same here... we wanted the looks of an FP with the mileage of a VW TDI.. we think we got a good package here.
If you end up doing the fuel filter, tag me or direct message me with results. I'm interested in doing mine also... Thanks !!
Should have some info on the oil/fuel filter replace soon.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My 2017 20D is just over 48,0000 miles and a service reminder is displaying on start-up. The dealer stated it's beyond the 1k(?) miles from a planned service and the scheduled maintenance is oil change, fuel filter, DEF top-off, etc. Cost would be approximately $600. That seems awfully high for fluid/filter change and other checks w/out any actual repair or mechanical work. Considering taking it to my usual oil change and fluids shop that I use for all my vehicles, including VW, Audi, Ford, GMC, etc.

What are others paying for their "non-covered" services at Jaguar? What say you?

I am in Los Angeles area.
I am surprised it was quoted so much. I take my 20D in every 10K miles for oil changes so every other service is out of pocket and I have never paid more than $200 at a dealership (and that’s been in Tucson, El Paso and now Houston). The last “free” service is the 40K mile service even though the warranty is to 56K since the next scheduled service wouldn’t be until 60K.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm changing my oil at 10k miles so have paid a couple of times getting to 30k miles. The dealer in Pasadena CA has charged about $250 out the door for the oil and filter change.
btw, I'm a bit annoyed at the "10k miles or 12 months" maintenance requirement. I put 14k miles on the first year but less than 10k miles the second and third. But that first year mileage has moved my "required maintenance" forward a couple of months relative to my purchase anniversary, where it will stay until it is out of warranty...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm changing my oil at 10k miles so have paid a couple of times getting to 30k miles. The dealer in Pasadena CA has charged about $250 out the door for the oil and filter change.
btw, I'm a bit annoyed at the "10k miles or 12 months" maintenance requirement. I put 14k miles on the first year but less than 10k miles the second and third. But that first year mileage has moved my "required maintenance" forward a couple of months relative to my purchase anniversary, where it will stay until it is out of warranty...
I assume you are referring to Rusnak? That seems more in-line. I bought the oil & fuel filter and 8 quarts of Castrol 0w30; for those parts and fluids I am at approx. $175.

I agree, the 12 month or 10k requirement deal can get you in a pinch. Once I get my oil changed, I plan to head down and get my 50k done early. I will be on schedule now, but doesn't realy matter since I am out of the Jaguar subsidized maintenance. My next decision to watch and research carefully the mileage and engine/turbo problems before I get to the 5/60 end of warranty.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I am surprised it was quoted so much. I take my 20D in every 10K miles for oil changes so every other service is out of pocket and I have never paid more than $200 at a dealership (and that’s been in Tucson, El Paso and now Houston). The last “free” service is the 40K mile service even though the warranty is to 56K since the next scheduled service wouldn’t be until 60K.
I'm a little confused, I'm pretty sure we will hit the 5 years before we hit the 60K, My vehicle was delivered Aug 3 2017. It always goes in for annual service in late july for its annual service / checkup just prior to its anniv. date. Is there any reason it won't receive 5 services thru the summer of 2022 and everything related on the 20D service sheet thru 5 years or 60K?

This last "free service at 40K" and " Warranty is to 56K" statements have me confused.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Completed the oil change today at my usual shop I use for all my vehicles. They had no problem with R/R fuel filter & oil filter. They did say the underbelly protector was a bit of a wrestle, but once off, no problem at all. Replacing was a breeze after the process of taking off. I will definitely do the same process in the future.

I am very glad I went this route. Saved a bunch of money, learned about my Jaguar and set up for the 50k in just a few weeks. They also reset my service reminder, which I will have checked again when I am at the dealer soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm a little confused, I'm pretty sure we will hit the 5 years before we hit the 60K, My vehicle was delivered Aug 3 2017. It always goes in for annual service in late july for its annual service / checkup just prior to its anniv. date. Is there any reason it won't receive 5 services thru the summer of 2022 and everything related on the 20D service sheet thru 5 years or 60K?

This last "free service at 40K" and " Warranty is to 56K" statements have me confused.....
The service intervals are at 10k or 12months, whichever comes first. Jaguar covers four of these services. The 20k and 40k are the pricier ones because they are fluid and filter changes. 10k & 30k are basically inspection and top-off DEF. So if you hit a 10k interval within 8 months of the previous one, you basically reduced the time period for the subsidized Service Plan. This is because your next 10k or 12 months starts from that service date. I inserted a picture of the checksheet given to me by the Galpin service advisor.

The Jaguar warranty which covers engine, turbos, electronics, etc. is 5 year or 60k miles. So for my F-Pace, I will hit my 50k before four years, so I am now done with my Service Plan "free" services although the car is only 3 years old. I am two years away from the 5 year mark, but will likely get to 60k within a year. So essentially, my warranty becomes a 4/60, unless I can get my wife to stop voluntarily driving for everything.o_O She loves her F-Pace and the gas mileage is terrific, so enjoy. I intend to keep the car to probably 75k+.

Having owned a 2006 Golf TDI 5-spd manual that was running perfect at 150k (should have kept that one) and an F250 7.3l diesel (best engine I have ever owned) that was near perfect to 185k till I sold it. I replaced it with a smaller truck; a GMC Canyon with the 2.8l 4-cyl diesel. Curious how it performs and maintains compared to this Jaguar diesel. The GMC is bigger displacement and is 2wd, so it is lighter than the F-Pace. I expect it should do well. With that, the F-Pace is definitely quicker and more spirited.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I see, so I do understand that a high mileage situation would shorten your actual coverage time. but a 10K a year person would be on the same chronological time every year in my opinion. I also find it interesting that yours shows a fuel filter change at 20K/2 years, I did not get that. I'm wondering if the service schedule for a 2018 is different than a 2017? Shouldn't be...
Nevertheless, this whole conversation exposes the fact that anything done at the dealer outside warranty or coverage is going to be inordinately expensive and we should plan accordingly...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. I am generally not a fan of dealership maintenance for basic work. In this case, the "free" part of the plan is the reasoning to pursue this information. Since I bought the car from a private party, I wanted to get a better understanding of what I am "due". It definitely was a significant savings and learning process to go the route I did. Glad I did it.

I will say, I am a second generation Galpin customer. I have always had great experience with Galpin for any Manufacturer they work with. A first class operation. I had a VW Phaeton for nearly 10 years which their VW store serviced that car regularly and were fantastic in working with me to keep it up to 155k. That is a very rare car and required specific tools and knowledge, which they had.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts