Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 20d R-Sport. I test drove it around the dealership on city streets and felt that it drove just fine but Never drove it on the highway. Since the car only has 180hp and such a slow 0-60 time I'm a bit worried.

What do you guys think of the highway driving? How is it when passing people. How does the engine handle cruising at up to 80mph? I don't need a fast car as I also have a 911 but I also don't want something that struggles in ordinary driving.

I used to have an Evoque (gas engine) and was perfectly fine with how it drove. Should the diesel be equivalent to that car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
20D cruises just fine on highway,plenty of power on the low end of rpm's
don't let the HP fool you,torque is almost the same as gas engine

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I just ordered a 20d R-Sport. I test drove it around the dealership on city streets and felt that it drove just fine but Never drove it on the highway. Since the car only has 180hp and such a slow 0-60 time I'm a bit worried.

What do you guys think of the highway driving? How is it when passing people. How does the engine handle cruising at up to 80mph? I don't need a fast car as I also have a 911 but I also don't want something that struggles in ordinary driving.

I used to have an Evoque (gas engine) and was perfectly fine with how it drove. Should the diesel be equivalent to that car?
180 HP is perfectly adequate for passing, 318 FT-LBs of torque is more than anyone should need in normal driving. From what Ive heard Jaguar has tuned the ZF eight speed transmission to keep you in the prime RPM when you need a sudden surge or power. You should be fine.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 20D does not lack in hwy performance. It will cruise at 80mph+++ just fine. Passing is more than acceptable for an SUV crossover. At posted hwy speeds you can expect mpg to break into the 40s. At 80mph you may expect low to mid 30s.

I can remember when 150-200hp was a benchmark for a hot and powerful car. My first car was a 65 Mustang with a 289 V-8. It was rated at 200hp at 4400 rpm and 250 lbs of torque at 2200 rpm. It did not lack for power and neither does the 20D.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The FP 2.0 diesel highway performance is very good on our US freeways. We had no problems passing at speed, and from a stop, if you're not careful, it's like trying to control runaway horses when that turbo kicks in! Sure, it's not like passing on the freeway with my Corvette, or even my over 3-ton Escalade EXT truck, but it won't get you into trouble from being too slow. Besides, that's why you kept your 911, right? We bought ours for the range it has over the gas model when going on long road trips across the country.

As long as you don't expect more than what the diesel engine will give you, you'll enjoy that FP 20d R-Sport you ordered.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The FP 2.0 diesel highway performance is very good on our US freeways. We had no problems passing at speed, and from a stop, if you're not careful, it's like trying to control runaway horses when that turbo kicks in! Sure, it's not like passing on the freeway with my Corvette, or even my over 3-ton Escalade EXT truck, but it won't get you into trouble from being too slow. Besides, that's why you kept your 911, right? We bought ours for the range it has over the gas model when going on long road trips across the country.

As long as you don't expect more than what the diesel engine will give you, you'll enjoy that FP 20d R-Sport you ordered.
Couldn't agree more. Plenty of power and what you will save at the pump is just a bonus
:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. This definitely alleviates my concerns. I definitely don't care for it to be a performance car as I have the 911. Its just that 180hp seems so low for an SUV.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks guys. This definitely alleviates my concerns. I definitely don't care for it to be a performance car as I have the 911. Its just that 180hp seems so low for an SUV.
Why don't you just go for another test drive? It'll either give you piece of mind, or give you time to change your order...I've done 4 test drives at different times, and I'll do another one with the fambly before placing the order. As the cars come into the dealership with different options, it's good to have a look and see if you need them (HUD, ICTP, etc).

I wrung it out on the highway for a test drive and there's no way I would buy the 20d. All depends on your driving style, expectations, history with other cars, etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Its just that 180hp seems so low for an SUV.
My old 1994 Dodge diesel had only 175hp (and 420ft/lbs of torque) and dragged along a 12-14000lb horse trailer just fine but won no races. That would be a 18-20000lbs total load rather than the 4500lbs for a mildly loaded F-PACE. The XF diesel I test drove seemed to move out nicely...

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got back from a trip from Charlotte, NC to Cape Canaveral, FL. 36.5mpg with the car in Sport gear and Dynamic mode and traveling about 10mph over the limit. acceleration is fine for passing and for getting on the interstate.
Have you had any opportunity to drive your Diesel into the NC mountains yet? I am a snow skier and we typically load up the SUV for ski trips. Just wondering how the Diesel in the F-Pace handles the steeper inclines. Can you easily keep the speed up to 60 on 55MPH roads when going UP the 7% mountain inclines?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I drive my Fpace on the "mountains" of Maryland all the time (nah, not high like the Rockies, but steep!) and several have grades of 7% to 9%. The Fpace will easily maintain any legal speed, no problem. This past week, I experimented heading up a mountain I drive on daily, at 50 mph, and punched it, just to see how much it would accelerate. At 70 mph, I decided it was a silly test; it only took a couple seconds to get to 70 (maybe 3? I wasn't timing it) and it had plenty left. I concluded this is just a silly discussion. This engine has a LOT of torque. Its just not an issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I drive my Fpace on the "mountains" of Maryland all the time (nah, not high like the Rockies, but steep!) and several have grades of 7% to 9%. The Fpace will easily maintain any legal speed, no problem. This past week, I experimented heading up a mountain I drive on daily, at 50 mph, and punched it, just to see how much it would accelerate. At 70 mph, I decided it was a silly test; it only took a couple seconds to get to 70 (maybe 3? I wasn't timing it) and it had plenty left. I concluded this is just a silly discussion. This engine has a LOT of torque. Its just not an issue.
Thanks for the report. The F-Pace does have 25% LESS torque than my X5d (4-banger INgenium 318 for the F-Pace vs. 425 for my Straight 6 3.0l X5d) so you can see my concern. Now my X5d does boogie up the steeps and may well have far more than it ever actually needs so perhaps it has 40% more than needed. LOL

To be clear I am not talking about a single driver in the Fpace. I need a FULLY LOADED vehicle (about 700lbs of guys) + loaded down with about another 600-700lbs of gear (8 sets of skis in rack-mounted cargo, clothes, drink cooler,etc) and will need the Fpace to be able to go up a 8% incline road going between 60 & 70MPH (65MPH speed limit)

I will put the Diesel R-Sport option back into consideration based on your feedback so thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
To be clear I am not talking about a single driver in the Fpace. I need a FULLY LOADED vehicle (about 700lbs of guys) + loaded down with about another 600-700lbs of gear (8 sets of skis in rack-mounted cargo, clothes, drink cooler,etc) and will need the Fpace to be able to go up a 8% incline road going between 60 & 70MPH (65MPH speed limit)
OK, I think that is a different situation. I am typically by myself, so you are adding 1500 pounds or so of additional weight than me. On the other hand, the thing about high torque engines is that they are not very affected by the additional weight. As an example, I have a diesel truck that I use in my business and there is very little difference in acceleration whether is is empty or pulling a 6000 pound trailer. So I still think you are OK with the 2.0 diesel, but I am simply acknowledging that your requirements are very different from mine. I think of diesels like lineman on a football team--they are not the fastest guy on the field, but they can drag half the team with them and still run the 40 yard dash in under 5 seconds.

·
Registered
132 Posts
OK, I think that is a different situation. I am typically by myself, so you are adding 1500 pounds or so of additional weight than me. On the other hand, the thing about high torque engines is that they are not very affected by the additional weight. As an example, I have a diesel truck that I use in my business and there is very little difference in acceleration whether is is empty or pulling a 6000 pound trailer. So I still think you are OK with the 2.0 diesel, but I am simply acknowledging that your requirements are very different from mine. I think of diesels like lineman on a football team--they are not the fastest guy on the field, but they can drag half the team with them and still run the 40 yard dash in under 5 seconds.
Thanks for the response. Diesel's make all their torque at low revs so as long as I can still be in low revs, the 2.0l diesel might still be OK as the Fpace is about 1,000 lbs lighter than my X5d so even though it doesn't make quite the same power, it may work. I sure would like to get input from other Fpace owners who may be placing heavier demands on their Fpace Diesels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts