Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several articles discussing the need for more horsepower to go along with the planned 2021 model refresh. The BMW 4.4 L twin turbo seems to be the favoured engine of choice given the 5.0 engine contract with Ford is expiring this year. The BMW engine could make this vehicle very competitive in the segment. Like to hear if anyone has heard any speculation from dealers etc.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I will miss the exhaust note of the Supercharged 8 for sure, if it is changing. I haven't heard much of anything on this other than I expect it will be a hybrid drive train of some sort and some of the HP will come from an electric motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All the information I have seen does indicate the 4.4 L twin turbo developed in collaboration with BMW. On the Land Rover side I have been telling friends if I was to buy a Velar I would buy the 2020 Velar SVA autobiography. It will likely be produced for one year only with the 5.0 supercharged engine and likely less than 100 vehicles to the US. Could be very sought after in the future resale market.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The 4.4 makes sense, probably 615-650 hp in the ftype and 575-600 in the pace.
I haven’t heard that engine yet, hopefully it sounds as good as the current 5.0

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,415 Posts
The 4.4 makes sense, probably 615-650 hp in the ftype and 575-600 in the pace.
I haven’t heard that engine yet, hopefully it sounds as good as the current 5.0
If it’s a twin turbo then probably not, because you know turbos.

DP

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah turbos :/

I guess technically they could ditch them and use a supercharger instead. They’re going to have to redesign the ductwork anyways.
Have any other JLR and/or SVO vehicles been turbos besides diesel/4cyl?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a 2020 F-Pace SVR because I was worried about losing the supercharged 8 cylinder engine in 2021. I forwent whatever interior upgrades the 2021 would get because, you know, I don't care about that stuff nearly as much as I do about the engine, exhaust, and visceral relationship with the vehicle. It is completely possible that the replacement engine will have more HP/performance than the existing one but the existing one already has more than I need and it is unlikely the new one will be as much fun to drive.

Am thinking about getting an F-Type SVR. If Jaguar does replace the engine for 2021, I wonder if I can pick up a 2020 one with the existing engine at a discount... :p

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Am thinking about getting an F-Type SVR. If Jaguar does replace the engine for 2021, I wonder if I can pick up a 2020 one with the existing engine at a discount... :p
Discounts should be readily available on the F-Type SVR.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah ftypes in general always seem to be on deep discount after sitting on the lot for a year. When I was looking for my 2017 S there were 125k sticker 2015 and 2016 Rs under $100k. You can still find 2018 R f-types out there now, but no SVR. I think SVRs might be too rare to expect a large discount.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah ftypes in general always seem to be on deep discount after sitting on the lot for a year. When I was looking for my 2017 S there were 125k sticker 2015 and 2016 Rs under $100k. You can still find 2018 R f-types out there now, but no SVR. I think SVRs might be too rare to expect a large discount.
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jaguar continues to be very quiet about what engine will be going in the 2021 RRS SVR and F Pace SVR. You would think by now they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,415 Posts
Jaguar continues to be very quiet about what engine will be going in the 2021 RRS SVR and F Pace SVR. You would think by now they know what they are doing.
I remember reading that they were going to partner with BMW for the V8 twin turbo engines

DP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember reading that they were going to partner with BMW for the V8 twin turbo engines

DP
Yeah there was lots if speculation that was the direction they were going but nothing lately which makes me wonder if they are delaying another year.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
They do know what they are going to do. They will tell everyone when the vehicle is released. It's a good sign that the F-Type still has the SC V8 though, IMO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do know what they are going to do. They will tell everyone when the vehicle is released. It's a good sign that the F-Type still has the SC V8 though, IMO.
I recognize by now they know what they are doing, but if they had exciting news they would let it out to generate interest, but if they continue with the SC V8 that is not new news. Also interesting that the new F Type launch has dropped the SVR model which I hope isn’t telling us they plan to drop the F Pace SVR as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recognize by now they know what they are doing, but if they had exciting news they would let it out to generate interest, but if they continue with the SC V8 that is not new news. Also interesting that the new F Type launch has dropped the SVR model which I hope isn’t telling us they plan to drop the F Pace SVR as well.
On the contrary -- announcing a new engine in the next iteration of the model likely would cause current potential buyers to wait, which is not what any automaker wants.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Betting either a) 2021 continues with the current SC 5.0, and you’ll probably be able to pick one up with a deep discount when 2022 starts delivering
Or
B) late half release like the 2019s with the new TC engine, with some level of discount on SC 2020s when the new engine is out.
With the “spy” pics out has anyone gotten video? Does it sound like the same engine? (F-Pace and F-Type new styles)

·
Registered
19 Posts
We know the 2021 F-type will continue to use the current SC engines. We also know the plant that manufacturers those engines will close in September since JLR cancelled their manufacturing agreement with Ford to supply those engines effective September 2020. Unless JLR has a stockpile of the current engines, they will have to move to a different supplier no later than the 2022MY, which is rumored to be BMW and their turbocharged engines.

I was surprised the 2021 F-Type, given it is a refresh, continues to use the current engines with Ford shutting down production of them in 2020. Since the 2021 F Pace is also a refresh, it would make since to change the engine at that time, but that didn’t apply to the F-Type.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We know the 2021 F-type will continue to use the current SC engines. We also know the plant that manufacturers those engines will close in September since JLR cancelled their manufacturing agreement with Ford to supply those engines effective September 2020. Unless JLR has a stockpile of the current engines, they will have to move to a different supplier no later than the 2022MY, which is rumored to be BMW and their turbocharged engines.

I was surprised the 2021 F-Type, given it is a refresh, continues to use the current engines with Ford shutting down production of them in 2020. Since the 2021 F Pace is also a refresh, it would make since to change the engine at that time, but that didn’t apply to the F
I was originally excited about the concept of the BMW engines, but recently posted negative comments about these engines is troubling. Maybe some other solution is forthcoming?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts