Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what are the intervals and mileage for

1. Engine oil
2. Belts and pulleys
3. Brake fluid
4. Transmission fluid
5. Spark plugs

Etc.

The user manual doesn't really state any of this information and don't really want to only rely on the car auto reminders.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Getting a printed schedule DOES seem more difficult these days, and some have cynically suggested that JLR is lengthening the timing on some items to be outside the 5-year window. I can't speak to any of that, but here's what my older copy of the schedule says (same engine)..

1. Engine oil 16k Miles / 1 Yr
2a. Super Charger Belt 96k Miles / 6 Yrs.
2b. Access Drive Belt 144k Miles / 9 Yrs
3. Brake fluid 48k Miles / 3 Yrs.
4. Transmission fluid Not on Maint Schedule
5. Spark plugs 96k Miles / 6 Yrs.
+ Engine Coolant 160k Miles / 10 Yrs

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! JLR actually gave you a printed copy?

I can't get anything in black and white from the dealer.

The service manager told me that brake fluid is during the 2nd service.

He also told me spark plugs in the 6th service.
I find it hard to believe that spark plugs can last that long without deterioration. They definitely put that outside the 5 yrs on purpose.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Plugs went to 100,000 miles on almost every car when they went to platinum. Mine got changed at 48,000 because it was part of the last free "scheduled" service, PO's had done their scheduled service early, which was a big reason why I bought mine, 16,000 mile on an oil change is just nuts.

Not mentioned is transfer case which is in the 50,000 mile range.

Jaguar/BMW say the tranny is "lifetime" but ZF says 100,000. I plan to do it then.

Like the tranny, the rear diff is "lifetime". I had mine changed at 50,000 in the F Type R and they found a leaking pinion seal, did the job for free under warranty.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Wait till you see the 2021+ schedule…They only service your vehicle every 2 years….including oil changes.
Anything serious to be done…just outside the 5/60. The amount that actually gets done is probably half of the pre 21 maintenance….Somebody at JLR must have fig out that this “free” maintenance is really costing them corporate wise…..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great info, everyone!
I don't see any replacement of belts or pulleys needed. Are we running on rubber belts or metal chains?

·
Registered
87 Posts
They have chains and they were the subject of a class action lawsuit here in the US for models in the 2012-2014 range for prematurely going out of spec. We have upgraded chains and tensioners but this is why I harp on frequent oil changes. Cheap insurance vs a timing chain job.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to know. At least chains don't fray and lose tension etc. 26,000km and yearly oil change seems a long gap though. That is what my dealer in Singapore is saying. They finally sent me their schedule via whatsapp.

Year 1/ 1st Service Engine oil
Year 2/ 2nd service Engine oil + brake fluid + aircon filter
Year 3/ 3rd service Engine oil + transfer case oil
Year 4/ 4th service Engine oil + brake fluid + aircon filter + rear diff oil + air intake filter
Year 5/ 5th service Engine oil

According to JohnnyLightning, year 6 is spark plugs and brake hoses and transfer case oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ah this discussion is very helpful, just recently took delivery of new 2022 P400 (after a 14 month wait!) and the dealer here in Santa Monica has been blanking all my requests on service details and intervals. Specifically I was expecting some kind of 'when its run in' service after say 5000 miles which I thought was standard for any new vehicle. But I cant even get a 'keep the revs below x for so many miles' from them. Any knowledgable owners out there care to give sensible suggestions, I figured I would just take it in after 5000 miles or 6 months just because I would kinda like to keep this for a while !

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ah this discussion is very helpful, just recently took delivery of new 2022 P400 (after a 14 month wait!) and the dealer here in Santa Monica has been blanking all my requests on service details and intervals. Specifically I was expecting some kind of 'when its run in' service after say 5000 miles which I thought was standard for any new vehicle. But I cant even get a 'keep the revs below x for so many miles' from them. Any knowledgable owners out there care to give sensible suggestions, I figured I would just take it in after 5000 miles or 6 months just because I would kinda like to keep this for a while !
I think it's a good idea to follow traditional break-in advice - not to over-rev and not to take prolonged drives at constant RPM's for the first 2,000 miles or so. I personally would change the oil at that point. Most manufacturers no longer say that's required because of improved machining methods, but I'm rather old-school. That early oil change would be out of pocket, since it isn't on the formal maintenance schedule.

You should have something like the section below in your owner's manual. If you're planning a long-term ownership,
Font Number
Font Number

Reactions: ROBTR8

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me just add that doing an oil change is an easy DIY project. I’d get the sucker and the filter wrench and just plan to do LOF’s yourself at earlier intervals.
I’m doing two of my own between one of the “prescribed” ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts