Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.. new member who recently stumbled across the F Pace. I currently drive an S60 polestar (2016) and since moving to the NC mountains last december am giving thought to an SUV. My wife likes the idea I may be "growing up" but strongly dislikes the idea of Jaguar due to name recognition and concerns over quality.

The jaguar S hits most of my have to have list of items (not really fast enough but budget wise I don't want to get into the SVR realm). I do enjoy driving and taking curves at higher than recommended speeds and so forth. BUT I also need ground clearance now, and due to some peripheral vision loss in my left eye I very much appreciate safety features such as blind spot assist, 360 view, rear backup warning and so forth. I really like traffic sign recognition. I have most of these in my polestar with exception of the 360 view.

I have already figured out jaguar likes to make you turn off the autostop feature every time you drive the car. I dislike that but aside from playing with wiring I can live with it. My current car works mostly flawlessly with my phone, nav system (though it does not understand what gravel road means), voice commands, and so forth. It has never been to the shop since I bought it except for oil changes (no squeaks, rattles, etc).

I found several older threads here describing a lot of complaints about the electronic interface, with things not working, etc. Also issue with rattles and so on. With the 2021 coming out with numerous changes, I wanted to see if these bugs had been fixed in the latter model years. I am guessing whatever is not fixed already most likely will remain frozen and the new cars will get the focus.

Thanks in advance for whatever you can share!

·
F Pace Expert
2,547 Posts
ICTP, the infotainment system, is now pretty robust and all the earlier systemic complaint items have been fixed. Mine works well, particularly with Apple CarPlay. The early squeaks, rattles and groans have been fixed to. It’s a pretty mature platform now. Not to say one off issue won’t come up. Check your exact clearance needs versus the vehicle. It has ok clearance but not great and there are more exposed parts than I’d like to see. To me the single most important thing is the dealership, do they have a very good reputation, is their service department competent and up to date? Is it close enough that if you do have issues it will be convenient for you to have them addressed. The Jaguar warranty really takes a fair amount of worry out of things but only if the dealer is good. I use my F Pace in remote areas, steep gravel roads, winter driving, etc and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VZX.. thanks. That's what I was looking for. I know whatever car a person buys can be a lemon, etc, or just one that has issues. When my polestar arrived it had a problem with the forward radar sensor, and volvo was a pain in the butt to get the part approved for changeout. They finally did and from that point the car has been trouble free. And I will see what I can discover about the local dealer. They are fairly close (20 or so miles). I've always said it isn't perfection that sets a product apart.. it is what they do to fix the imperfections when they occur. The US Jag warranty does help me consider the car.

I have limits in terms of what I am willing to spend on a car. I am not driving nearly as much as I did when I was younger. But, when I do drive I like to enjoy the experience versus hating the car I am in! The ground clearance spec on the F Pace is 8.4 inches minimum. That is more than it's immediate competitors and certainly more than my current car. I have seen pictures of the 2021 and overall in pictures think I like the insides better (especially moving the window buttons). But I also know a new 2021 will cost more than I probably want to spend and it will have new bugs like any new model year. Stable is a good thing.

I may drop by one of the 2 jag dealers in this area to see one in person and up close. Looking at the S version.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The warranty in the states is far better then uk with regards to he length if it. I love my jag but have you also considered the volvo suv?
Thx Bob..the US warranty is a factor. Without it most likely I would look elsewhere. It does help remove some concerns.

Volvo just doesn't make anything fast enough to catch my attention.6 seconds to 60 would feel like a slug to me after having a car that gets there in around 4.5. I wish they would put a 350 HP engine in the XC60. I also wish VW would bring the Tiguan R to the states (but thus far they say no). I'm really a car person and know going to an SUV will be an adjustment. I tend to salivate over cars such as the Audi RS3.. simple, not a police magnet and yet very fast when needed.

But, I think I can live with getting to 60 in around 5 seconds. Little slower than I am used to but with a lot less worry about skinning the front end going over a speed bump, or going off edge of the road and losing a front spoiler. I also like the features Jag offers including the 360 camera view, rear back up alarms for cross traffic (have that now) and the traffic sign recognition (don't ask me why but I really like having that).

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F Pace 35t R Sport
513 Posts
...I may drop by one of the 2 jag dealers in this area to see one in person and up close. Looking at the S version.
That answers my primary consideration: Will you have reasonable access to a dealership?
And since you do, you belong in an S!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Subscribed as I am also deliberating between getting a great deal on a 2020 now with a relatively "mature" platform that has already had many kinks worked out, or waiting for the likely more expensive 2021 with interior and infotainment improvements (but also more "first year" bugs, etc.). Also have no idea when the 2021 models will even appear (are they even in production yet?).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That answers my primary consideration: Will you have reasonable access to a dealership?
And since you do, you belong in an S!
One dealer is closer and only has 1 S on their lot that I would not buy (red interior and is missing some features). They will actually drive it to my home if I asked but knowing I won't buy it says I just need to drive and look at it (my wierd ethics thing). The other dealer is further away (50 minutes or so) but has several in inventory if they want to deal. Otherwise I can shop the nation and see who does!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Subscribed as I am also deliberating between getting a great deal on a 2020 now with a relatively "mature" platform that has already had many kinks worked out, or waiting for the likely more expensive 2021 with interior and infotainment improvements (but also more "first year" bugs, etc.). Also have no idea when the 2021 models will even appear (are they even in production yet?).
In same boat. What a dealer is willing to do on a 2020 (new or CPO) will make a difference. I don't have to be in a hurry. I dislike new model bugs and growing pains but also hate double instant depreciation when buying an outgoing model. Price just has to be right!

·
Registered
33 Posts
You have gave it good consideration and not jumping in. I share your love for power etc but unfortunately the pension does not stretch to the S so I get my buzz off my motorbikes and my sons turned S3.
Happy hunting, that is part of the enjoyment.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ok, I'm going to be that @$$%# SLOW DOWN!!!! There are other people on the road whose lives you are endangering. If you feel the need for speed, take it to a track.
The S is a beautiful vehicle that has plenty of power so just sit back and enjoy the journey instead of racing to the destination

Reactions: ExOz and MKenM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have gave it good consideration and not jumping in. I share your love for power etc but unfortunately the pension does not stretch to the S so I get my buzz off my motorbikes and my sons turned S3.
Happy hunting, that is part of the enjoyment.
I'll need to go see one this week and go from there. Luckily, I'm in no hurry to buy anything unless it feels right. This short journey thus far has allowed me to learn a lot though, and to better know what things matter. How the car drives and handles is huge. Not every car fits every person in same manner. How the seats feel... those littl eintangibles that can make one person love a car and another hate it. But, based upon the responses here the S is under consideration. A good deal from a dealer on a 20 and it may pull even further up!

My budget is not unlimited, either. Once i go north of my max amount, I'm out! And the 21 model may simply make me wait (doubtful)!

·
F Pace Expert
2,547 Posts
Generally I’d favor buying through dealer where you are expecting to get service if possible. I think a used S with a clean record and a complete service history and all updates would also be a budget friendly option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, I'm going to be that @$$%# SLOW DOWN!!!! There are other people on the road whose lives you are endangering. If you feel the need for speed, take it to a track.
The S is a beautiful vehicle that has plenty of power so just sit back and enjoy the journey instead of racing to the destination
Not sure why I am replying but usually try to reply to everyone who replies to a post I have started. America is a great place the last I checked.. freedom is grand. For what it is worth I have never had a speeding ticket in my life nor have I ever had a wreck. I am 58. I've owned 3 reasonably fast cars, and find added acceleration is a safety thing in general. Lots of wacky drivers out there who are poor drivers regardless of their car speed. Avoidance of those drivers is a big thing. reckless drivers are the worst such as those who cut between lanes constantly, cutting people off in the process. I saw a very SLOW Honda Civic doing this yesterday.

This thread was meant to be about the F Pace and whether the early problems posted all over the internet had been addressed by Jaguar, and it would be nice to keep it on point. The second half of your post is appreciated. Good thing this is not a discussion on the tesla X SUV which can hit 60 in 2.6 seconds!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Generally I’d favor buying through dealer where you are expecting to get service if possible. I think a used S with a clean record and a complete service history and all updates would also be a budget friendly option.
I don't disagree. We moved this past december from living near Charlotte NC. It is a brutal area for car buying. Prices higher than average, etc. When we lived there I always gave local dealers a chance, and did not demand they absolutely beat an over the internet dealer price. They just never got close (perhaps they did not have to).

I am in a new area now and will see what happens. The dealer nearest me does not have anything on the lot I would buy. The other one has 3 but is close to an hour away. I would prefer to buy from where it will be serviced.

But, I have had really good luck with buying certified pre owned cars via dealers over the net. My wife's 2012 touareg had 3300 miles on it when we bought it (CPO) and it was $10K less expensive than the same car was locally at the time.

I do want to see the car in person though. I usually like off the beaten path things and think this qualifies! My polestar was one of 250 imported into the US in 2016!

·
F Pace Expert
2,547 Posts
One of my favorite things about the F-Pace is relative rarity in a sea of BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/Lexus/Etc.

Side note: my brother has a Polestar 2 electric on order and very excited about it, a retired 30 year high end independent auto repair shop owner going electric

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of my favorite things about the F-Pace is relative rarity in a sea of BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/Lexus/Etc.

Side note: my brother has a Polestar 2 electric on order and very excited about it, a retired 30 year high end independent auto repair shop owner going electric
If I have seen one in person, I simply wasn't looking. Course, there is a good chance because until recently I was not thinking SUV. But, am beginning to realize where we now live an SUV would offer some benefits as long as it still has some fun about it :)

My S60 polestar was the last year Volvo made it in a 6 cylinder. 2017 was the last year for the car to be made before the separate polestar company was formed in China. I'm not ready to go the way of electric just yet, but it does seem to be the future, or at least short term future. Porsche is headed electric as well.

A year or so ago I drove a BMW X3 M40i and just could not find any love for it. Not trashing it. To me it did not handle well in the turns nor did it feel as peppy as advertised (I am guessing the advertised speeds are via launch control which I do not need or care for since I'm not a track person). Could be I simply did not know the car well enough to know how to drive it. My car is decidedly ho hum in regular drive mode. It gets a lot less ho hum in Sport mode. And really something else when shifting manually.

But the X3 body style is all over the road (course the plant where they are made is about 40 miles from me). I guess I just see too many of them. I see a lot of Macan's around as well. Nice looking car albeit dated looking somewhat on the inside. And fairly small, if that matters. I could not get past the dealer $400 oil changes to want the badge.

I do hope your brother enjoys his electric polestar! My car has been great in most ways (except for parking it.. does not do tight turns well at all.. on the road, different beast. hugs the road like rails). I hate that polestar has left Volvo. An XC60 with a real polestar treatment would have been welcome! Not the current hybrid stuff!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I went the CPO way with a 2019 S trim, and although more than I was originally planning on paying, in hindsight, I feel better with the 2 years remaining on the existing Jag warranty and one year on the CPO warranty after that. I don't think it makes a difference regarding which dealership. The dealership is going to make money on servicing of your vehicle, whether through Jag or you. Although, beware of some shady Jag dealerships. I had one that tried to sell me a CPO that had been a "lemon" law vehicle. And another, that wanted to include a $1000 "low jack" type add-on, Plus $1500 for an interior and exterior protection plan to the invoice. WTH!

·
F Pace Expert
2,547 Posts
Yes, I went the CPO way with a 2019 S trim, and although more than I was originally planning on paying, in hindsight, I feel better with the 2 years remaining on the existing Jag warranty and one year on the CPO warranty after that. I don't think it makes a difference regarding which dealership. The dealership is going to make money on servicing of your vehicle, whether through Jag or you. Although, beware of some shady Jag dealerships. I had one that tried to sell me a CPO that had been a "lemon" law vehicle. And another, that wanted to include a $1000 "low jack" type add-on, Plus $1500 for an interior and exterior protection plan to the invoice. WTH!

Well.....lots of incidences on here of people getting less than friendly service or no service from dealer other than purchase dealer when they ran into a major problem

1 - 20 of 20 Posts