Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jaguar decided to do a mild refresh for the F-type for the 2018 model year. Revised headlamps, ICTP infotainment screen and a upgrade in power from that Jag supercharged V6 we all know and love.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-jaguar-f-type/preview/

Wish it wasn't so overpriced or I would be interested in one.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You can't just say "F-Type." You have to identify the variant. Is it a Base model, F-Type S, F-Type R, or F-Type SVR? What the **** is an F-Type 400 Sport? Sounds like a name change for the F-Type S, with 20 extra HP?

Late Add: I just looked it up. That's basically what it is. A special edition to the F-Type S. 400 HP instead of 380. Maybe they want to distinguish it from the 380HP F-Pace. Maybe they are worried the F-Pace 380 is quicker than the F-Type S. Even this new 400 Sport "Special Edition" is barely quicker than a 380HP F-Pace. The Jaguar website has the "new" 400 Sport at 4.9 secs to 60. That's only an eye-blink from 5.1.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't just say "F-Type." You have to identify the variant. Is it a Base model, F-Type S, F-Type R, or F-Type SVR? What the **** is an F-Type 400 Sport? Sounds like a name change for the F-Type S, with 20 extra HP?
Click the link my friend. Every model is getting the revised headlamps and ICTP infotainment as standard. There is a new model slotted above the 'S' and below the 'R'. They juiced the supercharged V6 for 20 more HP to get the 400 sport. So every model from 2017 will still be available for 2018 PLUS the 400 red sport.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Click the link my friend. Every model is getting the revised headlamps and ICTP infotainment as standard. There is a new model slotted above the 'S' and below the 'R'. They juiced the supercharged V6 for 20 more HP to get the 400 sport. So every model from 2017 will still be available for 2018 PLUS the 400 red sport.
I'm just focused on the engine change. I look at this as Jag's version of the Macan GT. It's Jag's version of Gran Tourismo without saying it. Porsche juiced the GT to 360HP from the Macan S' 340HP. Same sh*t. They decided to offer a variant in between the really expensive Macan Turbo and the most popular variant, the Macan S. Jag is doing the same thing. That's my only point. It's to get a little more revenue from people who can afford more than an S but see the delta between the S and the R too large. With the 400 Sport, they get a little more over the people who purchased an F-Type S. Some might call it "responding to market demand." I call it manipulating prospective buyers to boost revenue. I'm not criticizing, just explaining. It's the American way. Feed the beast.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just focused on the engine change. I look at this as Jag's version of the Macan GT. It's Jag's version of Gran Tourismo without saying it. Porsche juiced the GT to 360HP from the Macan S' 340HP. Same sh*t. They decided to offer a variant in between the really expensive Macan Turbo and the most popular variant, the Macan S. Jag is doing the same thing. That's my only point. It's to get a little more revenue from people who can afford more than an S but see the delta between the S and the R too large. With the 400 Sport, they get a little more over the people who purchased an F-Type S. Some might call it "responding to market demand." I call it manipulating prospective buyers to boost revenue. I'm not criticizing, just explaining. It's the American way. Feed the beast.
I am a little confused because Infiniti, just this year debuted the Q50 and Q60 400 red SPORT. I am surprised Infiniti doesn't have an issue with how closely the F-type 400 Sport resembles their nomenclature.

Totally agree on what their strategy is though, they add some cosmetic bits, a slightly boosted engine and they have convinced F-type S buyers to move on up to the F-type 400 Sport. Interesting to see they said the 400 sport will only be available for 2018... Im guessing in an attempt to boost sales even more. When something is limited run everyone wants it, or thats the thought of Jag corporate I'm guessing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts