Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-I'm new, I need some help

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum but have been on here multiple of times as I debate whether to purchase an F-Pace S or wait for the Range Rover Velar? Please let me know what you all recommend? I'm 25 and buying my first car..My budget is 65ish K. So car the best i got was about a 1,000 off a new 2018 F Pace S ordered to my liking. I can get a 247hp Velar with the options I need for 64k. I know the Pace drives much better I'm just here trying to hear out opinion!

Thanks,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between these two cars. Of course I have yet to test drive the Velar as its not released until Summer. I'm buying my fist car and was planing to get an F-Pace S with the Tech package, roof rails (as you can't get them after), satin veneer, black package, and the black 20' rims. My budget is at about 64k and I'm considering all options. I'm 25 and not looking to get a car that will be in the shop as range rovers are known for. I know the pace drives much better and since I can only get a Velar at 247hp the F-pace S kills it in performance. That Velar interior though is pretty appealing. Any suggestions from all the S pace owners?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide between these two cars. Of course I have yet to test drive the Velar as its not released until Summer. I'm buying my fist car and was planing to get an F-Pace S with the Tech package, roof rails (as you can't get them after), satin veneer, black package, and the black 20' rims. My budget is at about 64k and I'm considering all options. I'm 25 and not looking to get a car that will be in the shop as range rovers are known for. I know the pace drives much better and since I can only get a Velar at 247hp the F-pace S kills it in performance. That Velar interior though is pretty appealing. Any suggestions from all the S pace owners?

Thanks,
Very easy. F-pace S all the way. If your budget was 90k I would tell you the Velar, but, like you said, the RR Velar is so overpriced that you would be stuck with the paltry 2.0 liter turbo :eek:

Design wise I think its very close, the Velar is now one of the most attractive vehicles, not just SUVs, in the entire market right next to the F-pace. I think it comes down to personal preference if you think the F-pace edges out the Velar or the other way around. Its obvious interior wise the Velar would easily beat out the F-pace but at 25 I would think (like me) you want an engaging, fun drive with an amazing exhaust note to boot... thats what the F-pace is. Decision would be very easy for me. Sounds like a very nice build as well so I would go for the Jag all the way.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Your budget answers that question for you. Couldn't recommend ever buying the base model of a luxury brand car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
You really just have to drive the both. While the specs may speak one way, driving may speak another. Sometimes having just enough HP is really ok when you enjoy the drive given everything else. Curious to see how the Velar turns out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've seen the Velar in person and sat inside. The interior is vastly superior, exterior is a tie. if you're only about image, get the Velar. If you want the most well rounded and performing vehicle for your budget, get the F Pace.

Reactions: Reckon

·
Registered
123 Posts
How about a FPace exterior and a Velar interior? Now that would be a dream of a car.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
How about a FPace exterior and a Velar interior? Now that would be a dream of a car.
Yeah, and how about the whole world comes together and dances to katy perry and we all party... what kind of dream world are you living in ;)>:)

Reactions: Jetman

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydina;

How about an FPace exterior and a Velar interior? Now that would be a dream of a car.

Jman97 said;
Yeah, and how about the whole world comes together and dances to katy perry and we all party... what kind of dream world are you living in.

Great idea, JMan97; So how about an FPace exterior and a Velar interior with Katy Perry in the passenger seat singing her hit songs while cruising along in Dynamic mode with the pop and crackle of the exhaust in tune with her lovely voice in a skimpy dress?

Beautiful cars and beautiful women are a staple of the automotive world.
Now that would be a dream of a dreamy Katy in a dream of a car. Ah, the beginnings of lyrics that Katy may one day sing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydina;

How about an FPace exterior and a Velar interior? Now that would be a dream of a car.

Jman97 said;
Yeah, and how about the whole world comes together and dances to katy perry and we all party... what kind of dream world are you living in.

Great idea, JMan97; So how about an FPace exterior and a Velar interior with Katy Perry in the passenger seat singing her hit songs while cruising along in Dynamic mode with the pop and crackle of the exhaust in tune with her lovely voice in a skimpy dress?

Beautiful cars and beautiful women are a staple of the automotive world.
Now that would be a dream of a dreamy Katy in a dream of a car. Ah, the beginnings of lyrics that Katy may one day sing.
I like the way you think! :D;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your budget answers that question for you. Couldn't recommend ever buying the base model of a luxury brand car.
I don't know about the rest of JLR, but Range Rovers don't work like that. You can spec a loaded HSE R-Dynamic with the small engine...doesn't make it the base model.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Gords1115,

I'm was in the same boat. I'm not sure where the conclusion that the Velar is so overpriced comes from. Maybe the V6 F-Pace is a steal, but the 25t isn't. The 2018 F-Pace R-Sport 25t starts at $55k vs $60k for the Velar SE R-Dynamic, which comes with so much more standard. I built both to my needs....both are $63k-ish, with the F-Face actually being $600 dollars more. The specs were very close, with the only differences in my builds being minor details..the F-Pace has heated rear seats, the Velar has a 360 parking aid, interior mood lighting, and adaptive speed limiter. That's about it. I've driven the turbo4 competition (Macan, GLC300, X3, Q5, etc) and I like the more efficient engines. They have enough power for me, so I suspect I'll be happy with the new turbo4 Ingenium as well. The only thing that concerns me is the exhaust note, but I'll live. I suspect the F-Pace will sound better than the Velar out of the gate though. Also, I'm sure you can work a better deal on the F-Pace...with the Velar you're stuck paying sticker.

All things considered, I ended up ordering the Velar. My last 2 cars have been Porsche sports cars and I'm eager for something more comfortable and luxurious..which is the Velar's strong point. Fingers crossed that it maintains a trace of the F-Pace's sporty character. I'm 30, so not ready for anything soft yet. Gonna participate on this forum anyway...still the same family.

·
Registered
113 Posts
After playing some more, I see that the F-Pace S is a great value. I built all 3 petrol models with similar specs and came to this conclusion...

F-Pace R-Sport 25t: $63,420 - Not a great value, Velar R-Dynamic is better at this point.

F-Pace R-Sport 35t: $67,620 - Who would buy this over the S? It's more expensive.

F-Pace S: $66,895 - Good value, at this point the F-Pace makes sense.

·
Registered
278 Posts
If it were me, I would lean towards the Velar but only if starting at the $85k-90 range. That puts it $10k above the S model I have, Not sure it is worth the extra $10-15. I would need to play and drive it to make that decision.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Love the velar at certain angles, Love the F-pace at EVERY angle. The velar is hands down the best looking design by LR thus far but I still think its looks weird at certain angles. I still think an F-pace S is a bargain compared to a Velar.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the choice comes down to how involved you want to be in driving the car. The F-Pace is a much sportier drive and the Velar more of a "cushy" ride. I still get surprised sometimes how well my F-Pace handles.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I think the choice comes down to how involved you want to be in driving the car. The F-Pace is a much sportier drive and the Velar more of a "cushy" ride. I still get surprised sometimes how well my F-Pace handles.
Wow I didn't know the Velar was available to drive yet. Can you give us more details of your test drive?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Love the velar at certain angles, Love the F-pace at EVERY angle. The velar is hands down the best looking design by LR thus far but I still think its looks weird at certain angles. I still think an F-pace S is a bargain compared to a Velar.
My assumption is that it will be a different story in person. But I haven't seen it, so who knows. That F-Pace S is tempting though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow I didn't know the Velar was available to drive yet. Can you give us more details of your test drive?
>:)

From what I've read, the Velar is much sportier and more on-road focused than the Range Rover Sport...which makes sense considering its bones. I'm sure its not going to be as driver-focused as the F-Pace, but I'd bet it will be reasonably fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts