Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start replacing the front pads and rotors on my base 18 F-Pace, I wanted to confirm the size of the Allen head socket on the calipers and also the Star screw that holds the rotor on to the hub.
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Allen head on caliper is 7/16". I can't remember the size of the torque screw for the rotor, but if you buy a set, it should come with the right size. I pulled it right from the set I've had for ages. Be VERY careful with that one, maybe spray some PB Blaster on it and let it sit for a little while as soon as you take the wheel off the car. Make sure the torque socket is set in there really good and pressure applied is even and "straight" as you turn it. These seemed to be softer and more prone to stripping than other cars I've worked on in the past.

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
It's an English vehicle. I doubt it's Imperial (inches - feet). Metric is (millimeters - centimeters). Eleven millimeters is the approximate equivalent of 7/16 inches.

·
Registered
575 Posts
MKenM...I did this job myself. It's 7/16". An 11mm may work, but 7/16" was the exact fit size.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update, 7/16 hex head is correct, but I have another question, does the brake sensor need to be replaced? It’s a leased vehicle and I’m returning it in 3 months.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Update, 7/16 hex head is correct, but I have another question, does the brake sensor need to be replaced? It’s a leased vehicle and I’m returning it in 3 months.
If it is worn down and caused a brake wear light, yes it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started the brake job yesterday. I planned On replacing the pads and rotors. I had no issue unscrewing the Star screw on the rotor, but I was amazed at how the brake caliper bracket was a one piece forging attached to suspension and steering bushings etc. So in order to replace a rotor you need to unscrew this forging and potentially mess up your steering etc...Am I correct? Unnecessary complexity in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, any suggestions for a parts supplier to buy 2 Front Brake pad wear sensors. I own a 2018 25T Prestige

·
Registered
575 Posts
There is no danger to messing up your steering when doing the rotors. Just put it back on the way it came off. No idea where to get pad sensors. I didn't replace mine. Did you actually get a brake wear light go on? The pads have to be VERY low for that to trigger. If not, reuse it if you can. Though sometimes the little clips that hold them to the pad brake off (and by sometimes, I mean "usually", lol). You can replace that easily even after the brakes are done. Just take the wheel off and plug the new one in, no need to disassemble everything again.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any decent auto parts store should have the sensor, but they might not actually have it in stock. Depending on how many other vehicles might use the same sensor it certainly isn’t a real popular item for them to stock it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dakar09,
I did get the brake wear light, and the pads were low. It’s my wife’s vehicle and I’m surprised at how fast the brakes wore down. I had to replace the rears at 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its not 7/16”. It will be 11mm as everything is now metric. It’s just coincidental that 7/16” equals 11mm.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can't believe we're having this "argument", Stevie. Despite massive trust issues with everyone on everything in these crazy times, I'm going to ask you to trust me on this in that I was DOWN there, with both a 7/16" and an 11mm, and the 7/16" WAS the exact fit on MY car...and apparently on Vito's car.

And no big chain auto stores "stock" parts for our cars aside from wipers and maybe oil filters. I have found this to be the case even with my later model Volvos. You'll likely have to get this online or from Jaguar itself. It's not a common part. Even brake pads for these things had to be ordered. The car is not common enough to warrant stocking these parts on the shelves in the big box stores, especially with so many people shopping online.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is my first Jaguar, probably my last for many reasons, however what Dakar09 said is true, I can’t find anyplace that has parts for this car. I bought brake pads online for $55. Jaguar dealership wanted $242! Total BS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished the brake job today, new pads and rotors, took a little over an hour. One takeaway, there is only one brake sensor on the left side. I mistakenly bought 2.
Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I replaced the brake sensor today. Short of going to the dealership, or owning any special tool, is it possible to clear the Brake Warning light on the instrument panel?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bump, Any help with the above question? Can I reset the Brake warning light myself, or is this a job for the dealership?

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is my first Jaguar, probably my last for many reasons, however what Dakar09 said is true, I can’t find anyplace that has parts for this car. I bought brake pads online for $55. Jaguar dealership wanted $242! Total BS.
Have you tried Rimmerbros? Totally legit, super fast, you just pay exchange and your banks international fee.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts