Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2017 F-Pace 3l Diesel Sport (good specification) in the UK and after a few trips the rear driver side back seat belt snagged in the plastic trim when moving slightly away from the door. This results in excess seat belt and slack over your body making the seat belt not safe as a consequence of it not retracting without manually positioning it back in line with the trim centre. I raised a case with JLR who stated this was it’s normal design and operation. After further investigation JLR replaced the car with a 2018/2019 like for like new car and the issue has reoccurred which is no surprise as this is a design issue. I have read on the forum here that the Wilde Jaguar Dealership in Sarasota identified a fix which is simple involving the trim where the seat belt protrudes from. Could anybody please provide this fix so I can get my local dealer to carry out. I have a son who sits on the back of the car in an isofix seat with straps but when he moves up a car seat we are reliant on the safe operation of the rear seat belts which is a serious concern and I need some help please. Many Thanks David

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Your thread and concern are very much appreciated. Please wait for a member who has experienced your situation to reply. You may bump the thread if your question does not get answered in a few days. Please keep in mind that many forum members do not look at the forum every day and some have left. In the case of @Reckon he has not posted in over a year. If he is still around hopefully this will get his attention.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I know the loaner I have right now does it and when my youngest mentioned it I was shocked and she then told me that my MY 2018 does it too so I will be inspecting loaner tomorrow and will bring it up to my SA on both loaner and my F-PACE.
As I sit and type this asking her for details she has now informed me that my MY 2017 did it as well but there was no slack in the belt at the time of our crash so I can't say for certain that it would have done it's job if it had been one of the times it was out of position.
Obviously I will be investigating and asking her more questions.

Reactions: Baskettd

·
Registered
75 Posts
I brought this up with my dealership after a week of ownership and they said jaguar was looking into it . I found that the angle of the rear seat tilt affects this. 2019's have this fixed 80% from the loaner I had a few months ago. Nothing for 17 & 18 years though. ��

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These quotes are very helpful hopefully somebody in the know can give us details of the fix please. I just did a journey in the car and it slackened 3 x in a 30 mile round trip after slightly leaning over and using the rear climate control settings. The seat belt get’s trapped in the plastic trim so this should be easy to rectify. Hopefully JLR can assist also.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I brought this up with my dealership after a week of ownership and they said jaguar was looking into it . I found that the angle of the rear seat tilt affects this. 2019's have this fixed 80% from the loaner I had a few months ago. Nothing for 17 & 18 years though. ��
the loaner I have is a MY 2019 and is doing it and does not have adjustable seats, my MY 2017 didn't have adjustable seats either but my MY 2018 does so I do not think it is a seat adjustment issue

@Baskettd can you give us some more details on your model F-PACE
the more info we are armed with when we talk to our dealers, the better.

since mine is in for service now I will be calling them at open tomorrow to see what they have to say and will check back with any info

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I was able to repeatedly and reliable reproduce this problem on both the drivers and passenger sides of the loaner I currently have I so I am confident that when I speak to SA in the morning I will be able to tell him how to do it so he can find a fix the problem.
Also I tried holding a wooden dowel and a wooden ruler under the belt resting on back of seat where belt extends from and could not get same result but as soon as I removed it, bingo! So maybe it needs trimming or perhaps a lift? @Baskettd you have obviously been dealing with this problem for a while so have you tried sitting in the car and just pulling it in and out repeatedly to break it in so to speak.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi There, sorry for the late reply my car is a 68 plate 2019 model F-Pace Sport Model, 3l engine diesel.

My car is also with my dealer at present.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi There, it’s not a break it in issue but a design fault as we had this issue after vigorous use of at least 12 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do we know if Jaguar anywhere in the world have a recognised and controlled fix for this problem at all?
best regards

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
My SA could not replicate issue. I will replicate it for him tomorrow when I pick up vehicle and ask if it is acknowledged by JLR as an issue

Reactions: DPinTX

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I could not replicate for SA in my MY 2018 only in the loaner he is not aware that it is an issue and does not know of any fix.
But I will be keeping an eye on mine since my youngest said it does happen

·
Registered
99 Posts
Experienced this on MY18 Pace and first time dealer replaced the seatbelt mechanism as belt was fully extended and would not retract at all (1 day to order part/1 day to install). I recently found it (this retraction issue) as a definite design flaw because it happens intermittently if the belt is attempted to be retracted but isn't done so exactly straight in. I pull and retract the belt slightly closer and in line with the the door then it retracts. Ughhhh. Love the Pace so much but these things bite....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there, has an EPQR or TA been raised by your service dealer (this is Jaguar’s method of creating a global alert). This is highly likely a design issue and with UK seat belt legislation we can’t safely transport our child in the rear of the car. Hopefully this can be fixed by a simple design change as we love the car.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
so while detailing Carina yesterday the rear passenger side seat belt stuck i repeatedly pulled it out and got it stuck again over and over then when I got to the driver side rear seat the belt did not stick but it also looked different than the passenger side. After some exploring I saw the passenger side rear seat was slightly reclined so I moved it upright and tried again and could not get it to stick. Of course this was all in driveway with no real world experimenting so we will wait and see.

Of those with the issue do you have the reclining rear seat?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This makes very interesting reading. If only we had read this before purchasing our 2019 Jaguar F Pace Sport. We discovered the issue with the seat belt snagging when driving with our son in the car, shortly after changing his car seat from one with a integrated harness to one which uses the passenger seat belt. We were driving along and notice that the belt was loose around our son's waist. We reported this to our local dealer (where we bought the car), the first time they said that it had been fixed; however, when it continued to happen, we tried to return the car and Jaguar told us to leave the dealership and that the seatbelt was fine.
We have since informed the DVSA who are investigating this and will update you further following their investigation. JLR have denied that there is a design fault. We are due to have our car independently tested as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts