Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the look of the 22s, but will I get a rougher ride? What is the downside of the 22s? Is it harder to find all-weather tires? (I'm in Denver)
Thoughts? (and when is that dang 2018 build going to come out??? - I'm losing patience)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love the look of the 22s, but will I get a rougher ride? What is the downside of the 22s? Is it harder to find all-weather tires? (I'm in Denver)
Thoughts? (and when is that dang 2018 build going to come out??? - I'm losing patience)
The ride likely to be a bit rougher but use the tire pressure to accommodate a bit. I have the 22" Pirelli OEM but am running Pirelli 22" Scorpion Winters in the snow, as shown in the pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
When I took delivery of my S I asked the dealer to replace the Pirelli summer tires with Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06 all season tires on delivery. I've been very happy with them to date, but then we haven't really had any kind of real winter yet. With less sidewall than the standard 20" wheels on the S I'm sure the ride is a little firmer but feel the adaptive dynamics in Normal mode provide a decent ride.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
It is not hard to find 22" inch all seasons. I have 'em on my F-Pace. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06. I kept my Pirelli 22" summer tires, because I plan to switch back in April. My driving style requires a firmer ride.

I love the ride in the Pirelli P-Zero Summers. Those babies are perfect for the track or the Autobahn. Or the US Interstate Highway system! :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
"Love the look of the 22s, but will I get a rougher ride?"
Yes, a bit. The F-pace is already a relatively stiff ride, so if you're OK on the 20's, you may not mind difference.
As mentioned above, you can lower the tire pressure to help compensate. Of course, that's what many with 20's are doing to be more like 19's.
"What is the downside of the 22s?"
Aside from ride:
Price. Even more so for those who opt for summer tires, because you'll be buying them +/- every year.
There is probably a minor gas mileage effect due to the added weight of the 22" wheel+tire.
Being a more unusual size, there are somewhat fewer tire choices - which also leads into your last question...
"Is it harder to find all-weather tires?"
A bit. It's less likely you'll find them in stock at your local tire store, but not a big deal for scheduled replacements. It could be inconvenient if you needed an emergency replacement. Could be a real problem if there is a supply interruption. Not common, but plausible on a low-volume tire. (Ask anyone who was trying to buy PSS's last year.)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
"Love the look of the 22s, but will I get a rougher ride?"
Yes, a bit. The F-pace is already a relatively stiff ride, so if you're OK on the 20's, you may not mind difference.
As mentioned above, you can lower the tire pressure to help compensate. Of course, that's what many with 20's are doing to be more like 19's.
"What is the downside of the 22s?"
Aside from ride:
Price. Even more so for those who opt for summer tires, because you'll be buying them +/- every year.
There is probably a minor gas mileage effect due to the added weight of the 22" wheel+tire.
Being a more unusual size, there are somewhat fewer tire choices - which also leads into your last question...
"Is it harder to find all-weather tires?"
A bit. It's less likely you'll find them in stock at your local tire store, but not a big deal for scheduled replacements. It could be inconvenient if you needed an emergency replacement. Could be a real problem if there is a supply interruption. Not common, but plausible on a low-volume tire. (Ask anyone who was trying to buy PSS's last year.)
I told my JLR dealer the exact 22" all season tires I wanted and they ordered them for about the same price as Tire Rack and installed them for me. They aren't hard to get. By switching out in the spring and late fall, both sets of tires will last that much longer. Example: I got my car (with summer 22s) last May. I only accumulated 5500 miles on them before switching to Continental all seasons. When I switch back in 4-5 weeks, I will have almost exactly 5500 miles on my all seasons. This could easily go on for 3-4 years with the summers and minimum 5-6 years with all seasons, which I can simply leave on all year round after tread life expires on the summer tires.

Why do I bother switching out? Because the best PERFORMANCE in wet and dry weather with temps above 50 degrees is easily the summer tires. The summers have the highest speed rating and are built to maximize performance. That is why JLR put them on the S/FEs. If it was only a matter of looks, they could've gone with 22" all seasons. The summers perform better. Get them if performance is your priority. If not, then get all seasons.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For me, it came down to the 22's only coming in summer tires. It sounds like you'll be able to get the 22's with all season rubber for the MY 2018.

If that's true, I'd definitely order the 22's, CUZ THEY LOOK AWESOME!

Kerry

·
Registered
245 Posts
The is a little bit of information here that isn't quite correct. Larger wheels hurt performance in every measurable metric versus a smaller wheel shod with the same rubber. Note that Car & Driver tested the FE and then later the S with the 20"wheels/all seasons and the latter bested the FE in all but two measured metrics. What you have with that comparison is a big advantage in rubber on the 22s versus a big advantage in unsprung weight with the 20s. With the same rubber on the wheels whether it be summer, all seasons, mud and snow, snow, the 22s will lose in every objective measurement in a convincing fashion because tires are huge, but then again so is unsprung weight.

So exactly what do you lose with larger wheels? You'll have slower acceleration, longer braking distances, slower transient response, reduced wheel control, lower lateral grip, reduced economy, reduced compliance, more wheel damage from road hazards, less options for tires, less options for wheels. What do you get with larger wheels? Objectively, nothing. Subjectively, some like the look.

Something to think about... You could order the car without upgrading the wheels and buy flowforms and summer rubber for less than the cost of the 22s if you factor in selling the HREs later. They're one of the few wheels you can get a decent chunk back out of at resale. Then your car can look cool without mounting performance robbing 22s.

·
Registered
176 Posts
What do you get with larger wheels? Objectively, nothing. Subjectively, some like the look.
Including Ian Callum, who is arguably the most talented designer in the industry and has a great eye for beauty.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I asked the same question to the forum before I bought my F-Pace. Everyone that had 22" wheels responded that they were not a problem. I have had my F-Pace for a little over a month and I have found no issue with the ride. I have had either a SUV or a truck for the last 25 years with the biggest wheels being 20" and I feel the F-Pace rides as smooth or smoother than any of them. Performance wise it is everything I could possibly want plus it has the looks to go with it. :) So don't let those with 20" wheels talk you out of the 22" wheels if that is what you really want, otherwise, you may regret it later.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Including Ian Callum, who is arguably the most talented designer in the industry and has a great eye for beauty.
You don't know that. No 22s on his cars at Aston nor the F-Type either. Presumably if he loved the look and could have done so on his own hook he would have put them on those as well. I think it more likely be was instructed up front the car would have larger optional wheels and to make sure the design supported them along with the smaller wheels. This because SUV/crossover buyers gobble them up and corporate likes them because they're a high profit option that get excellent sell-through thanks to the target market being largely ignorant of the downsides.

As to the subjectives I don't like the look even slightly on this car or any other and I know a lot of people who share that opinion. In fairness I have to admit I also know some that love the big wheels and let's face it, for some buyers, looks are everything. That's fine, their money, their choices.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You don't know that. No 22s on his cars at Aston nor the F-Type either. Presumably if he loved the look and could have done so on his own hook he would have put them on those as well. I think it more likely be was instructed up front the car would have larger optional wheels and to make sure the design supported them along with the smaller wheels. This because SUV/crossover buyers gobble them up and corporate likes them because they're a high profit option that get excellent sell-through thanks to the target market being largely ignorant of the downsides.

As to the subjectives I don't like the look even slightly on this car or any other and I know a lot of people who share that opinion. In fairness I have to admit I also know some that love the big wheels and let's face it, for some buyers, looks are everything. That's fine, their money, their choices.
Aston and F-Type are different kinds of vehicles. They are CUVs/SUVs. Frankly, the bigger/taller the sidewall, the sloppier the ride. That's why I like 22s. Also, the softer the compound, the sloppier the ride. That's why I like summer tires over my current all-seasons. This from Autotrader:

If you've been shopping for a new car lately, you may have noticed how many models have bigger wheels and a larger tire size. A bigger wheel/tire combo not only looks cool, it reduces the tire's sidewall height. The sidewall is the part of the tire between the inside diameter (where the tire meets the wheel) and the outside diameter (where the tire meets the pavement). The more sidewall you have, the more cushion there is between you and the road. Many cars with 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheels have very narrow sidewalls. This design vastly improves handling but tends to deliver a rather harsh ride.

Conversely, handling is diminished when tires have tall sidewalls because there is more chance for excessive lean and roll (picture jogging in a nice pair of running shoes versus high heels).

The best handling with an F-Pace is with 22 inch Summer Tires. You can't beat summer tires for handling. That's why legit sports cars come with summer tires regardless of size. When it comes to performance/handling, I'll take an 18 inch or a 22-inch summer tire any day over a 20-inch all-season tire. Unless there is snow on the ground, of course. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are terrible in the snow that would be my only complaint. It is not really a complaint because I did not buy it for snow; we use our LR4 for that type of driving.

·
Registered
245 Posts
... l'll take an 18 inch or a 22-inch summer tire any day over a 20-inch all-season tire. Unless there is snow on the ground, of course. :)
Agreed. I greatly prefer them whenever possible. Unfortunately the rest of your post simply isn't giving the whole picture.

Summer tires are a huge advantage but increased wheel size is a huge nerf and in that battle with this exact car the 22s lost in independent testings. In fact they only managed to just barely squeak two metrics and lost all the rest. The superior tires were incapable of overcoming the disadvantage of the larger diameter wheels. This is no surprise because physics don't lie as the saying goes. Put those same summer tires on the 20 inch wheels instead of the compromised all seasons and the 22s get beat about the head and shoulders followed by the 20s walking off with the girl.

No one BTW is talking about putting mudders on the car and 20s in this aspect ratio can in no way be considered tall in the sidewall by any standard.

There is no performance argument for larger wheels, they lose every time without fail because they must. If someone likes the looks enough to disregard they fact that they are a significant performance loss that's fine. I've done similar things myself, not with cars but in other areas. I'm not calling anyone out on this, to be honest if this thing wasn't being sold as a performance crossover I wouldn't have posted. Who cares what size wheels come on a minivan? They do say its a performance crossover though and people are asking about the advantage and disadvantage of going either direction. When you lay those out objectively it's not pretty for the 22s.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
While I like the looks, Cannot justify that money ! Also after 10 years of swapping tires winter and summer..( been there and done that...) just tired of dealing with it.
As I get older I'm less worried about pushing the limits of anything anymore and just want a sharp looking vehicle that is the least hassle and expense with a little bit of fun and wow factor..... The one coming should do it !

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
While I like the looks, Cannot justify that money ! Also after 10 years of swapping tires winter and summer..( been there and done that...) just tired of dealing with it.
As I get older I'm less worried about pushing the limits of anything anymore and just want a sharp looking vehicle that is the least hassle and expense with a little bit of fun and wow factor..... The one coming should do it !
+1. 1 'm in the same boat. Feel the same way you do, except that I continue to change wheels and tires by season while I am still can:)

Reactions: slojotaa

·
Registered
158 Posts
I want to weigh in on the fact that I have 22" summers on my <300 mile new F-Pace. I love the handling (when temps are above 45 degrees which hasn't been often. Summary:

1. love the look
2. Ride isn't bad at all as people say
3. Wouldn't have them in the snow and ice (common sense not cut out for this)
4. Selling these and a pair of brand new Pirelli winter tires backordered and to arrive soon.
5. Going to Continental D's all season
6. Don't want the hassle of back and forth changing either
7. Car looks awesome with the 22's, and my previous F-Pace had 20's and road nicely also...not much difference at all "if any that is noticeable".
8. Again, off with the summers <300 Miles, selling the winters brand new not in yet (long story), and going to Continental D's and calling it a finish....

If I was to go off roading, or racing, or whatever under extreme conditions....just maybe I would sing a different tune...., but I am not.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My dealer has three F-Paces lined up in a row in the front of the showroom. Coincidentally (or not), they are lined up with 22", 20", and 19" wheels. Took a pic intending to post it but the vehicles are not close enough together to really be able to see.
Anyway, gotta say that for me the 19" wheeled car looks best to me and as crabman points out they should be more performant for you. Since you are already leaning toward 20" or 22" wheels, rough road and no road performance may not be a consideration and you can go for looks only.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My dealer has three F-Paces lined up in a row in the front of the showroom. Coincidentally (or not), they are lined up with 22", 20", and 19" wheels. Took a pic intending to post it but the vehicles are not close enough together to really be able to see.
Anyway, gotta say that for me the 19" wheeled car looks best to me and as crabman points out they should be more performant for you. Since you are already leaning toward 20" or 22" wheels, rough road and no road performance may not be a consideration and you can go for looks only.
Now I'm just second guessing myself. I had kind of decided I'd go with the 20s. 22s seem a bit much. Do you think there's that much difference in performance between the 19s and 20s. It seems like it may be a good compromise between performance and looks.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Now I'm just second guessing myself. I had kind of decided I'd go with the 20s. 22s seem a bit much. Do you think there's that much difference in performance between the 19s and 20s. It seems like it may be a good compromise between performance and looks.
Well, just guessing here: the difference is all of a half inch in the sidewall height. So the actual difference in ride quality and handling will be small. The 19s are cheaper to buy and I may also admit to that being attractive to me, if anyone asks...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts