Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting a new thread here, so people don't need to wade through my initial reaction, which is posted here: http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/f-pace-owners-registry-check-area/13170-two-days-160-miles-my-s.html

Ok. I am now about 350 miles in (about 2 weeks), and have an update:

1) The shifting, when in dynamic mode isn't as smooth/refined as I'd hoped for. The is especially true when accelerating from a stop I am not talking about racing here, but just normal driving. I am only in the standard 'drive' mode, not "S" (sport). I think the transmission mapping could be refined to adjust this... or perhaps a symptom of further break-in needed...

2) Related to above, but also when in "S" and dynamic mode, I experienced an odd shift during brisk acceleration (think it might have been between 3rd and 4th gear). This may be related to break-in, so I won't fret about this until I get closer to 1,500 to 2k miles. Again, might be a symptom of break-in.

3) Brakes- they are quite 'grippy', but aren't smooth when decelerating especially the last 20-30 ft before a full stop. I am normally VERY smooth from deceleration to complete stop, but this Jag wants to 'grip' the brakes, even when I am applying very consistent brake force on pedal. Almost like a 'ratchet' that moves one 'click' more than I direct it to. This may be another break-in symptom?

4) Air conditioning. This is something that could be a problem and will need service: The air conditioner works, but on occasion I can feel humid air coming out of the vents for a while, and while the air is cooler than outside air, it's clear that the humidity isn't being pulled out correctly. Something definitely not related to burn-in here, and is unacceptable in this current state.

5) The more I drive it, the more impressed I am with handling on sharp curves, roundabouts and offramps. A car this big, and this high off ground has no business being this tight and fun to drive.

6) Stereo still not burned-in, but while better than the 2013 Jag XF with Premium Meridian system, it's a BIG step down from the Harmon Kardon system I heard in the Q7 when I took it for a test drive. Maybe some magic is going to happen with these speakers when full break-in is achieved, but as of now, I am skeptical that this system will reach the performance level of the B&W system I had in the 2010 XF.

7) ICTP - yes, same issues here, as others have reported. Becomes unresponsive, and on occasion Sirius XM goes down, and will not come back up unless I turn car off and restart.

8) In Eco mode, the transmission is smooth as butter, and ride comfort is terrific (I have mine at 43 lbs, usually with 1 or 2 passengers, on my 22" Dbl Helix). But, there is definitely much more body roll when in that mode (vs dynamic), so I only use it when others are in the car, or if I know I just want to be comfy and chill on my trip.

9) The Jaguar downward projection light that shines on ground when you unlock car is pretty cool (in dark).

10) Stereo- it's better than 2013 XF, so I guess I can live with it. Verdict is incomplete.

Thus far, YES I am happy with the car vs my 2013 XF. It's a completely new model, and so I expected there would be a few wrinkles. The ICTP should get rectified with software updates. No biggie. The trannie mapping in dynamic and dynamic/sport mode is of biggest concern to me at the moment, because if it's not a break-in issue, then it's something that could indicate a tranny problem or something that needs another look with the trannie mapping to that mode.

I'll check back in when I have some more observations...

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I've noticed the Air Conditioning issue, but I typically only notice it when in Eco Mode or while at a stop and Auto Stop kicks in because I forgot to turn it off. I attribute it to the car adjusting the air to attempt to conserve power while in those modes. I haven't seen it yet in normal mode or Dynamic and with Auto Start/Stop off. I'll have to keep a closer look out for that. I know some people here have has this issue and did have Jag replace some compressor part on the car. You might want to search for that thread and see if the symptoms are the same.

I'm found the same with the modes, Eco is the most comfortable but I typically only use it on the highway or a less curvy road and I also typically keep the trans in Sport when doing it so it keeps some sporty character. I find I drive around mostly in Normal and Sport when I have other in the car, normal and drive is fine, but the car seems to slow off the line for me using Drive. However, I do typically shift to Drive when on the highway to get better mileage. Dynamic and Sport is really aggressive with the shifting and it holds the gears much longer and doesn't downshift on the highway, so I typically only use those two setups when I'm in a mood to really drive agressively.

·
Registered
473 Posts
From my experience, it doesn't seem like an AC issue. It happens with the Auto Stop, which actually turns off the AC. If you disable the Auto Stop, you'll notice that it doesn't get humid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I confirmed the AC issue this afternoon. With the auto start/stop off, and in normal and dynamic modes, the fan speed stays the same while the air conditioning itself cycles off > on. So, this problem persists regardless of driving mode or auto start/stop engaged or not.

One other item I forgot to add to my 'list' is the auto start/stop is a little rough. When the car shuts off at a stop light, the car wants to lurch forward. Start up from this mode isn't a problem. It's as if the transmission hasn't properly disengaged before the engine shuts off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did search under the A/C topic, and it appears this service bulletin is related to this issue: Technical bulletin JTB003820NAS3. It apparently shows a fix for the AC system. The clutch assembly on the compressor stops working intermittently, which is consistent with the pattern I've experienced with A/C.

Reactions: ZipSilver

·
Registered
473 Posts
I don't know if that's true with everyone. Mine works flawlessly when Auto Stop is turned off.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I confirmed the AC issue this afternoon. With the auto start/stop off, and in normal and dynamic modes, the fan speed stays the same while the air conditioning itself cycles off > on. So, this problem persists regardless of driving mode or auto start/stop engaged or not.

One other item I forgot to add to my 'list' is the auto start/stop is a little rough. When the car shuts off at a stop light, the car wants to lurch forward. Start up from this mode isn't a problem. It's as if the transmission hasn't properly disengaged before the engine shuts off.
Figured it was just the only time I really noticed it clearly was when it was in power saving mode. Yes I 100% agree Auto Start/Stop in pretty much all vehicles I've driven with it, is a bit rough. I don't like it at all. Today I came to a stop at a stop sign, was stopped just long enough for it to shut off just as I was needing to go and it hesitated long enough that I had to hit the brakes and let a car go by because they had gotten to close while I was looking to get the car to go. I was in eco and drive when it happened so I was already down on acceleration. This is why I turn the thing off every time, as long as I remember.

I'd really like to have those Jag Tech Tools to be able to turn the thing off completely.

·
Super Moderator
1,865 Posts
I had the same issue with my AC and had it fixed based on the technical bulletin as mentioned above. If you care to see my thread

AC System and Humidity

I feel the same way about the brakes. When coming to a stop I to be very careful as I decelerate otherwise it is very jerky. I think part of it is due to the shift patterns. See this thread.

Transmission Downshifting

Although the OP refers to break in I don't think that most of the problems are related to it. I have 1,200 miles on mine and most of what you speak about should have already broken in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update:

The brakes appear to have settled-in, and aren't nearly as intermittently 'grabby' as they were. It took 500 miles to achieve a state that I can live with.

I have my car scheduled to drop off at the dealer Wed night. They mentioned that there are "Separate updates to the individual modules" that should take care of the ICTP and Air Conditioning issue. Will report back as soon as they fix.

Stereo: Things have a long way to go. DTS is most spacious sounding, but it's not the most tonally correct. Thus far, not impressed at all with the Meridian system.

Reactions: VZX-CO and hv2gmbl

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noticed another quirk today when cooled seats are used. If the car is in auto start/stop, as soon as the car stops the cooled seats stop. This isn't the problem. The problem is that when the car starts again, the seats remain off, which requires the driver to fiddle with the controls to reengage. Yet another reason why auto start/stop blows.

Reactions: 3rdsCharm

·
Registered
154 Posts
Does a "speaker" actually need to be "broken in"? I've never heard of that...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in agreement with most of your thoughts. The tranny, the owners manual is horrible at explaining the differences in modes. The stereo speakers are junk. Just junk. I can't turn most songs up more than half before there are vibrations everywhere. And we as owners shouldn't have to replace them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. A little over 2 weeks and a little over 300 miles.

Haven't noticed anything with AC yet, in fairness though I rarely use AC preferring to just have the windows down.

I traded in a RR Evoque with the 825W sound system in it and it was absolutely stunning in the Evoque. I am disappointed with it in the F Pace though. It's not nearly as crisp sounding, it's not as loud, and the channels seem to be muted at higher volumes. I suspect it's largely speaker and sub placement. The RR had the front tweeters on the doors as opposed to in the dash, all door speakers were mounted a lot higher in RR and the doors were no concave like the F Pace. The center channel speaker was bigger in the RR too. This isn't to say this sound system sucks. It's just obviously capable of being better. I also feel like the bandwidth crossovers might be a bit different in this car.

Brakes are a bit grippy still, but they do feel like they are breaking in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A few more niggles here:

1) When I drove home from the dealer, on occasion, I smelled oil burning, and thought it might be the car in front of me. It wasn't. I have continued to smell oil burning occasionally, and have dismissed as a new car that maybe had some oil spilled on the engine during prep. Problem is, the smell is still there and occurs about 15-20 mins after the car is in operation. I don't see any obvious leaks in engine compartment or on my garage floor. Maybe related to item #2 below.

2) My wife noticed this just a couple days ago- the REAR vents were blowing HOT air, even though the air conditioning is on. Aside form the issue I'll be taking my car in for on Wednesday (air conditioning cycles on/off, blowing humid air into cabin), this warm air is independent from the air conditioning cycle issue being 'on' or 'off'.

3) Couldn't Jaguar pop for a little nicer wiper blades? These are absolute junk. Even junkier than the wiper blades in my 2013 XF, which were an embarrassment to even pout on a car like this. Come on guys, this is a nearly $70k vehicle- pop the extra $10 and put a set of quality wiper blades on the car, OK?

4) Installed a 2 TB USB HD with my music library on it, and the ICTP doesn't recognize the files on it. While I do have some hi-rez PCM files on the hard drive, most are .wav files and fiels that are supposed to be supported by the ICTP system. I'm hopeful that the ICTP module update I get on Wednesday will fix this.

5) DTS and ProLogic are the settings that appear to give the best sound, but still not happy with what this system is producing- I have to crank the treble up almost to the maximum in order to get decent highs, and yes, my hearing is excellent- I just had a full workup a few weeks ago.... I am less confident that this system will get me into the ballpark of what my 2010 XF with B&W system did.

Still love driving this car, though, and hope that some of these nagging issues get resolved on Thursday, so I can take a road trip to the U.P. this weekend..

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
#3 I noticed the blades at dealer today, completely agree, the wiper look like they'll fall apart in winter conditions and a little worried about being able to put winter blades on there

#4 what file system is USB? Chance ICTP can't read that large a drive. Just guessing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm with VZX-CO on #4. Try a standard USB memory stick and see what happens.

·
Registered
90 Posts
#3 I noticed the blades at dealer today, completely agree, the wiper look like they'll fall apart in winter conditions and a little worried about being able to put winter blades on there
Yep. These things look like they'll cake up in the first ice storm. These will be replaced before winter, after giving it a couple of months for the better wiper companies (Bosch, etc.) get the FPace specs and identify an appropriate model.

Anybody got any favorite winter-grade wipers?

Same with Weathertech's floor mats. Looks like they're close to having something available. I'm not going to put slush and winter road grime into this carpeting if I can avoid it.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Hey, here's a tidbit of information that affects those of you who live in snow/ice areas as well as those who detail their cars....

In order to lift the wiper blades off the windshield, the service position is obtained by turning the car on, then off while holding the wiper stalk down then turning the car on again.

You are unable to turn the car off while the wipers are in the service position.

Clearly this car was not designed with snow/ice in mind, if you don't have the heated windshield.

Also sucks for washing, because I like to leave my wipers up the whole wash. Now, I don't want to wash with the car on so I have to do that area after.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts