Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my wife a 2017 FPace for her 50th in August, JLR has agreed to buy the car back, which is supposed to occur on Friday. To summarize, car spent 43 Days in shop for various things, most notably the mystery creak under the steering wheel. All known actions were taken and then the body shop option was taken that involved some sheet metal work or something. This created another problem which caused a popping and sticking feeling in gas pedal, that’s when I said enough. We also had some bad popping in the roof in right rear, they pulled headliner out and then it resurfaced much worse above driver head. JLR was really good about it, they initially offered a trade but then said they would just buyback and refund everything paid thus far. Now my dilemma....my wife picked this car out of all luxury competing SUV’s, you name it and she drove it. We went and drove all the same ones again this weekend, this time 2018 models of course, X5, Q7, etc. She has now decided that she chose the F Pace for a reason, she liked it better than the rest. I am gun shy about another one and feel like I should take the gift of the buyback and run, but it’s her decision as well. How much better have the 18’s been for you owners? We are disappointed to see that the packages aren’t the same as it relates to the V6 Prestige 35t we have, she tried out the 4 cylinder and no way she is dropping back to it after having the 6. Her car was a $58k car, probably need to stay close to that to keep things simple with JLR. Any words of wisdom?

·
Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
We took the trade on our replacement, it should be coming in soon. I hope we made the right choice.

In my opinion, you should take the buback gift and get out. I fear what will transpire if our new car has the same issues as our current one (going from 17 to 18).

Yes, there’s not really anything like the F Pace out there, but there are definitely better cars - more reliable, better fit and finish.

FWIW, a scab around the forum shows most people with ‘18s continue to experience the same technological issues as everyone else, but less reports on fit and finish issues overall.

·
Super Moderator
1,546 Posts
Also, I realize Jaguar has sold a lot of these cars, but I cannot for the life of me remember a manufacturer who has bought back or replaced such a high percentage of cars. We are a small minority on the forum, but I have to assume it’s happening outside of the forum as well. Proportionally, it does seem like quite a few cars.

That tells me something. It tells me that maybe they know what’s up. Maybe they know they rushed it to launch and it’s still cheaper to buyback or replace than get legal involved and see bad PR.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with your points JWreck. I asked the service manager at local dealer a question in person on Saturday, he and I have gotten to know each other obviously. I asked his opinion on the number of F paces for MY18 that were coming in for issues. I also told him there was no reason to sugarcoat it since my buyback was almost done, so he would probably never see me again, he said there are still some telematic(his term) issues that are coming in, but nothing else like what I was seeing with my 17. Today is a holiday, kids are out of school, we are going shopping again, gotta make a decision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My dealer did what was essentially a buy back on my 17 model last summer - a refund was never on the table so I had to take an 18 as a replacement. I would have rather taken the money, and I suggest you do the same. BUT - my 18 has been a lot better from a quality perspective and the ICTP issues are getting close to being sorted. If my 17 was 50% of what the car should have been, my 18 is over 90%. I am quite happy with the car now although am looking to move it on for other reasons.

If I was looking for a similar SUV to replace it, I would look at the AMG GLCs or an Audi SQ5 or a lightly used Macan. Difficult to match the value at the price point of the FPace that you have though. The latest BMW X3 is probably worth a look too but my last BMW had quality issues too and JLR are much more attentive to owners than BMW...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a MY18 model S going on one month / 675 miles. No complaints yet and no issues :: knock on wood:: except that I can't get incontrol apps to work with my Google pixel. I don't have the 17C upgrade tho.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also have a MY18, and mine is at 5,600 miles on the nose (I've had it 7 months). I have had a few issues with the "telematics", but mostly it boils down to me being more knowledgeable about the F-Pace (thanks to this forum!) than my service department.

I haven't had any mechanical issues other than a rattling in the boot (which ended up being something to do with the spare tire not being bolted in there correctly....not actually a mechanical defect), and am very happy with fit/finish.

In my opinion, there is nothing out there that compares with the looks of the F-Pace, the engine performance, and the interior cargo space.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I too have had my MY18 for about six months and at 10500 miles and the only thing I’ve taken it in for is ICTP quirks and now my only lingering issue is related to the telematics and Remote functions. No creaks, rattles, or unexplained noises.
I would suggest looking at the Velar as reports are that is similar enough to the F-Pace but much better interior quality if you want to stay away from another F-Pace, but I do not think it will match up with your price point if you are trying to stay under $60K.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sounds like you've had a terrible experience; what a shame. I've been lucky -- I got one of the very first F-Paces produced for the US (delivered in May 2016), and have had no meaningful issues in 22k miles. The only time it's been in the shop was for the 1 year service, where they did do a bunch of warranty items, but fortunately none of them had been evident to me.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
While I have an 18 and we are mostly happy with it... it still has some of those 2017 ICTP quirks that at least, my dealer is not very enthusiastic to address. Also it has been back to the dealer twice for CEL issues and 2 out of 2 times it was returned to me with either a related or unrelated warning/error light still illuminated.... How's that for good confidence building?

If I had the problems you had and they were willing to give me my money back, I personally would take that money, run to the nearest Lexus Dealer and buy an RX 350/450 F Sport and have a Happy Wife, Happy Life. All the uniqueness and pizzazz of this vehicle diminish quickly when you have problems with things that the vast majority of its competitors put behind them many years ago.... A 2nd choice which may or may not be for her, is a loaded JGC Summit. Other than a few 1st year recalls, mine has been superior....

We are going to keep it and love it, but if it serves up a bunch more CEL's and the like, it's life with us will be shortened. More and more in my book, dependability and no problems are ranking higher and higher in ANY future vehicle purchases, than looks or uniqueness....JMHO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has been bad, but in JLR defense, they really have bent over backwards to make this right. For that, we are still considering an 18. The rep has told me to find the one we want with comparable package to what we have and that he would work it out. It sounds like we could get a new one for the same money, even though Msrp is thousands more.

·
F Pace Expert
2,607 Posts
Sounds like you've had a terrible experience; what a shame. I've been lucky -- I got one of the very first F-Paces produced for the US (delivered in May 2016), and have had no meaningful issues in 22k miles. The only time it's been in the shop was for the 1 year service, where they did do a bunch of warranty items, but fortunately none of them had been evident to me.
Similar positive F-Pace experience here, I’ve had some issues but all solved through warranty work and luckily no big creaking issues. I’ve been very happy with my 2017 S.

I disagree with JW’s assessment. To me there have been very few unsolvable/tradeout/refund situations as I’d assume this forum would (and has) draw those dissatisfied owners to share their stories. From memory I’d say there have been less than 10 or so reported on here. This is out of over 35,000 units sold in North America.

You got a bad vehicle plain and simple. If it was me I’d go with a nice new 2018 with a full and detailed PDI - and ICTP/telematics updated - and maybe a day or two of shakedown driving before you accept it completely.

Your wife is right, it is a great vehicle, don’t let the clustering illusion (I had this experience therefore there must be a ton of bad cars out there) disssuade you from trying again.

If not, best wishes on the new make of vehicle and go search info forums online for the brands you are considering to see if there are similar situations to what you experienced with Jaguar.

·
F Pace Expert
2,607 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
It has been bad, but in JLR defense, they really have bent over backwards to make this right. For that, we are still considering an 18. The rep has told me to find the one we want with comparable package to what we have and that he would work it out. It sounds like we could get a new one for the same money, even though Msrp is thousands more.
My dealer replaced my ~$63k sticker 2017 FPace S with a ~$70k sticker 2018 and even allowed me to add a couple of modest options. If you really like the car, stick with it. Maybe see what extra you can get! The 2018 really is a lot better.

·
Registered
622 Posts
If I had the problems you had and they were willing to give me my money back, I personally would take that money, run to the nearest Lexus Dealer and buy an RX 350/450 F Sport and have a Happy Wife, Happy Life. All the uniqueness and pizzazz of this vehicle diminish quickly when you have problems with things that the vast majority of its competitors put behind them many years ago....
I do agree strongly with this statement. I purchased mine with a substantial down payment, no lease here and my plan was to hang on to the vehicle for a long time. Super jazzed with the vehicle at first. With all the issues and return visits to the dealership; time without the vehicle because of service (lack of knowledge and parts approval from JLR), it's kind of lost the bedazzle for me. I like to say I'm having a love/hate relationship with the brand. Almost two years into ownership and JLR still can't rolled out a working ICTP software package:mad:.

I'd take the money and run, for me I'd look at the Audi Q7 or the Porsche.:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had a 2018 S for 2 months/1500 miles now with very few issues. The only things I've experienced are (1) the SIM wouldn't activate (really an AT&T issue) — resolved and (2) a tiny creak occasionally in the dash which I'll get looked at at some point — it's pretty minor and I'm pretty picky.

When I compare this to the 2013 BMW X5 35i I just sold, it's no comparison. The BMW had (1) a rear hatch that rattled no matter how many times they fixed it, (2) the front drive shaft shattered, (2) the water pump went out, (3) the intelligent battery sensor went out, (4) the dipping passenger mirror would stick in down mode, (5) the bluetooth connection to my iPhone would randomly stop working, and (6) the whole suspension felt like it was falling apart (lots of loose, rattling noises).

So, in my opinion the 2018 F-Pace S is a HUGE improvement vs. my BMW and is far more fun to drive.

·
Registered
255 Posts
VZX-CO refers to about 10 stories of buybacks on this forum. Note that there is a UK based forum too, and the owners there describe "rejecting" some of these vehicles after purchase. Apparently they have different consumer protection laws, or contract law works differently there

Almost 5 months and 7k miles on my 2018 Prestige 25t with no major problems. I got the lower older tech ICT though, instead of the much spiffier ICTP. Only get a creaking noise when twisting the body over very uneven surface. Clearly not a vehicle for serious off road driving. Am annoyed that the emergency keyhole cover has blown off the car twice from just water jets in carwash. That's stupid. See images below.

Not sure what you can do about picking an engine though. Either buy an S, or try the new 30t, which should start arriving about now.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
If I were you I would also be a little gun shy about going with another F-Pace. I purchased my MY17 "S" in February of 2017(build was November 2016) and other than an initial hood alignment issue I have not had any other problems. I love everything about my F-Pace and I am really happy I made the purchase. Something to keep in mind is that every car manufacturer has their problems. I looked at the Macan before I purchased the F-Pace and their forums also had posts with the same type of experience as you. I think some of it is when people have issues with their cars they start looking on the internet for others with the same experience and forums such as this may have reports of problems that don't represent the overall population of F-Pace owners that have problems. JMHO. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I love the uniqueness of the fpace. Still go for weeks without seeing another one

Have had minor issues. All addressed easily by my dealer
Have I C T. Because of voice command
Plan on trading for new model when ICTP has voice

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Everyone already knows HOW MUCH we LOVE our F-PACE !!!:D

Maybe we our one of the *Fortunate Ones* ,
or maybe we just aren't as critical , concerning issues , as others are !!!
Ours have been extremely minor , or at least in our eyes they have been !!!

My honest opinion would be to say ,
*Let the Dealer offer you a More Expensive 2018 "S" Model , at no extra cost to you , and see where the chips fall* !!!
If it ends up NOT satisfying you & your wife , then so be it , and onto a different manufacturer !!!

On the other hand , you both may *Fall In Love* with the F-PACE , all over again !!!;)

To me , it's worth a shot !!!
Especially since your wife *picked this car , out of all Luxury competing SUV's* !!!0:)

Btw , she has *GREAT TASTE* !!!>:)

1 - 20 of 83 Posts