7Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cat Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,168
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Home Stereo Help

I love my music and it needs to sound good. Hubby and I met at the Car stereo shop I worked at.

A few years back I repaired the foam edge on my 12" Cerwin Vega's and shortly after that the right channel on my home receiver went out Yes it's old (so am I) but I like my old school stuff. After looking into fixing it /finding a used one I have come to the conclusion that it is probably time for me to step into 2018/2019 and upgrade to something a little more relevant

You should probably know, me and technology are not friends. Up until last June my cell was an iPhone 3Gs that I bought back in 2010 and I was ok with that (it still works BTW).
So the receiver I need to replace is a Pioneer VSX-3800. I use it for audio on movies, playing CD's and vinyl (yes, I have been playing Vinyl all along before all you hipsters decided it was cool), and the occasional cassette tape and while I still own a few 8 tracks I do not use it for that So I would like it to play nice with the other components if possible. My kids tell me it needs to play digital music as well so either bluetooth or audio cables?


So lets hear suggestions from all you other audiophiles who are more hip with the times than I am

" Never mistake her silence for weakness. Remember that sometimes the air stills,
before the onset of a hurricane." - Her Silence ~ Nikita Gill


2018 F-PACE S "Carina" Corris Grey
2017 35t R-Sport "Quorra" Ammonite Grey Jet interior Light Oyster Stitch - Rendered Total Loss Derezzed ~ 8/16/2017 Odometer 9,548 gone too soon

Other Vehicles
2004 Jaguar VDP
1976 Jaguar XJ6L
Etc.
Etc.
Etc
Cat Lady is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 254
No suggestions on an actual unit but a budget point helps give people who do have suggestions more of a direction.

2017 S
strohw is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cat Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,168
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
No suggestions on an actual unit but a budget point helps give people who do have suggestions more of a direction.
it's my music, so there is no budget. Depending on suggestions it's just may take a little longer to get it. You can not put a price on my tunes
That one lasted almost 30 years and this is an item that over time is worth it
Dakar09 likes this.

" Never mistake her silence for weakness. Remember that sometimes the air stills,
before the onset of a hurricane." - Her Silence ~ Nikita Gill


2018 F-PACE S "Carina" Corris Grey
2017 35t R-Sport "Quorra" Ammonite Grey Jet interior Light Oyster Stitch - Rendered Total Loss Derezzed ~ 8/16/2017 Odometer 9,548 gone too soon

Other Vehicles
2004 Jaguar VDP
1976 Jaguar XJ6L
Etc.
Etc.
Etc
Cat Lady is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
theweeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Carolina Beach
City/State/Province: North Carolina
Posts: 2,498
Garage
Not knowing your price point, just a personal experience. I have been more than happy with my earlier version of this:

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...3_u/index.html

I am certain that the newest models are even better. It has all the things you are looking for. Multiple HDMI inputs, 4K output, multiple audio inputs plus wifi streaming, Air Play (allows you to play music in multiple rooms without wires) and supports Apple's iDrop if you want to use it instead of blue tooth.

As mentioned above, not knowing your price point makes my recommendation likely moot, but when I shopped around for a multi-channel AV receiver this is where I landed based on my finances at the time. The unit is setup in my "man cave" - - actually a home theater room - - with surround sound using Polk Audio speakers. The up-sampling of HDMI is amazing, even though I do not have a 4K TV this makes even standard DVDs look like they are in higher definition. Hulu and Netflix and Prime, all streaming, are as clear and crisp as if there were a wire.

Again, others will chime in with systems that cost upwards of a grand, and may piddle on my choice, but for the features and sound in the area of $300-$400 (don't look at the MSRP in the link) I found this one suited me the best.

EDIT: The bigger cost were the speakers, I dropped around $1,200 on those, but well worth it.
Cat Lady likes this.

2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

1968 Corvette Convertible

Last edited by theweeb; 11-29-2018 at 01:06 PM.
theweeb is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM
Senior Member
 
deafsoundguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Portland Oregon sometimes called Priusville
Posts: 619
Well, when you say "8 track" it makes me want to cringe or at least have an acid flashback of my 67 Impala with Muntz 8 track player... who can forget those days...


It sounds like you abhor new technology and only want to learn it when you want to. If you can post on this forum and the pics you have posted, I'm sure you are way smarter than you think you are and could step up to the plate for anything you truly want to upgrade to. So, the question is quality level and capabilities, as well as "Do I need to find my &*%^# glasses to see the micro labeled buttons?" That's one of my biggest peeves is having to get my glasses on to see if I've pressed the CD input switch or just launched a missile.


So, you should ask yourself if you want a true receiver which is in most peoples' minds something that does everything. It is the PREAMP as well as the POWER AMP. It is two things in one, with a lot of inputs for today's devices. The newest receivers have even more inputs for everything including HDMI for coming off your cool new TV and everything else. The biggest drag about a receiver is that there's a million buttons and routing and on the back is like a minefield in inputs and outputs. You have to be pretty good at understanding what you're doing and have nimble digits to actually get to the speaker terminals.



Then there's "separates". You have a "preamp" which is the first stage of amplification for everything and gives you the special eq you need for your turntable (RIAA phono preamp equalization). It probably won't have as many inputs, and is designed more for audiophiles that aren't trying to plug in a million things into their audio setup. It's usually made for music and maybe one theatre type setup. It's a standalone device meant to then plug into your "Power amp".


Your power amp is then just that, no special goodies and way more room to get your fingers on in's and out's on the back plate. If something goes wrong with just the power amp, you can get a new one pretty easy or something used but good for dirt cheap, while your preamp stays in your setup untouched while you get your good/or more powerful perhaps power amp fixed. The bad is that separates usually cost more, but worth it. If your trying to stay cheap and more simple, you can find used older preamps on eBay for cheap and they won't have a billion different inputs and buttons which you're probably not going to need.


If you want to stay with a "receiver", one thing does all, I can tell you from tons of experience that Denon really is the best stuff out there for the money and lasts longer than other brands. Yamaha makes good stuff too but they cheap out on consumer stuff. From decades of audio experience, Denon CD players hold up longer than any other hands down. I have bought a LOT of cd players. Denons are the only ones standing decades later.



The bad with Denon is they like to print their font sizes on their buttons for people who have the vision of electron tunneling microscopes. Even with glasses on I have to really squint to read those #&^% buttons. Pi$$es me off.


You also need to address if you want all the channels for theatre type audio dispersion. 5.1, 7.1, center channel sound, all that. If you want to play movies thru your home stereo then you probably won't be able to do separates and have to have a "receiver". It will decode the movies and place speech into the "center channel speaker" and music and blasting gunfire into the left and right. The other channels can go to the back rear speakers if you install some, and so you can hear aliens slithering up from behind you. The .1 designation stands for the subwoofer channel if you have a subwoofer. I highly recommend Paradigm speakers for any home music/theatre applications from tons of testing and listening evaluations.


Hope this helps.
Dai Uy Ted and cbrehman like this.

2017 Odyssey Red S, black blade, black pack
2007 Black XK
2016 BMW i3 that has to sit outside.....
deafsoundguy is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
 
MKenM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: N.J. USA
Posts: 2,553
To just understand further, the pieces you are using for the most part have RCA plug outputs, correct?

Do you use the amp for your TV sound?

Mike
MKenM is online now  
post #7 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Cat Lady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,168
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsoundguy View Post
Well, when you say "8 track" it makes me want to cringe or at least have an acid flashback of my 67 Impala with Muntz 8 track player... who can forget those days...


It sounds like you abhor new technology and only want to learn it when you want to. If you can post on this forum and the pics you have posted, I'm sure you are way smarter than you think you are and could step up to the plate for anything you truly want to upgrade to. So, the question is quality level and capabilities, as well as "Do I need to find my &*%^# glasses to see the micro labeled buttons?" That's one of my biggest peeves is having to get my glasses on to see if I've pressed the CD input switch or just launched a missile.


So, you should ask yourself if you want a true receiver which is in most peoples' minds something that does everything. It is the PREAMP as well as the POWER AMP. It is two things in one, with a lot of inputs for today's devices. The newest receivers have even more inputs for everything including HDMI for coming off your cool new TV and everything else. The biggest drag about a receiver is that there's a million buttons and routing and on the back is like a minefield in inputs and outputs. You have to be pretty good at understanding what you're doing and have nimble digits to actually get to the speaker terminals.



Then there's "separates". You have a "preamp" which is the first stage of amplification for everything and gives you the special eq you need for your turntable (RIAA phono preamp equalization). It probably won't have as many inputs, and is designed more for audiophiles that aren't trying to plug in a million things into their audio setup. It's usually made for music and maybe one theatre type setup. It's a standalone device meant to then plug into your "Power amp".


Your power amp is then just that, no special goodies and way more room to get your fingers on in's and out's on the back plate. If something goes wrong with just the power amp, you can get a new one pretty easy or something used but good for dirt cheap, while your preamp stays in your setup untouched while you get your good/or more powerful perhaps power amp fixed. The bad is that separates usually cost more, but worth it. If your trying to stay cheap and more simple, you can find used older preamps on eBay for cheap and they won't have a billion different inputs and buttons which you're probably not going to need.


If you want to stay with a "receiver", one thing does all, I can tell you from tons of experience that Denon really is the best stuff out there for the money and lasts longer than other brands. Yamaha makes good stuff too but they cheap out on consumer stuff. From decades of audio experience, Denon CD players hold up longer than any other hands down. I have bought a LOT of cd players. Denons are the only ones standing decades later.



The bad with Denon is they like to print their font sizes on their buttons for people who have the vision of electron tunneling microscopes. Even with glasses on I have to really squint to read those #&^% buttons. Pi$$es me off.


You also need to address if you want all the channels for theatre type audio dispersion. 5.1, 7.1, center channel sound, all that. If you want to play movies thru your home stereo then you probably won't be able to do separates and have to have a "receiver". It will decode the movies and place speech into the "center channel speaker" and music and blasting gunfire into the left and right. The other channels can go to the back rear speakers if you install some, and so you can hear aliens slithering up from behind you. The .1 designation stands for the subwoofer channel if you have a subwoofer. I highly recommend Paradigm speakers for any home music/theatre applications from tons of testing and listening evaluations.


Hope this helps.
It's like you are living in my head I will say that I don't like change so while yes, I can learn new tech if I want it bad enough I don't like to. I usually take all the new tech give it to the kids and tell them to figure it out and then teach me how to use it (my cameras being the only exceptions).
Funny you should mention my "cool new TV" as I just got my first digital TV last February when mine quit working after I had emergency surgery and was supposed to be lying in bed recovering.
Will look into the Denon line and the Yamaha including the one @theweeb suggested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKenM View Post
To just understand further, the pieces you are using for the most part have RCA plug outputs, correct?

Do you use the amp for your TV sound?
Correct, all the other pieces currently have RCA inputs.
If I am watching that TV then yes it is currently setup to use amp with stereo for sound but if my kids use it they just use built in tv speakers

" Never mistake her silence for weakness. Remember that sometimes the air stills,
before the onset of a hurricane." - Her Silence ~ Nikita Gill


2018 F-PACE S "Carina" Corris Grey
2017 35t R-Sport "Quorra" Ammonite Grey Jet interior Light Oyster Stitch - Rendered Total Loss Derezzed ~ 8/16/2017 Odometer 9,548 gone too soon

Other Vehicles
2004 Jaguar VDP
1976 Jaguar XJ6L
Etc.
Etc.
Etc
Cat Lady is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 11-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
DPinTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: USA
City/State/Province: Frisco, TX
Posts: 1,818
Garage
I used to be a big stereo geek... not so much anymore. Well since you like great audio, I have a like new Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX reference sysrem. If you were in the stero business then I’m sure you are familiar with this system. It weights a lot I think 65lb and has solid copper bus bar and base plates, will this work for you? I was gonna make a home THX theater room however never did.

The current version would be the Pioneer Elite SC-LX901

Or you could look at the Anthem MRX 1120 that’s one of the best systems out there right now based on my research.

What speakers do you use?

What’s your view on interconnect cable?

DP

2019 Silicon Silver with Light Oyster / Jet interior, 22" Double Helix Wheels, AS Tires, Technology Pack, Luxury Pack, Comfort & Convenience Pack, Driver Assist Pack, HUD, WiFi Connect pack, Loadspace luggage rails. Does anyone read these signatures?

Replaced 2017 Ingot R-Sport @ 12864 mi

A forum post should be long enough to cover the subject yet short enough to generate interest.

I have been told by a forum member that I’m a “Wealth of Knowledge” just know I can’t spell for shirt.
DPinTX is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2018, 12:06 AM
Member
 
NVA_FPACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Posts: 219
As a former Pioneer Elite owner, I don't think you can go wrong with a more recent Pioneer product. As a owner of a Anthem power amp, I also like @DPinTX mention of Anthem as an alternative, but it's quite a step up in price from most Pioneer receivers. I currently have a Denon, and it's highly configurable and sounds great. This one seems a great buy for the price, and it has (MM) phono inputs, which not all the newer receivers have.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hom...vers/avrx2500h

Good luck in your search.
DPinTX likes this.

2017 F-Pace S, Quartzite, ICTP, Llumar PPF, Double Helix 22s w/ Pirelli P-Zeros
NVA_FPACE is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Dai Uy Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: United States
City/State/Province: Titusville/Florida
Posts: 366
Garage
Another Denon user here, with Infinity speakers, for my ageing Panasonic 65" plasma 3D setup. Sony 3D dvd player and Netflix & Prime via Roku.

- Ted
2017 Italian Racing Red R Sport 35t, black trim, 20" black wheels, red & black interior, HUD, Feynlab ceramic coating
& 2005 Bronze 50th Anniversary Edition Ford Thunderbird, customized & modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dai Uy Ted is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome