2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Just signed up..looking for opinions/advice

Been car shopping for about 6 months. Basically I’m in the class of the macan, sq5, f-pace etc.

The macan turbo and jaguar f-pace s have risen to the top of my list. Been having difficulty deciding from here.

I’m comparing a 2017 f-pace s. CPO with 17k miles. In service date of October 2016. So I’d get until 10/22 for a warranty. Hard to imagine I’d rack up 100k miles by then. So a good 3.5 years of coverage.

The macan turbo is a 2015 35k miles and also CPO. That has me covered for 2 years only.

I feel like these comparisons are best to death but I’m trying to look from every angle. I’ve driven both, loved both. Each have strengths and weaknesses. I like the idea of a newer jaguar, more rare, more cargo space. The Porsche is clearly a step above the jaguar..but I’m getting an older car with more miles and less warranty coverage. And it’s safe to say maintenance and repair bills would be higher in a Porsche ?

Anybody shop these 2 and have any advice ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 02:43 PM

The Macan likely tops the FPace in performance and fit and fitness, but otherwise it's whack. Plus it was refreshed this year. Although the refresh was mild, it will further date the 2015 model you're looking at. It's an ugly car. The only Porsche SUV I would consider is the Cayenne Coupe, although it's a step up in price from the Macan.
post #3 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for the input. Looks are obviously subjective. I wouldn’t have the macan on my radar if I thought it was ugly. The BMW X3 m40i was a top contender for awhile. But I just don’t like the plain boxy shape..a lot of people love that suv. And for the money, I see 2019’s selling for low $50k. I was just never a bimmer fan..the engine is phenomenal though, I have to admit that. When I test drove it I was smiling ear to ear. But I always wait a few days after a test drive. Not sure how long that straight line speed fun would last.

The jaguar (comparably) was a bit rougher ride but the supercharger gives you more of that useable speed/power. The jag also handled much better than the bmw in my opinion and overall was just more fun to drive. If I bought the bmw today I prob wouldn’t be disappointed..but again, just too many of those boxy type SUVs on the road.

post #4 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
Thank you for the input. Looks are obviously subjective. I wouldn’t have the macan on my radar if I thought it was ugly. The BMW X3 m40i was a top contender for awhile. But I just don’t like the plain boxy shape..a lot of people love that suv. And for the money, I see 2019’s selling for low $50k. I was just never a bimmer fan..the engine is phenomenal though, I have to admit that. When I test drove it I was smiling ear to ear. But I always wait a few days after a test drive. Not sure how long that straight line speed fun would last.

The jaguar (comparably) was a bit rougher ride but the supercharger gives you more of that useable speed/power. The jag also handled much better than the bmw in my opinion and overall was just more fun to drive. If I bought the bmw today I prob wouldn’t be disappointed..but again, just too many of those boxy type SUVs on the road.
I agree with you, Carmen, on the boxy SUVs. I'm getting a new car in a few months and I'm going through a similar analysis that I'll likely post about soon. I'm not a Macan fan at all (as documented in prior threads), but most on here aren't as harsh about it as I am. So consider me an outlier on this one. Ultimately, go with your gut and don't look back!
post #5 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:

Iím comparing a 2017 f-pace s. CPO with 17k miles. In service date of October 2016. So Iíd get until 10/22 for a warranty. Hard to imagine Iíd rack up 100k miles by then. So a good 3.5 years of coverage.
Did they specify a 100k mile warranty? Original warranty was 5 yr/60k miles

" Never mistake her silence for weakness. Remember that sometimes the air stills,
before the onset of a hurricane." - Her Silence ~ Nikita Gill

2018 F-PACE S "Carina" Corris Grey
2017 35t R-Sport "Quorra" Ammonite Grey Jet interior Light Oyster Stitch - Rendered Total Loss Derezzed ~ 8/16/2017 Odometer 9,548 gone too soon

Other Vehicles
2004 Jaguar VDP
1976 Jaguar XJ6L
Etc.
Etc.
Etc
post #6 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Jaguar CPO is 6 years or 100k miles (which ever comes first) from the in-service date of the vehicle. This particular car (2017 model year) has an in service date of October 2016. So Iíd get 6 years from then. 10/2022.
post #7 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I could/should prob stretch and get a 2018 to give me one more full year of warranty. But these jaguar f-pace s are kinda rare near me. Iíd be more comfortable actually going and seeing/driving the vehicle as opposed to having it shipped. Iím open to doing that, but with all the posts of creaks and squeaking I doubt thatís gonna happen.
post #8 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
What scares me is that when I first drove the f-pace I went inside and I asked what is/isnít covered under the CPO warranty. The gentleman said..everything besides squeaks and rattles. Thatís kind of a giveaway right? After that he said everything thatís wear and tear isnít covered. But just the fact that he mentioned squeaks and rattles right away suggests that itís a pretty significant issue.
post #9 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 09:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
What scares me is that when I first drove the f-pace I went inside and I asked what is/isnít covered under the CPO warranty. The gentleman said..everything besides squeaks and rattles. Thatís kind of a giveaway right? After that he said everything thatís wear and tear isnít covered. But just the fact that he mentioned squeaks and rattles right away suggests that itís a pretty significant issue.
you can read a lot here about squeaks and rattles as those were originally covered under the warranty and it was just recently that they changed it to first 12 months so that is why he specified.

" Never mistake her silence for weakness. Remember that sometimes the air stills,
before the onset of a hurricane." - Her Silence ~ Nikita Gill

2018 F-PACE S "Carina" Corris Grey
2017 35t R-Sport "Quorra" Ammonite Grey Jet interior Light Oyster Stitch - Rendered Total Loss Derezzed ~ 8/16/2017 Odometer 9,548 gone too soon

Other Vehicles
2004 Jaguar VDP
1976 Jaguar XJ6L
Etc.
Etc.
Etc
post #10 of 30 Old 04-06-2019, 10:13 PM

Garage
I think they are both great cars, but you're talking to F-Pace Owners, so we all made the decision towards the F-Pace at one point. I did the similar compare earlier on the Macan and while I like the back end, I'm not a fan of the front, and the size is what took it out of my options. The Cayenne is bigger, but in my subjective opinion, uglier as well. So I went with the F-Pace in 2016 and I just did the same thing again in 2019. I'm an F-Pace fan, so my opinion would lean towards the F-Pace up front, but with that warrantee it would be a hands down decision for me even if I wasn't a fan. Fixing both of these cars will be expensive, but I can tell you the Porsche will be more so, and you have less of a warrantee with that option.

2019 Ultra Blue F-Pace SVR in the house : 2017 Caesium Blue F-Pace FE - traded on SVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2018 BMW 440i xDrive MSport Convertible (wife's): 2016 BMW 428i xDrive Convertible traded on 440i MSport | 2014 Honda Pilot - traded on F-Pace FE | 2013 Honda Accord Coupe - Went to middle son | 2012 Audi Q7 (Wife's) - Traded on Pilot | 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport - oldest son Totaled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2004 Acura MDX (Wife's) went to second oldest son | 2002 Acura TL Type S - after market Supercharged - traded on Infiniti

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page