3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
How much to negotiate off a pre-owned vehicle ?

Iím always curious how much I should try to get the dealer to come down off the price of a CPO car. In this case itís a 2017 jaguar f-pace s.

Hereís what Iím thinking..price is $50k. Do I approach it by saying a certain Ďout the doorí price?

My other thought is to give them asking price but tell them to pay for shipping the vehicle, the extra year of CPO ($1245) and I want the activity key/bracelet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 09:56 PM

City/State/Province: DC
they probably bought that car for $40-42k, maybe a little less depending on options, and paid maybe 1-2k getting it cleaned up/prepped for CPO, and want to turn some profit for their time and building lease etc. If possible it would be helpful to know how long it's been on their lot. if it just got there, maybe they're less flexible. if it's been there all winter, different story, they probably want to make it move. You could also wait until closer to the end of the month when people need to meet their quotas, you'll have a bit more pull then. Though you do run the risk of someone else grabbing it if there's a lot of interest.

I'd say if sticker is 50k and you're sure this is your car,
1) don't show them that it's exactly what you're looking for
2) try and get some hard quotes from other dealers for similar cars, even if they're 1000 miles away. flights can be pretty cheap, and having a quote in hand for a nearly identical car (better if it has an extra option or two that you don't need but can "sacrifice" to take this car off their hands now) can go a long ways
and 3) schedule a time to see it and negotiate close to the end of the month.
It helps that you're near the start of the 2020 model year, though not quite as much as if you were buying a 2019, still some.

Last edited by NixMo; 04-13-2019 at 09:59 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NixMo View Post
they probably bought that car for $40-42k, maybe a little less depending on options, and paid maybe 1-2k getting it cleaned up/prepped for CPO, and want to turn some profit for their time and building lease etc. If possible it would be helpful to know how long it's been on their lot. if it just got there, maybe they're less flexible. if it's been there all winter, different story, they probably want to make it move. You could also wait until closer to the end of the month when people need to meet their quotas, you'll have a bit more pull then. Though you do run the risk of someone else grabbing it if there's a lot of interest.

I'd say if sticker is 50k and you're sure this is your car,
1) don't show them that it's exactly what you're looking for
2) try and get some hard quotes from other dealers for similar cars, even if they're 1000 miles away. flights can be pretty cheap, and having a quote in hand for a nearly identical car (better if it has an extra option or two that you don't need but can "sacrifice" to take this car off their hands now) can go a long ways
and 3) schedule a time to see it and negotiate close to the end of the month.
It helps that you're near the start of the 2020 model year, though not quite as much as if you were buying a 2019, still some.
Makes sense. Thank you.

Mostly everything Iím interested in hasnít been on the market long. With that being said, Iíll agree with you. They prob know itís a really popular car..and they donít have to make any dramatic price drops to sell it. But I can still try right? Lol.

Thatís why i asked if my 2nd option would be best. Try to get them to cover the extra warranty and activity key..along with shipping fee (less than $1000).

Good advice though. Iíll find 2-3 I really like and go hard and see who comes back with the best deal. Iím typically the type of person who shops for the best deal rather than ohhhh thatís the perfect car. If that makes sense.

post #4 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 PM

City/State/Province: Maryland
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
I’m typically the type of person who shops for the best deal rather than ohhhh that’s the perfect car. If that makes sense.
Actually , NO !!!
It doesn't make ONE OUNCE OF SENSE !!!

"I just bought this car , that I really really don't want . . . . . . . but I got a great deal" ???????

2017 F-PACE *S* Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD , Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2014 Ford Fusion
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

post #5 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRVR View Post
Actually , NO !!!
It doesn't make ONE OUNCE OF SENSE !!!

"I just bought this car , that I really really don't want . . . . . . . but I got a great deal" ???????
I guess what I should say is that..Iíll take my top 3, knowing that Iíll be happy with either. And Iíll let the decision be made by whichever I can get the best deal on.
GRVR likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 PM

Garage
The three items you want *Ext Warranty , Activity Key , & Shipping* ,
on the high-end total $2845 !
Your offer , as you stated , is $50K with those three items included !

Personally , I would go in there and offer them $42K for the car ,
and gradually go up to $45K if necessary !
You always want your original offer to be LOW , but within REASON !

If you reach an agreement within those numbers ,
then negotiate your extra items afterwards !

Since you know the extra items would cost no more than $2845 ,
then you will only be paying in between $44,845 - $47845 ,
instead of your $50K offer !!!

2017 F-PACE *S* Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD , Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
- 2014 Ford Fusion
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

post #7 of 14 Old 04-13-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRVR View Post
The three items you want *Ext Warranty , Activity Key , & Shipping* ,
on the high-end total $2845 !
Your offer , as you stated , is $50K with those three items included !

Personally , I would go in there and offer them $42K for the car ,
and gradually go up to $45K if necessary !
You always want your original offer to be LOW , but within REASON !

If you reach an agreement within those numbers ,
then negotiate your extra items afterwards !

Since you know the extra items would cost no more than $2845 ,
then you will only be paying in between $44,845 - $47845 ,
instead of your $50K offer !!!
Thatís good advice. Thank you.
GRVR likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-14-2019, 12:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen View Post
That’s good advice. Thank you.
Just remember , *wheeling & dealing* is just a GAME !
However , never forget that it is a game YOU are IN CONTROL of !
YOU can get up and walk out , at any point , for whatever reason you wish !

There is no need to get offended or angry during the GAME ,
just play your hand , and let them play their hand , and hopefully a mutual agreement will be made !

Their goal is to get the MO$T , and your goal is to pay the LEA$T !

- 2014 Ford Fusion

post #9 of 14 Old 04-14-2019, 08:59 AM

City/State/Province: Arlington VA
Garage
I've generally had better luck negotiating on new than CPO, just because they have a smaller pool of money to deal from on the CPO. There's no pot of dealer hold back, no regional marketing incentives, no factory incentives, etc. Add in that their acquisition cost might be higher (if they took it on a trade and had to offer more to get the new sale done), and margins can get thin for them quick.

Don't assume that the CPO and key will be easier for them to bargain away than the purchase price. They have hard acquisition costs on those, with some profit baked in. If they "give" them to you, they will need to account for them on their books, maybe in more than one department, with sales having to cut a check to parts.

Finally remember that your sales rep will get a commission out of what's left on the purchase price, and in the used car side they may hold that more dear as used car sales tends to be a lower volume business at a new car dealer.

Bottom line, if the car is just received in their inventory, they may not want to deal much at all. If it's been sitting awhile, see if they are offering an "e-price" discount on their website or through cars.com, which might be available direct through the sales manager (and cut out sales rep commission). That price can give you a sense of how much they're inflating the price.

I see no harm in coming in with a low offer, but if they reject it with great fanfare understand that the economics may in fact be different than a new build.

2018 F-Pace 30T Portfolio, caesium blue, sienna interior, ceramic pro 9H, blacked out chrome, other minor bells and whistles, fully functioning ICTP nav voice commands!
post #10 of 14 Old 04-14-2019, 09:45 AM

City/State/Province: North Carolina
Garage
If you are looking at my (former) 2017 S, it already has the activity key. Carmax?

2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

1968 Corvette Convertible

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page