Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

How To Plastic Dip Emblems

10K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Dakar09 
#1 ·
As you may or may not know I tried this a few days ago. Well it went about as good as a Well a protest march in Durham NC. A total disaster. So I took all your advice and feed back from my other post. I watched a few YouTube videos. ( like 12) and stayed at a Holliday Inn Express just in case.
So today I decided to give it another try.
I used the smoked color so it's like a dark grey

What I did
First tapes off the area
Used a plastic trash bag for overspay
Then first coat
Wait 15 min
Second coat
Wait 15 min
Third coat
Wait 15 min
Fourth coat
Wait 15 min
And a final coat
Removed overspray plastic
And tape
Wait 30 min
Then removed the plastic dip from around the F-PACE badge
Used a thooth pick for the small spaces.
Came out much better this time.

So here are the pic.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope you still have some extra adhesive tape , for the back of the emblems !!!

Because your *Leaper* is almost laying down going to sleep !!!:eek:

Checkout the photo you posted originally of the *Leaper* with the ruler beside it !!!

The way you have it now , the paws are almost even !!! But in your original photo with the ruler , and with all of our OEM *Leaper Emblems* , the front paw is about 2-1/2 CENTImeters HIGHER then the back paw !!!

The *Leaper* is supposed to be *Leaping* . . . . . . . . Not *Sleeping* !!!;)

BTW ,
in case you are wondering , I inform people of my observations , for YOUR benefit , not mine !!!0:)

#8 ·
You are not wrong. He was sleeping had a long week. I put a new one on today. I will add the pictures once it dries. I'm done with the 5 coats should be ready in about 30 min.

DP

Reactions: GRVR
#3 ·
As you may or may not know I tried this a few days ago. Well it went about as good as a Well a protest march in Durham NC. A total disaster. So I took all your advice and feed back from my other post. I watched a few YouTube videos. ( like 12) and stayed at a Holliday Inn Express just in case.
So today I decided to give it another try.
I used the smoked color so it's like a dark grey

What I did
First tapes off the area
Used a plastic trash bag for overspay
Then first coat
Wait 15 min
Second coat
Wait 15 min
Third coat
Wait 15 min
Fourth coat
Wait 15 min
And a final coat
Removed overspray plastic
And tape
Wait 30 min
Then removed the plastic dip from around the F-PACE badge
Used a thooth pick for the small spaces.
Came out much better this time.

So here are the pic.

Now you can add Custom Paint Job to your signature. And, do you really play chess? See somebody did read it.

BTW, did you rough it and prime it before starting painting?

#5 ·
BTW, did you rough it and prime it before starting painting?
No just spray on a dry clean sutface. That way in the future I can peal it off if need be.

DP

#6 ·
I am pretty sure if you apply a primer before you apply plasti-dip it makes it MUCH harder to remove it. Plasti-dip is able to be peeled away very easily, once you add primer it make it very difficult to remove... can still be done, but much tougher.

#9 ·
New pictures looks better now.
The noses is at 4cm down from the top body line. The tip of the tail is at 8cm

Thanks
DP

Attachments

Reactions: GRVR and MTGRL
#11 ·
*CONGRATULATIONS* !!! *GR* approves of the placement !!!>:)

The *Leaper* is once again *Leaping* !!!;)

#14 ·
The origin one was at about 2.5CM

I'll try to get a side by side for you

$106 from the dealer. They must have real silver on them

DP

Reactions: MTGRL
#16 ·
Nope :mad:

I'm gonna ask again when I'm at the dealer tomorrow

DP

#17 ·
Hey @DPinTX ... how is this stuff holding up? Any peeling?

#18 ·
So far it’s been holding up and looks good. No peeling or fading. I made sure I did a good prep with degreaser and some alcohol before applying. Maybe that helped or it’s just a good product.

DP

#19 ·
DPinTx

This looks great. Nice work and thanks for sharing the process.

I just got my boys to stop over and do mine back about 4 months ago. It's still holding up very well through 4 months and the winter weather we have been seeing. My leaper and Jag logo were already black, ordered that way on line, due to the J falling off on my original Jag lettering. I was going to go with dropping the Jaguar when I put on the leaper, but I struggled with the look on the blue. The leaper and Jaguar lettering just looked better on the blue to me. I think it has to do with the contrast though since I like your setup. The grey is light enough, so you have strong contrast to the black. Less so on my Casieum Blue.

We did 4 coats similar to what you did but I think their first coat was a little heavier. So if you guys follow this and get too much on with the first coat don't sweat it too much, it will still work. I was amazed as to how easy it was. just be diligent and slow in removing the dip around the lettering. As DP suggested having several toothpicks around to help peel around the lettering and between the letters like the A really helps.

Reactions: L-PACE and DPinTX
#26 ·
IS the "J" a Problem?

DPinTx

This looks great. Nice work and thanks for sharing the process.

I just got my boys to stop over and do mine back about 4 months ago. It's still holding up very well through 4 months and the winter weather we have been seeing. My leaper and Jag logo were already black, ordered that way on line, due to the J falling off on my original Jag lettering. I was going to go with dropping the Jaguar when I put on the leaper, but I struggled with the look on the blue. The leaper and Jaguar lettering just looked better on the blue to me. I think it has to do with the contrast though since I like your setup. The grey is light enough, so you have strong contrast to the black. Less so on my Casieum Blue.

We did 4 coats similar to what you did but I think their first coat was a little heavier. So if you guys follow this and get too much on with the first coat don't sweat it too much, it will still work. I was amazed as to how easy it was. just be diligent and slow in removing the dip around the lettering. As DP suggested having several toothpicks around to help peel around the lettering and between the letters like the A really helps.
Interesting. A couple of months after getting my 2013 XJ, I had just finished drying off the car after a wash, and as I was walking away I heard a very distinctive, yet soft, sound. The "J" fell from the trunk leaving me with "aguar". I may have done it incorrectly, but a few dabs of Super Glue has kept it in its place for a couple of years, now.

#21 ·
Just to pile on here ... I did some coloring and de-badging this last week. I had never done plasti-dip before, how did I miss out on this magical stuff before??? It was really easy with some prep; total process took about 2 1/2 hours. This includes 7 coats of the black and 2 coats of the glosser. Here a "during" picture... argh, how do I inline photos? Anyhow, at the end of this is the during photo, and a few "i'm done" photos.

Few things to note:

• I probably only needed 5 coats, but I didn't paint correctly the last few coats by way of not holding the can at an angle all around (I just sprayed straight ahead). This meant that the tops and bottoms and sides of all the emblems where less than covered. Lesson learned!

• As you can see in the during photo, it looked pretty bumpy. And the end product is definitely NOT a smooth paint job as you would get with real paint (I assume). But I actually really like it because it gives it a bit of depth.

• Nevermind how dirty the back end is. It rained and it's dusty and, well, I'm waiting to get this coated before I spend alot of time washing. Plus it's supposed to rain some more. But yes, I did clean the parts I sprayed really well.

Finally, the bottom picture shows some de-badging. Took the AWD and F-Pace off. I am contemplating taking the S off, but the more I look at it I like how it stands out a bit (with the Silver). Initially I wanted nothing silver on the car, but and rethinking that.

Attachments

Reactions: L-PACE and MTGRL
#23 ·
@ctammann That grill surround looks SICK! Did you have to tape off the interior of the grill & was that a complete PITA?

#24 ·
Honestly it wasn't too bad. I used paper towels and painters tape to cover the grill, then did the same for the paint. I was really happy with how it turned out, I've washed it a few times and just had it covered in salt from winter driving and it washed off fine with no damage. Best part is if you screw it up it's really easy to remove it and try again.

The trickiest part is when you peel off the painters tape. if it dries attached to the surface you are painting, when you try to pull it off sometimes it will catch and start to peel off of the surface you want black. That wasn't too much of a problem on the grill or side emblems, but on the jag letters and leaper it was a mild PITA. Had to redo the letters twice and the leaper once because it started to come up when I was trying to peel away the excess.

#25 ·
Color me inspired (pun most certainly intended)! I ordered supplies on Amazon this morning. I'm going with smoke, but also got a can of Red Lava Pearlizer. We'll see how brave I feel once it warms up enough to do it, or if I can't wait for that, I'll head over to my brother-in-law's heated shed/man cave.

Could be cool to have a slightly red pearly hint with the smoke, or it could be a complete disaster. Good thing you can peel this stuff of fairly easily.

#27 ·
Forgive me, if I'm missing something. Why not just remove the badging, paint it and re-apply to said vehicle. Would seem to be infinitely less work and much more satisfying for a result. De-badging is simple enough. A heat gun, some monofilament fishing line, some Goo Gone and a bit of patience. I de-badged the XJ's trunk in about an hour. Removed the "XJ" and the "3.0" leaving the Leaper and "JAGUAR" in the center of the trunk. That's to confuse anybody trying to decipher the car's year.

Just a thought!
Have fun!
KIng Fala

#30 ·
Forgive me, if I'm missing something. Why not just remove the badging, paint it and re-apply to said vehicle. Would seem to be infinitely less work and much more satisfying for a result. De-badging is simple enough. A heat gun, some monofilament fishing line, some Goo Gone and a bit of patience. I de-badged the XJ's trunk in about an hour. Removed the "XJ" and the "3.0" leaving the Leaper and "JAGUAR" in the center of the trunk. That's to confuse anybody trying to decipher the car's year.
Some of us want a few badges or emblems on the car. I took off a few "35t" and "AWD" from the tailgate, but wanted to keep the leaper, just not in chrome.

Also removing the grille surround and front fascia pieces requires complete removal of the entire from bumper cover. I know, I tried to do it. That is most certainly not easy for the average car owner.

Dipping is easy, reversible, and dare I say...fun!!

#29 ·
I've been doing the plastidip thing for a long time. If applied properly, it holds up very well over time. After a few years, it can be a bit difficult to "peel" off and take some motivation to remove (with goo-gone and non-abrasive pads. I "Smoked" my front Growler eblem and rear emblems and blacked out the front and side "vents" last summer, just like ctammann did. It is holding up very well over the winter. Keep in mind, the masking for the front grill and fascia pieces is relatively advanced masking and "peeling" of the overspray, so patience is key in those areas.

My tips:
1st coat VERY light
2nd coat still light
3rd coat "normal" spray
4th coat heavy
5th if needed (definitely for Black, but Smoke starts to turn into black at that point).

20 minutes minimum between coats, do not spray in high humidity or in direct sunlight.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.