76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wink Gas Tank Size

I have to confess the 1 thing I thought would not be a big deal has actually been really, really annoying which is the extremely small gas tank in the f-pace? Has anyone heard if the 2018 will have a bigger gas tank? The 15+ gallon gas tank is just too small. I do not mind going to the WaWa gas station to fill up now and then, but I feel like a frequent flier at the gas pump. Anybody else agree that a 20 gallon gas tank would have been the better move for Jaguar to go with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 01:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-FPACE View Post
I have to confess the 1 thing I thought would not be a big deal has actually been really, really annoying which is the extremely small gas tank in the f-pace? Has anyone heard if the 2018 will have a bigger gas tank? The 15+ gallon gas tank is just too small. I do not mind going to the WaWa gas station to fill up now and then, but I feel like a frequent flier at the gas pump. Anybody else agree that a 20 gallon gas tank would have been the better move for Jaguar to go with?
The petrol is 16.6 gallons. The diesel is 15.9 gallons. I would appreciate even a small bump. Even a 17.4 gallon tank (which is an industry standard for most cars... or so I thought) would do better than what it has now.
post #3 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I think my wife's GLE Mercedes has a 24 gallon gas tank, which makes me wonder why Jaguar went so small with the gas tank? I mean to really should not cost that much more to have the larger gas tank right? It would probably be impossible to do an aftermarket change to a larger gas tank? Any thoughts?

post #4 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
My F Pace replaced an Audi Q5 which went close to 500 miles on a tank. I feel your pain, especially now that winter is here. This tank is definitely too small.

2017 Sapphire Blue F-Pace R-Sport Technology Package ICTP
2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo
2015 Audi A5 Cabriolet Convertible (Wife's Car)
2012 BMW 650 Xi Convertible
post #5 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 09:13 AM
JMB

This has been my only serious complaint about the car. I came from an ML350 with a 25.1 gal. tank and well over 500 mile range to the 16 gal. tank and a 280 mile range. I am having a hard time adjusting especially since I have a fairly long commute each day. With any side trips I can't go a week. If you look at the area around the battery under the spare tire, there seems to be a lot of room. I am not suggesting putting a tank there but with some space reallocation they could have found a way to get another 5 gallons of capacity. I suspect they wanted to reduce weight for efficiency numbers.
post #6 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 09:17 AM

lol I went from a diesel Grand Cherokee Summit that averaged 25.61 MPG average (actual math at the pump at every fillup) and had a 25 gallon tank. I'm most def noticing the difference and not in a good way. The money doesn't bother me but I dislike the inconvenience of having to stop twice as often. As to the 18s, there is no change list or even well sourced rumors to bat about.
Kubota likes this.
post #7 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 AM

Garage
yes, this has been discussed multiple times, there are few threads out there about it. I think a 20 gallon tank would be good if they could fit it appropriately. What annoys me about this is that there is at least 4 to 6 gallons of room if not more behind the battery below the spare tire. if they repositioned the battery further back, you would think they may have been able to position a second tank ahead of the battery and behind the rear diff, but perhaps that would have been a risk area due to crashes. Either way, having a little more fuel would be nice.

By the way on my owners survey, it is something that I did vent about specifically. I'm sure they will listen to me! But I think the earliest we could see a change is in the next iteration of the base design which probably won't be till around the 2020 model year.
crabman and bnztoy like this.

2019 Ultra Blue F-Pace SVR in the house : 2017 Caesium Blue F-Pace FE - traded on SVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2018 BMW 440i xDrive MSport Convertible (wife's): 2016 BMW 428i xDrive Convertible traded on 440i MSport | 2014 Honda Pilot - traded on F-Pace FE | 2013 Honda Accord Coupe - Went to middle son | 2012 Audi Q7 (Wife's) - Traded on Pilot | 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport - oldest son Totaled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2004 Acura MDX (Wife's) went to second oldest son | 2002 Acura TL Type S - after market Supercharged - traded on Infiniti
post #8 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 10:47 AM

Garage
Im not sure it will take that long. If there are enough complains I could see Jaguar taking the two tanks from the diesel (one for the diesel fluid the other for diesel), combining them and moving it right over to the petrol version to make a larger gas tank. I dont have that long of a commute each day but I could imagine how annoying this small of a tank would be for those who do.
post #9 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
So has anybody heard of anyone actually changing out to a larger gas tank? I am actually considering the idea. I would save at least 30+ minutes a week by not having to stop and fill-up. Here in Pennsylvania I do enjoy going to Wawa just not having to go every week...I was used to more like once every 2 or maybe 3 weeks...I really never gave the small gas tank thing a second thought prior to purchasing.
post #10 of 116 Old 01-05-2017, 09:39 PM

City/State/Province: Maryland
Garage
Quote:
So has anybody heard of anyone actually changing out to a larger gas tank? I am actually considering the idea. I would save at least 30+ minutes a week by not having to stop and fill-up. Here in Pennsylvania I do enjoy going to Wawa just not having to go every week...I was used to more like once every 2 or maybe 3 weeks...I really never gave the small gas tank thing a second thought prior to purchasing.
I'm pretty sure you could KISS your "Warranty" GOODBYE , by swapping out a DANGEROUS Component , such as a Gas Tank !!! Just a thought !!!
VZX-CO likes this.

2017 F-PACE *S* Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD , Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
- 2014 Ford Fusion
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page