• 1 Post By ExOz
  • 1 Post By MeBuff8Fan
  • 1 Post By skyking
  • 1 Post By skyking

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-04-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Try this with AndroidAuto (and?) AppleCarplay

This is so obvious; can't believe I haven't thought of it before. Many of you have, I'm sure. For anyone as slow as I am, consider this:-

A good many posts have voiced a preference for the look and UI of the native ICTP map rendering. And yet, the benefits of Goolge maps and "OK Google" etc. (Google assistant) or Siri are numerous. Well I'm now using both together - sort of.

Since toggling between the native ICTP home screen and AA is easy, I run AA "in the background". ICTP lets me toggle to AA from the native ICTP windows (and back) with a touch. To navigate, I use Google maps on AA, with voice guidance. AA has better treatment of POIs, traffic, audio sources etc. even if the map looks a bit anemic.

When I then switch back to native ICTP, I can get the big ICTP map up and yet, the turn by turn instructions, traffic warnings etc. from Google maps continue to come through the audio. Although the route is NOT highlighted, I have a better, colorful full screen map. The visual difference and screen size is most notable when travelling east/west (west/east). Also better during longer trip segments when you want to just keep up with where you are and detailed turns are less frequent. A touch gets me back to Google maps, if I want that detail.

AND at any time, I can also invoke the really large-scale turn by turn map in the instrument cluster to see, in detail, what the voice guidance from Google maps is telling me is coming up. All the while, Google maps is still running.

Works with ICTP 18C and Android Auto. Presume it works similarly with Apple Carplay.

FWIW
Gorgon likes this.

Last edited by ExOz; 04-04-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExOz View Post
Presume it works similarly with Apple Carplay.
It does. I've done that many times. I use Waze to warn me of police activity but I prefer Google Maps or the ICTP map. I still get the Waze audio and a small drop down notification when something is coming up.
ExOz likes this.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S - British Racing Green
2012 Volkswagen Beetle - Silver
2010 Lexus RX-350 - Silver
post #3 of 9 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

City/State/Province: Oregon
Quote:
This is so obvious; can't believe I haven't thought of it before. Many of you have, I'm sure. For anyone as slow as I am, consider this:-

A good many posts have voiced a preference for the look and UI of the native ICTP map rendering. And yet, the benefits of Goolge maps and "OK Google" etc. (Google assistant) or Siri are numerous. Well I'm now using both together - sort of.

Since toggling between the native ICTP home screen and AA is easy, I run AA "in the background". ICTP lets me toggle to AA from the native ICTP windows (and back) with a touch. To navigate, I use Google maps on AA, with voice guidance. AA has better treatment of POIs, traffic, audio sources etc. even if the map looks a bit anemic.

When I then switch back to native ICTP, I can get the big ICTP map up and yet, the turn by turn instructions, traffic warnings etc. from Google maps continue to come through the audio. Although the route is NOT highlighted, I have a better, colorful full screen map. The visual difference and screen size is most notable when travelling east/west (west/east). Also better during longer trip segments when you want to just keep up with where you are and detailed turns are less frequent. A touch gets me back to Google maps, if I want that detail.

AND at any time, I can also invoke the really large-scale turn by turn map in the instrument cluster to see, in detail, what the voice guidance from Google maps is telling me is coming up. All the while, Google maps is still running.

Works with ICTP 18C and Android Auto. Presume it works similarly with Apple Carplay.

FWIW
Do you find that both systems reliably give you the same route? I've been doing the same thing you suggest here, but it gets annoying when the two systems calculate different routes. it doesn't happen often, but when it does......

2018 35t R Sport - Santorini - Black Pack - Heads up Dsiplay - I think a few other packs I can't remember the names of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrehman View Post
Do you find that both systems reliably give you the same route? I've been doing the same thing you suggest here, but it gets annoying when the two systems calculate different routes. it doesn't happen often, but when it does......
Have not really "recorded" enough reactions to give you an accurate response. In general, my gut says that Google gives me more alternatives and also dynamically/more readily updates those (based on traffic I assume) as I travel along a route.

Also worth mentioning, I've yet to use a nav system that I do NOT second-guess on many occasions. Overall, I really like the native ICTP nav. I was hoping someone would chime in about the "improved" ability to use POI's with ICTP 19A (mentioned in the specs), but so far, "silence has been the loud reply".
post #5 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrehman View Post
I thought you could only have an active route in one system if CarPlay or AA is running.
i.e. active route in Waze but monitor route on ICTP built in nav, so audio notifications are from Waze.

If I activate a route in ICTP to get the HUD and pop up turn displays in the instrument cluster, then try to put the same destination in one of the CarPlay nav apps, the CarPlay nav becomes primary and the built in ICTP nav no longer displays the active route.

Thatís what I would like. ICTP map and turn displays, with Waze verbal notifications. Iím able to do this as long as I run Waze without a route via Bluetooth only and donít plug in for CarPlay.
ctufieldops likes this.

Ordered 10/3/16 Built 11/4/16 Delivered 12/8/16
2017 F-Pace S: IRR/Brogue/Satin Ash Burl/Oyster HL/Pano w Roof Rails/20" Blades.
Packages: Comfort and Convenience, Luxury Interior, Driver Assistance, Technology.
Heads Up Display, Tow Hitch Receiver, Activity Key

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I thought you could only have an active route in one system if CarPlay or AA is running.
…………………………..
Confirm this is so for me also. Not suggesting both run at the same time. But I have checked the different routes at times, before I set out, for the very reason of making a comparison.

I do still find it helpful, when running Android Auto, to "switch on" the large scale map in the instrument cluster, as I follow the verbal Google commands. Not exactly turn by turn visual, or the HUD display, but I can see what Google is telling me is coming up.

Last edited by ExOz; Today at 06:32 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

Garage
I really like the HUD, instrument cluster, and right side of the ICTP screen turn depictions. I mute the audio turn instructions.

I give up the better routing and traffic routing in Waze and google maps, but still get the Waze notifications via Bluetooth (police, accidents, slowdowns, cars on the side of the road, etc.) that are invaluable.

My perfect combo would be Waze routing and notifications, Google Maps satellite display and ICTP integrated turn depictions, all controlled by Siri voice commands.

No matter what combo, it’s 1000% better than when I picked the F-Pace 2 years ago. It’s a good problem to have.
ExOz likes this.

Ordered 10/3/16 Built 11/4/16 Delivered 12/8/16
2017 F-Pace S: IRR/Brogue/Satin Ash Burl/Oyster HL/Pano w Roof Rails/20" Blades.
Packages: Comfort and Convenience, Luxury Interior, Driver Assistance, Technology.
Heads Up Display, Tow Hitch Receiver, Activity Key

post #8 of 9 Old Today, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post

No matter what combo, itís 1000% better than when I picked the F-Pace 2 years ago. Itís a good problem to have.
I'll second that. Sure has been worthwhile to persevere and a great example of the value of the continuous software update capability. JLR has made good on that promise in so many ways, particularly making improvements available for us old hands with early MY's.

Still holding out hope on some other tweeks I'd like to see. Continues to be a he11 of a ride!!!
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 02:47 PM

City/State/Province: Oregon
Quote:
Confirm this is so for me also. Not suggesting both run at the same time. But I have checked the different routes at times, before I set out, for the very reason of making a comparison.

I do still find it helpful, when running Android Auto, to "switch on" the large scale map in the instrument cluster, as I follow the verbal Google commands. Not exactly turn by turn visual, or the HUD display, but I can see what Google is telling me is coming up.
Gotcha. Yes, I also use the instrument cluster map with AA. Makes heads up display even more valuable in that config so I don't have to search for speed on the map config.

2018 35t R Sport - Santorini - Black Pack - Heads up Dsiplay - I think a few other packs I can't remember the names of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page