176Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #161 of 336 Old 10-23-2018, 11:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPinTX View Post
I have apple carplay installed and also have the HUD, I have test both Apple Maps and WAZE and they DO NOT show in the HUD

I also tested a route with both the factory and WAZE going. They were identical routes. Now I have a connected car with 4G so I get the real time traffic updates, so that might be the difference.

DP
Thanks @DPinTX . I figured that was the answer but was hoping they figured out how to get it integrated.

2017 F-Pace S Italian Racing Red/Jet Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 336 Old 10-24-2018, 04:10 AM

Garage
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...-android-auto/

Jaguar Land Rover finally adds Apple CarPlay, Android Auto support

Pre-2019 vehicles can receive the update, as well, but there are some limitations.

by Andrew Krok
October 23, 2018 9:16 AM PDT

Update, 4:09 p.m. Eastern: This story has been updated with more information about pre-2019 vehicles and their eligibility for this upgrade.

We've harped on several late-model Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles lately for lacking Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, two very good methods to reduce driver distraction. Thanks to a new update, we'll never have to rag on them again.

Jaguar Land Rover announced today that it's finally time to bring Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to its new vehicles. Both smartphone-mirroring systems will be part of an optional Smartphone Pack, which will cost about $300. It's standard on the 2019 I-Pace electric SUV, and optional on select 2019 model year vehicles, which will include all vehicles equipped with either JLR's InControl Touch Pro or Touch Pro Duo infotainment systems with navigation, InControl apps and Wi-Fi.

JLR also updated the InControl Touch Pro system for the 2019 model year in other ways. Select models can use now voice commands for navigation. The home screen underwent a visual refresh, and there are additional shortcut buttons on the home screen for reduced distraction.

There is some backward compatibility with pre-2019 vehicles, but it's a little complicated. To be eligible for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with a pre-2019 Jaguar or Land Rover vehicle, the car must have either of the infotainment systems mentioned above, with InControl apps and Wi-Fi. Additionally, pre-2019 vehicles must have the right kind of USB ports in order to be eligible for the upgrade, and only two of JLR's three center armrest panel designs have those USB ports. If you're confused, don't worry -- Jaguar Land Rover suggests calling your local dealer to determine upgrade eligibility. As for pricing, it's up to the dealer. Maybe your dealer will upgrade your car for free, or it might charge you a small fee for the labor alone, or it might charge you more. Again, calling ahead will clear all this up.

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are slowly becoming either standard or optional on a hefty majority of new cars available today, as they're an efficient way to bring a phone's features into the car without introducing additional distraction potential. Apple CarPlay used to be limited to Apple's own Maps app, but the introduction of the update finally lets it work with Google Maps and Waze, too.
VZX-CO, The Rock and mkauffm like this.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S - British Racing Green
2012 Volkswagen Beetle - Silver
2010 Lexus RX-350 - Silver
post #163 of 336 Old 10-24-2018, 08:52 AM
F Pace Expert

City/State/Province: Denver/Telluride
Regarding CarPlay and HUD: it is important to understand that both CarPlay and Auto are running inside your phone, not inside ICTP. ICTP screen, buttons, touch, etc are acting as output and input devices for CarPlay but, unlike ICTP itself, the brains of the operation are in the phone so CarPlay would not, and could not, provide the data to HUD to integrate Waze/Maps/etc with HUD. This is why you see terms like “smart phone mirroring” in the article above. ICTP is essentially mirroring the CarPlay app which is running on the phone.
Roadsterguy and Gorgon like this.

British Racing Green S with all the trimmings, Built 7/4/2016, delivered 8/22/16. Love it! BRG Grand Duke of Western Colorado Territories (minus Roaring Fork Valley) and Parts of Denver City
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #164 of 336 Old 10-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZX-CO View Post
Regarding CarPlay and HUD: it is important to understand that both CarPlay and Auto are running inside your phone, not inside ICTP. ICTP screen, buttons, touch, etc are acting as output and input devices for CarPlay but, unlike ICTP itself, the brains of the operation are in the phone so CarPlay would not, and could not, provide the data to HUD to integrate Waze/Maps/etc with HUD. This is why you see terms like “smart phone mirroring” in the article above. ICTP is essentially mirroring the CarPlay app which is running on the phone.
I wouldn't go so far as to say would not and could not. It all depends on what the development of the SDK look like in the future. The HUD is just another output device like the screen. If they ultimately want AA/CP to be the replacement for the in-dash experience then they are going to have to figure how to output to multiple devices not just mirror to the screen.

Not complaining and will be happy to get it.

post #165 of 336 Old 10-25-2018, 12:03 PM

Hi!
Makes no sense to limitate the Apple car play just for the ones with Wifi ! This explain why some has been succesful getting ACP/AA working and some not.

Beside I am very disappointed with that, thanks for the info!
post #166 of 336 Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM

City/State/Province: Massapequa, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBuff8Fan View Post
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/j...-android-auto/

Additionally, pre-2019 vehicles must have the right kind of USB ports in order to be eligible for the upgrade, and only two of JLR's three center armrest panel designs have those USB ports. If you're confused, don't worry -- Jaguar Land Rover suggests calling your local dealer to determine upgrade eligibility. As for pricing, it's up to the dealer. Maybe your dealer will upgrade your car for free, or it might charge you a small fee for the labor alone, or it might charge you more. Again, calling ahead will clear all this up.
Interesting they mention there are different kinds of USB ports? So not all vehicles can get this upgrade?
post #167 of 336 Old 10-25-2018, 07:35 PM

Garage
dropped off my F-Pace just a bit ago and will have it back tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to the update.

post #168 of 336 Old 10-25-2018, 08:06 PM
F Pace Expert

City/State/Province: Denver/Telluride
Joined the club today, 2 years 2 months after purchase I have the complete F-Pace I always wanted, worth waiting for. Have only used CarPlay for two hours or so but light years ahead of screwing around with ICTP. Siri control of things way better. Inbound and outbound texting a breeze. Management of media light years ahead. Apps, maps and more. For heck of it asked Siri when Ben Franklin was born and got a crisp, fast answer. PocketCast app now lets me keep my podcasts contents, up next list, played, etc. synched across phone, car, Sonos at home and between phone and Ipad.

18C also may have solved my glitchy USB connection. 7 hour drive tomorrow will tell more. Wasn’t charged for update or CarPlay. Thanks once again to the great folks at Stevinson for this top notch service. It is hard to express how freaking great this is.

PS: have seen a little bit of weird behavior in media related apps but need to experiment some more before commenting.

British Racing Green S with all the trimmings, Built 7/4/2016, delivered 8/22/16. Love it! BRG Grand Duke of Western Colorado Territories (minus Roaring Fork Valley) and Parts of Denver City
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VZX-CO; 10-25-2018 at 08:09 PM.
post #169 of 336 Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZX-CO View Post
Joined the club today, 2 years 2 months after purchase I have the complete F-Pace I always wanted, worth waiting for. Have only used CarPlay for two hours or so but light years ahead of screwing around with ICTP. Siri control of things way better. Inbound and outbound texting a breeze. Management of media light years ahead. Apps, maps and more. For heck of it asked Siri when Ben Franklin was born and got a crisp, fast answer. PocketCast app now lets me keep my podcasts contents, up next list, played, etc. synched across phone, car, Sonos at home and between phone and Ipad.

18C also may have solved my glitchy USB connection. 7 hour drive tomorrow will tell more. Wasn’t charged for update or CarPlay. Thanks once again to the great folks at Stevinson for this top notch service. It is hard to express how freaking great this is.

PS: have seen a little bit of weird behavior in media related apps but need to experiment some more before commenting.
Glad to hear you are enjoying it. Tom said we missed each other by 30 min 🙂
VZX-CO likes this.

post #170 of 336 Old 10-25-2018, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodolfo Vidal View Post
Hi!
Makes no sense to limitate the Apple car play just for the ones with Wifi ! This explain why some has been succesful getting ACP/AA working and some not.

Beside I am very disappointed with that, thanks for the info!
Not sure that explains it. AA/CP is only available to those with ICTP which was only available on Prestige models and higher for 2017 and 2018 models. If you ordered the Tech Package you got InControl WiFi included in the package so I don't believe that this is driving success or failure of enabling AA/CP. At least not for the F-Pace.

This is a little more confusing for 2019 models that all get the 10.2" screen and Prestige and higher trims now get InControl Apps, WiFi and Navigation Pro as standard. For Premium and lower trims Navigation Pro is one option and InControl Apps and WiFi is a second option. Would AA/CP require only the InControl Apps/WiFi option for these trims for also Navigation Pro? Would certainly check with a dealer to understand upgradeability on lower spec 2019 models.

2017 Ammonite F-Pace S
Technology, Driver Assistance and Convenience Packages
HUD and Tow Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page