• 1 Post By kconnor123
  • 1 Post By stbentoak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

City/State/Province: Altadena, CA
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Diesel engine cost to replace out of warranty

Got a story from my local service rep. An F-Pace diesel owner put in oil for the first time at 30K miles. And had an engine failure 3K miles later.
Jag denied warranty coverage, and the estimate to replace was over $39K USD. Yeah, that much.
Corporate requires virtually all components to be replaced when replacing an engine. Including fuel rails, injectors, water pump, etc etc etc.
The moral of the story is Don't Miss Maintenance Milestones. You will be screwed if something goes wrong later.
The good news is that this didn't happen to me. The bad news is that when an engine fails later in service life, the cost to replace will far exceed the value of the car.
NewToCats likes this.

2017 BRG 20d Prestige, 19" wheels, ICT, Adaptive Dynamics, aluminum trim, roof rails, and hitch. 889442 built 2017-02-05, delivered 2017-03-16.
1960 MGA 1600 roadster, white. Owned since 1975
1994 Dodge 2500HD Cummins diesel with 300,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-15-2019, 08:43 PM

City/State/Province: Southeastern Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLockhart View Post
Got a story from my local service rep. An F-Pace diesel owner put in oil for the first time at 30K miles. And had an engine failure 3K miles later.
Jag denied warranty coverage, and the estimate to replace was over $39K USD. Yeah, that much.
Corporate requires virtually all components to be replaced when replacing an engine. Including fuel rails, injectors, water pump, etc etc etc.
The moral of the story is Don't Miss Maintenance Milestones. You will be screwed if something goes wrong later.
The good news is that this didn't happen to me. The bad news is that when an engine fails later in service life, the cost to replace will far exceed the value of the car.

As an owner of many diesel's (mostly vw's before now) i will second that notion. They are crazy expensive to repair at the dealer. So i'm with lockhart....stay within the maintenance periods!

With that said, if my engine went in my FP 20d, and the service department gave me an estimate of 40k to replace the engine....I'd promptly walk and have another place do it with a wrecked car's block as a core. There is no reason you can't reuse the components that are good, especially on an engine above that had only 33k miles on it. They are warrantying the new engine at the dealer i assume which is why they basically want to stick a completely new engine in. I'd be fine with a secondary shop putting in a used block for about 10k without a warranty.

39k to replace an engine? Sheesh, they are starting to get into airplane caliber costs to rebuild an engine.
TLockhart likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 AM

City/State/Province: Oh
And that’s been the case at the dealerships for a long time - They don’t rebuild anything. They replace with new. It’s part of the reason why the value drops so rapidly, and a used Jag (or any luxury vehicle) can be found for a fraction of its original cost - No one can afford their outrageous repair costs. I remember when my very first Jag had a constant “Bulb Failure” warning. The Bulb Monitoring modules were mounted vertically in each corner of the car. After time, the solders would crack from vibration and the weight of the relay pulling down. Cost for the dealer to repair = $250 PER module. $1000 + labor to fix, since there was no way to know which was faulty. Cost to pull them out, crack them open, and re-float the solder = $0 parts, 4 hours on a rainy Saturday. It was nice when you could DIY w/ a little know how. Modern vehicles require a mechanic/Electonics field tech to really repair vs replace.

‘17 35T R Sport
‘17 20d
<<Good ‘ol days>>
‘88 XJ 40
‘90 VDP
‘94 XJS
‘01 X308
‘02 X-Type
‘05 X-Type
<<‘08-‘16 Lost Years
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>>

post #4 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLockhart View Post
Well here's the thing... they are kinda both right. If your engine goes for any reason that is not covered, If JLR is going to fix it and warranty it, then they ARE going to want every thing new. It just makes sense. On High Pressure Common rail fuel injection systems, if you crack the lines open or replace injectors etc, These fittings cannot be reused or retightened. They are very fussy about this for them to seal and hold pressure in the extreme pressures they operate at... This ain't your old diesel farm tractor... No where close any more....

If you DID find an indy shop to tackle this, I think you would have a heck of a time sourcing an engine for it, and then by the time they REALLY figured out what it took to replace it, including maybe having to go back and buy parts form the Dealer/Factory to finish the job, (Including mandatorily replacing the fuel rail....) you would be way north of 10K to finally get it replaced and likely... NO WARRANTY.

But here's the positive if you do things right.

1st of all, Change the oil TWICE as often as the 20K they allow for in the free maintenance. It is proven that this oil can run 10K + with no loss of protection qualities, but 20K is pushing it if you want to keep the vehicle longer than warranty. ONLY use JLR dealer supplied/approved Castrol. and JLR filter. it isn't that much, especially if you do it yourself and its easy!

2nd, Change the Fuel Filter every 20K Max. It is the #1 protector of a VERY expensive fuel system, and it is key to keeping the system protected. Fuel Contamination is a huge enemy to diesel injector problems and the filter is the only line between you and big dollar repairs...

If you follow these rules, there is a high probability the Diesel will serve you with a long life and dependability. I believe this engine is one of JLR's strong suits in the era of other issues including ICTP etc... It is honestly one of my least worried about things about this vehicle.

The only thing that can bring it down is the emissions side of the system, and whether there will be DPF plugging/DEF injection issues down the road. These issues are common across all light diesel lines/makers trying to comply with stringent EPA requirements. It will all depend on how robustly the JLR system has been designed.

Diesels are expensive toys, but if handled properly they can reward you with very long life, Lower maintenance costs overall, and economy, long life, and dependability that can't be matched. I have actually toyed with the Idea of buying a 2nd 20D to replace my JGC EcoD if FCA doesn't offer one in 2020. It's just too hard to give up that range, torque, and mileage. There is NO doubt that fuel will be 4.00 + down the road. We are only one world crisis away from that, and they are brewing at any given minute with Iran and the Middle east.. I don't mind paying that if I'm getting 35-40 MPG on it vs 16-20 on Premium @ + .60 cents a gal.. My opinion only...
bpmba and NewToCats like this.

2018 Fuji White 20D R-Sport,20" Black Wheels, Black roof rails, Jet & Oyster seats, Black Pack, Convenience Pack, Lux Pack, Tech Pack, Activity Key...
All Diesel Fleet here !
Other vehicles:
2014 Jeep GC Summit 3.0 CRD
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins No CAT or SCR. Last year for it.

2005 Infiniti FX 45 Only Gasser I got.. Fast and Solid....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by stbentoak; 05-16-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 04:18 PM

City/State/Province: Southeastern Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbentoak View Post

If you DID find an indy shop to tackle this, I think you would have a heck of a time sourcing an engine for it, and then by the time they REALLY figured out what it took to replace it, including maybe having to go back and buy parts form the Dealer/Factory to finish the job, (Including mandatorily replacing the fuel rail....) you would be way north of 10K to finally get it replaced and likely... NO WARRANTY.

You have a good point here. I am used to independent shops that specialized in audi and vw. I guess i never thought through how difficult it would be to find one of those that specialized in just Jag. But for less than 40k, i bet i could find something.
TLockhart likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-16-2019, 10:14 PM

City/State/Province: Maryland
Garage
Sorta Kinda OFF-TOPIC ,
back in 1998 , VR & I tried our hand at Hauling RV Trailers ,
from the Factories in Elkhart, IN , to dealers ALL over the U.S. and Canada !!!

We drove over 125,000 miles in only 9-months , in our Ford F-350 Crew Cab Dually Truck ,
which had the 7.3-ltr POWERSTROKE Diesel Engine !!!

We were changing the Oil & Filter every 2-3 Weeks , or roughly 10K-miles !!!
And that engine held 15-Quarts of Oil !!!

Like @stbentoak , the guy who changed the Oil ALWAYS said ,
"If you take care of your engine , your engine will take care of you !!!

We delivered trailers into *38* States , and into Canada 4-times !!!

If it sounds interesting to anyone , the only thing I will say is ,
it's NOT the greatest job , if you're actually looking to MAKE money !!!
That's why we only did it for 9-months !!!

2017 F-PACE *S* Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD , Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
- 2014 Ford Fusion
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

Last edited by GRVR; 05-17-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-17-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRVR View Post
Sorta Kinda OFF-TOPIC ,
back in 1998 , VR & I tried our hand at Hauling RV Trailers ,
from the Factories in Elkhart, IN , to dealers ALL over the U.S. and Canada !!!
I actually live in Elkhart! We are flooded with RV's now that need drivers to deliver them. I thought about it too, but only for a brief minute ! The job just does not pay enough to make it viable really.. and you need a Tough A$$ truck that you will rap a lot of miles on!

RV's are a wild industry, nothing else can hit higher highs, and then go so dead that they can lay off 25,000 people in a matter of a month. Its boom or bust in this town.

Glad I'm retired and don't have to deal with it !
GRVR likes this.

2018 Fuji White 20D R-Sport,20" Black Wheels, Black roof rails, Jet & Oyster seats, Black Pack, Convenience Pack, Lux Pack, Tech Pack, Activity Key...
All Diesel Fleet here !
Other vehicles:
2014 Jeep GC Summit 3.0 CRD
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins No CAT or SCR. Last year for it.

2005 Infiniti FX 45 Only Gasser I got.. Fast and Solid....
post #8 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

City/State/Province: Altadena, CA
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbentoak View Post
Well here's the thing... they are kinda both right...
All true.
There was a report some time ago about a warranty replacement of a diesel which had the (surprisingly) high price of $29k or so (itemized in the paperwork but not charged to the owner).
There is a $10k discrepancy here. Hopefully not because Jag is larding up non-warranty repairs and going light on warranty work. Of course the engine failures could have had a different nature I suppose...

2017 BRG 20d Prestige, 19" wheels, ICT, Adaptive Dynamics, aluminum trim, roof rails, and hitch. 889442 built 2017-02-05, delivered 2017-03-16.
1960 MGA 1600 roadster, white. Owned since 1975
1994 Dodge 2500HD Cummins diesel with 300,000 miles.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page