12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Tread wear

Greetings F-Pacers,

I'm considering a 36 month lease on a Prestige model. Can any current owners please provide feedback on tire wear? Dealer mention 15 to 20 thousand miles out of the factory rubber with 480 tread wear rating.
Not a deal breaker, but I really don't want to buy tires on a lease.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 PM
DPK

Not too many high mileage tires here yet..

However, if you have a 480 tread wear rating (UTGQ), That is an extremely good wear rating...and your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about.

For instance:
100 UTQG = 10,000 - 20,000 miles of wear
200 UTQG = 20,000 - 30,000 miles of wear
300UTQG = 30,000 - 40,000 miles...

400+UTQG = 40,000 to 50,000 miles...
etc.

Mine are also 480 UTQG..which means I should expect about 48000 miles of use out of them...to me, that is plenty good life from a tire.
GRVR and MTHM like this.

2017 F-Pace 35t-Prestige (The Silver Bullet)

2012 XF 5.0L BRG (The Green Hornet)

Last edited by DPK; 03-10-2017 at 10:22 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thank you!

post #4 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 11:29 PM

480 is a great rating but I would be happy to see 25-30k out of the in reality before they are chopped, noisy, and just plain no fun to drive. It is like putting premium gas in the car - do not buy the car if you are going to gripe of all the little expenses.
Trek, VZX-CO, baherrick and 1 others like this.

There's a time to think, and a time to act. And this, gentlemen, is no time to think.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed_FP View Post
480 is a great rating but I would be happy to see 25-30k out of the in reality before they are chopped, noisy, and just plain no fun to drive. It is like putting premium gas in the car - do not buy the car if you are going to gripe of all the little expenses.

Not to mention the fact that factory issue tires are usually the worst wearing, least expensive thing the factory can put on. If you get half of what they SAY they will run, consider yourself lucky !

On Order: 2018 Fuji White 20D R-Sport,20" Black Wheels, Black roof rails, Jet & Oyster seats, BlackPack, Convenience Pack, Lux Pack, Tech Pack, Activity Key... Del'y est. 6-2-2018

Other vehicles:
2014 Jeep GC Summit 3.0 CRD
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins No CAT or SCR. Last year for it.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-11-2017, 12:37 PM
DPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbentoak View Post
Not to mention the fact that factory issue tires are usually the worst wearing, least expensive thing the factory can put on. If you get half of what they SAY they will run, consider yourself lucky !
BUT...That is NOT the case with these CONTINENTALS we have.

2017 F-Pace 35t-Prestige (The Silver Bullet)

2012 XF 5.0L BRG (The Green Hornet)
post #7 of 18 Old 03-12-2017, 06:00 AM

20 inch wheels

Below are the specs for the all season, OEM 20 inch tire from the Tire Rack Site. These tires were specifically designed for the F Pace. They are certainly not junk as some OEM tires can be, the price alone should tell you that there a much less expensive alternatives when the time comes to replace them if you want to go that route.

In the 5 months that I had the OEM tires on after taking delivery of the vehicle and prior to switching to my winter tires, I was quite pleased with them on all counts, handing, noise, traction. In a few weeks they will be back on the vehicle as I switch over near the end of March.

These tires are top specs for traction and heat dispersion. A W speed rating is described on the Tire Rack site, as useable for exotic sports cars but with an XL rating to be used on a SUV, Crossover or Light Truck.

The mileage rating of 240 likely will give you about 25,000 miles to 30,000 miles of use. For a high speed rated tire with top traction and heat dispersion that is not to shabby. The problem with wear ratings is apparently they are determined by the tire manufacturer and not independently tested. Most articles on the subject will tell you that the mileage rating is a good indicator between tires of the same brand but not reliable as a measure between brands.

Every tire is a compromise between a number of factors, traction, noise, ride comfort, mileage, speed rating to a name a few. Generally as you go up in speed rating and traction you get a softer stickier compound that wears more.

W speed ratings are rare so when and if it comes times to replace my tires (I may not have too since I only drive about 8,000 to 10 thousand miles per year and about 4 months on winter tires and trade every 4 to 5 years) , I will likely drop down to a V rating which will give me much more choice, less expensive and more mileage, although mileage for me is not a significant factor for replacement tires because I will likely be close to trading in the vehicle. A W tire is designed to drive at sustained speeds of up to 168 mph while a V tire is designed to go at 149 mph. I have no plans to race or drive at sustained speeds approaching 149 let alone 168. My winter tires are Pirelli V rated and I am sure I have never approached their performance limit.

BTW, I like this vehicle so much that if Jaguar offers an extended warranty I might consider holding on to it longer that my usual 4 to 5 years so replacement tire mileage may become a more important factor.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric AT SUV-4X4
Street/Sport Truck All-Season
Not Yet Rated | Reviews (6)

Details & Pricing
Size: 255/50R20
J Jaguar
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Load Range: XL

Serv. Desc: 109W

UTQG: 240 AA A

Qty:
Per Tire:
$278.37
Availability: In Stock
How soon can I get this?
See Shipping Cost
$
GRVR and Abetterplace2B like this.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-12-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontoadvocate View Post
Below are the specs for the all season, OEM 20 inch tire from the Tire Rack Site. These tires were specifically designed for the F Pace. They are certainly not junk as some OEM tires can be, the price alone should tell you that there a much less expensive alternatives when the time comes to replace them if you want to go that route.
If these are so great, why do most who have them, and posted here, not like them at all!!! Particularly in the snow. Aren't they supposed to be all seasons?

2017 F-Pace 20d /Premium /Odyssey Red /Black Pack /Black Blades /Vision Pack /Navigation Pack /ICT /OE Trailer Hitch / Delivered 12/15/16
post #9 of 18 Old 03-12-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHM View Post
If these are so great, why do most who have them, and posted here, not like them at all!!! Particularly in the snow. Aren't they supposed to be all seasons?

Well one minor detail left out of that post was that the vast majority of reviewers thought they were junk... If I get these, I will run them until they scare me or quickly fall apart. Against what I want to do, looks like winter tires will be in order again in order to keep up....
MTHM likes this.

On Order: 2018 Fuji White 20D R-Sport,20" Black Wheels, Black roof rails, Jet & Oyster seats, BlackPack, Convenience Pack, Lux Pack, Tech Pack, Activity Key... Del'y est. 6-2-2018

Other vehicles:
2014 Jeep GC Summit 3.0 CRD
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins No CAT or SCR. Last year for it.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHM View Post
I do not like any all season in snow or ice conditions. That is why I have winter tires. Notwithstanding in Toronto we get little snow in fact this winter almost none, one accident avoided because of winter tire is worth the purchase price of tires and rims. Also you get less wear and therefore extended life for the all seasons if you use winter tires in the winter.

As I post this there are reports of a major snow storm coming to the NE in including Southern Ontario tonight. The likely one last hurrah for winter. If it comes to Toronto, I will be driving my vehicle with winter tires knowing that I will not slip and slide my way up and down the hills of Toronto to and from work.
MTHM likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page