19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up F-Pace S vs Current Audi SQ5

Hello everyone,

I own a F-Pace S (20 inches) and 2014 Audi SQ5 (21 inches).

Both are fully loaded which makes the comparison easier.

I got the F-Pace 4 days ago but I can still make a good comparison between both.

Where the F-Pace beats the SQ5:

-Much more comfortable, even in sports mode, the suspension and everything else is way better as a daily drive.

-The technology in the F-pace is way ahead of the Audi, the Audi even when I got it felt dated compared to much older vehicles I owned.

-I believe the F-pace doesnt require premium gas, compared to the SQ5 (might be wrong).

-I feel much more secure in the snow (and god knows how much we have of it here).

-I think the exhaust sound is more aggressive outside of the car (the SQ5 sound is more present inside the cabin).

-The blutooth connectivity is very quick (it can take up to a minute for the SQ5 to connect).

-More space all around, but not much more.

-The size of the 20 inch wheels is much more common than the 21 that comes with the SQ5, which in return brings down the tire price.

Where the SQ5 beats the F-Pace:

-The car is much more quicker and aggressive, a sligh touch of the pedal and it goes (some might not like this).

-The cornering at speeds with the SQ5 is better than the F-pace

-The Bang & Olufsen sound system is much better than the Meridien.

-I miss the gear shifter, I still don't know where to rest my hand lol... also it feels better to shift into the S mode than turn a dial.

If you have any questions doesn't hesitate asking. I still own the SQ5 for the time being which would make answering question easier.
Attached Images

PA-FPace-F likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Great comparison! A few unsolicited comments

Interesting you feel better in snow in the F Pace since the SQ is full time AWD and the F Pace isn't.

Agreed on the B&O being much better than the Meridian.

I think the new SQ5 will be ahead of the F Pace in technology again, but it a fan of the exterior so far.

Both of your cars are beautiful! I almost considered trading in my S4 for the SQ5 but just couldn't get over the dated interior.
post #3 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Garage
It's nice to have someone who owns both and can compare. I had a Q7 a few years back and I still think the F_Pace competes with that other than the 3rd row and the sound system, which I seem to remember being just a little better than the F-Pace. However, I am going on memory rather than direct comparison. There is one place I which the F-pace had some better options though from the dealership and that is in wheel width and fatter tires. The S-Line Q7 rims, which I still have in the basement with some pretty good rubber on them if anyone with a Q7 is interested, looked really good on the Q7 and I like the meatier rubber stance it had. I'm hoping to fix that with some aftermarket rims and some new summer rubber this spring, but it would have been nice to have an option from the factory for that setup.

2017 Caesium Blue F-Pace FE - in the house
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2016 BMW 428i xDrive Convertible (wife) | 2014 Honda Pilot - Gone traded on F-Pace FE) | 2013 Honda Accord Coupe - gone (Went to son) | 2012 Audi Q7 (Wife) gone - Traded on Pilot | 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport - Gone Son Totaled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 2004 Acura MDX (Wife) Gone - went to second oldest Son | 2002 Acura TL Type S - after market Supercharged - Gone traded on Infiniti

post #4 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the comparison. Do you have the 20" Goodyear tires? How to you feel they perform in the snow?
post #5 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malek View Post
Hello everyone,

I own a F-Pace S (20 inches) and 2014 Audi SQ5 (21 inches).

Both are fully loaded which makes the comparison easier.

I got the F-Pace 4 days ago but I can still make a good comparison between both.

Where the F-Pace beats the SQ5:

-Much more comfortable, even in sports mode, the suspension and everything else is way better as a daily drive.

-The technology in the F-pace is way ahead of the Audi, the Audi even when I got it felt dated compared to much older vehicles I owned.

-I believe the F-pace doesnt require premium gas, compared to the SQ5 (might be wrong).

-I feel much more secure in the snow (and god knows how much we have of it here).

-I think the exhaust sound is more aggressive outside of the car (the SQ5 sound is more present inside the cabin).

-The blutooth connectivity is very quick (it can take up to a minute for the SQ5 to connect).

-More space all around, but not much more.

-The size of the 20 inch wheels is much more common than the 21 that comes with the SQ5, which in return brings down the tire price.

Where the SQ5 beats the F-Pace:

-The car is much more quicker and aggressive, a sligh touch of the pedal and it goes (some might not like this).

-The cornering at speeds with the SQ5 is better than the F-pace

-The Bang & Olufsen sound system is much better than the Meridien.

-I miss the gear shifter, I still don't know where to rest my hand lol... also it feels better to shift into the S mode than turn a dial.

If you have any questions doesn't hesitate asking. I still own the SQ5 for the time being which would make answering question easier.
Jeez, people up in Canada have great tastes in cars! Both of them are beautiful! Of course I am biased to the F-pace but I also looked at the SQ5. Interesting to see about the cornering because if im correct the F-pace has torque vectoring by braking technology and the SQ5 doesn't... but then again the SQ5 is AWD so im sure there is some technology they have in there to make it good when cornering.
Malek likes this.
post #6 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
Thanks for the comparison. Do you have the 20" Goodyear tires? How to you feel they perform in the snow?
I don't know which tires came with the car because I removed them right away for winter tires (Nokia Ha. R2). I'll go check in the garage, didn't pay attention to them.

The ones supplied with the car are summer tires and are not derivable in the winter.
MTHM likes this.
post #7 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWreck View Post
Great comparison! A few unsolicited comments

Interesting you feel better in snow in the F Pace since the SQ is full time AWD and the F Pace isn't.

Agreed on the B&O being much better than the Meridian.

I think the new SQ5 will be ahead of the F Pace in technology again, but it a fan of the exterior so far.

Both of your cars are beautiful! I almost considered trading in my S4 for the SQ5 but just couldn't get over the dated interior.
Thanks!

My gut feeling is that the new SQ5 will not be ahead, at best match what the Fpace has.

I have all the options in the fpace, including all the numerous driving aids, incar internet, HUD, connected navigation, etc etc.

I will for sure compare both when the SQ5 comes out.
post #8 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman97 View Post
Jeez, people up in Canada have great tastes in cars! Both of them are beautiful! Of course I am biased to the F-pace but I also looked at the SQ5. Interesting to see about the cornering because if im correct the F-pace has torque vectoring by braking technology and the SQ5 doesn't... but then again the SQ5 is AWD so im sure there is some technology they have in there to make it good when cornering.
To be fair, my impression is in full winter driving, I will have a way better idea with summer conditions with the summer tires.

My gut feeling is that the FPace has more body roll than the SQ5, also I am used to drive the SQ5 for 3 years now, pushing it to the limit... whereas I just got the FPace and still not fully acclimated with it.
post #9 of 102 Old 01-01-2017, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the comparison! the 2018 SQ5 should definitely be more improved. Surprised by the difference in engine response...i think they both share the same 0-60 times of 5.1 seconds. Did you put your F Pace S in dynamic/sport?
post #10 of 102 Old 01-02-2017, 06:09 AM

A few comments from the above posts in no particular order of importance:

Gas is premium 91 octane not regular.

Tires if 20 inch for the S are All Season not summer tires. The reason you say not suitable in the winter is because in the province of Quebec, you must have winter rated tires by law. Obviously winter rated tires are better in the winter/snow/ice but according to some on this forum, notably Trek, not necessary. I do not agree with Trek on this one. Even in Toronto where we get very little heavy snow falls and some winters the grass is bare, I put on winter tires. My tires are Pirelli Winter & Ice which is a lighter tread, not great for heavy snow but better than the all seasons but very good on ice and slush. Very quiet running tires cannot tell the difference from my OEM All Seasons. My theory is that it is the one snowstorm or ice storm that I will not be close to home or driving in rush hour traffic up a hill or a down a hill (Toronto has hills) that the winter tires will save me from an accident. Also with two sets of tires all season and winter I will not have to buy replacement tires for the time I own the vehicle which usually is about 4 to 5 years at about 12000 kilometers or 7500 miles per year.

As for the make of OEM tire if you have 20 inch tires only one tire is sourced by Jaguar for this vehicle, made by Goodyear especially for the F Pace.

"Eagle F1 AT. They are M&S 255/50 R20 109W. Definitely built for Jaguar, as they actually have "JLR" on the sidewall." Quote comes from ddrsport june 29 2016 post on this forum.

As for the F Pace being better on snow, likely the condition, the make and model of the tire is a significant factor. Put on the same tires in the same condition to truly compare. Also the tires on the Audi are wider, they will have less traction in the snow.

The comment about full time all wheel drive vs part time drive is not valid. Part time is actually very sophisticated. Adjustments to the torque and power going to each wheel is being constantly adjusted in microseconds by the onboard computer, if it detects slippage in one wheel or the other, to get the vehicle back on track. Full time all wheel drive can have the same system but what is the point of driving all four wheels on flat dry pavement other than wasting fuel.
ddeliber and MTHM like this.

Last edited by torontoadvocate; 01-02-2017 at 06:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page