27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
WWYD? (What Would You Do?)

I received an email today from my Jag sales person, requesting me to write a review, and am not sure what to do. I had a REALLY bad experience, and discussed it for over 30 minutes last Thursday with a Jag manager, when I went to pick up my car. Manager was trying to get me to buy the paint protection, and other add-ons, and I basically lost it and told him that he was never going to get me to buy another thing from this dealership, so he should just save his breath. I told him that I was the proverbial Italian Racing Red Canary in the coal mine, and that if my experience is normal, then they may have a block buster first year selling F-Paces, but when people talk about the experience they had with this Jag dealership, my guess is there will not be repeat customers or referrals. Manager asked for specifics, which is when I showed him the last 4 months of texts between me and the Salesperson. Upon reading about half of them he apologized, and said I should have come to him earlier to discuss it, but agreed that the dealers are having big issues with Jaguar not allowing changes to orders, and that since they were acquired by AutoNation people have left and they are short-staffed. He tried to make it up to me with a Jaguar jacket (I declined), and eventually gave me the tire and wheel protection at their cost.

Long story short, I plan to use this dealership for my scheduled maintenance, and warranty-related issues, for the next 5 years (possibly longer), and do not want to bad mouth them to the public, and have them hate me. I have told the manager and he said that he will discuss all of the above with my sales person. But, I also think folks shopping around and talking to multiple dealerships, have a right to know about the lack of transparency and sloppy salesmanship, including attempts to charge more for something that was agreed upon (base price and tow hitch), and that they did not give me the VISTA report for my updated order, despite repeated requests.

I have discussed in depth (in a prior post from November 2016) that the sales person and manager told me that changes are allowed to my order for 15 days, but when I placed my revised order they were unwilling to confirm price. They then up charged me $1K when I went to buy the car in March, and told me the hitch is one price in November and then charged me $630 more when the car arrived. Without letting me see line item pricing at the time I approved the order, so I could see what each option was going to cost me, I was sitting blind for almost 4 months. Finally, they didn't send appropriate paperwork (an authentic purchase order) to the bank for me to get my check, and then when they do, after I have sat at the bank for 2 hours, the legitimate purchase order doesn't include my deposit, so I have to wait another hour for the correct pricing to be reflected.

Basically, I have never spent $70K on anything and felt so screwed over during the process. And, yes, I have bought multiple Audis, so this is not my first luxury car purchase. Make Them Feel Important, which is what I was taught when I did high end Sales, is not in their vocabulary, apparently. It has been one week since I picked up my car, and I am still pretty steamed, so I would like to have some Forum opinions weigh in. After all, that is what y'all are so good at So, what would you do? Especially, you, Jesus

El Jefe is a 2017 IRR Diesel, Black Pack, 20 Inch 5 Spoke Grey Wheels, Ebony Leather with Light Oyster Stitching, Adaptive Dynamics, ICTP, Tow Hitch, Roof Rails, Parking System, Heated Windshield, Keyless Entry, HUD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM

Personally I'd give a short review summarizing your experience as a buyer but noting manager did apologize and try to address it. You will have separate chance to review service when time comes. Be sure to personally meet service dept manager and ask for best service advisor to start out on right foot in that dept.

British Racing Green S with all the trimmings, Built 7/4/2016, delivered 8/22/16. Love it! BRG Grand Duke of Western Colorado Territories (minus Roaring Fork Valley) and Parts of Denver City
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 04:24 PM

Garage
I did not have a good buying experience either.

When I received a request for a review I ignored it.
Sales person basically didn't respond to any of my calls; I had to show
up in person for a response.

Prestige 2.0 BRG. Latte interior, black hdliner, alum mesh. Roof rails. Adaptive dynamics, heated windshield ,activity key, HUD. Forgot my roof rails

ZOOM ZOOM

post #4 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I did not have a good buying experience either.

When I received a request for a review I ignored it.
Sales person basically didn't respond to any of my calls; I had to show
up in person for a response.
Sorry to hear that, Caymus. I assume that they did not buy you a bottle of Caymus to buy your silence.

El Jefe is a 2017 IRR Diesel, Black Pack, 20 Inch 5 Spoke Grey Wheels, Ebony Leather with Light Oyster Stitching, Adaptive Dynamics, ICTP, Tow Hitch, Roof Rails, Parking System, Heated Windshield, Keyless Entry, HUD.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM

It is stunning to me how many car sales reps. do not have the most basic selling skills. Most of this is common sense. As my father in law simply put it, "people buy from who they like." That is one reason I am going to Boston. Though I have only been communicating with this guy for seven weeks, he gained much more loyalty from me than the guy nearby with the bad wood. Admittedly, this local guy was poised and skilled, but I did not feel any loyalty....seemed like he was practicing sales 101 on me. The guy in Boston is the General Sales Manager, but even that title in the car world does not guarantee competency....in my experience. That being said, we all have different standards and expectations. I set the bar realistically high.

DMA, It is a true shame you have this bad taste in your mouth when you should feel exhilarated. I would have taken the jacket and given it away as a gift to you favorite forum member....not me since I wear tall sizes and they likely do not have my size.

FYI, I am pretty sure your MD dealership is the one I was communicating with around the same time I found the Boston one in mid-January. I spent much time with multiple emails and phone calls negotiating, only to find out that they could not order any 17's. The killer is that throughout our emails and calls I constantly reinforced, "THIS IS a 17 RIGHT?"

Hang in there and spread the word to those that will listen. I wish I could give my guy in Norwood, MA more business....and I will try.
DrivingMrAsher likes this.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Sorry to hear what all went wrong for you it kind of quashes all the excitement of buying such a nice premium vehicle. I would definitely provide honest feedback about your situation so, hopefully, it doesn't happen again. Keep in mind the Sales and Service departments are separate usually with different management structures so your feedback in one area is not likely to affect how you are treated in the other area. Also, hopefully, you won't have any service needs for several months so by that time your raising **** about the Sales department(which you have every right to do) will not have a lasting effect. Now, try your best to put it behind you and enjoy that beautiful new F-Pace! :-)
slojotaa and DrivingMrAsher like this.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 06:28 PM

Garage
Honesty is the best policy (unless you are a politician).

The Sales Mgr copped out and threw the SG under the bus. He/she gave you the easy answer. The Sales Mgr is paid to be the leader of the sales dept. If he didn't have any idea what one of his SG's was doing he was not supervising an element of leadership.

I would compose an honest narrative in third person stating facts only, no opinions, ending with a general statement such as "based on the lack of performance and professionalism clearly indicated, a recommendation will not be forthcoming. I anticipate my dealing with ABC's Service Department will be at the standard expected of a premium dealership.:

You could add: P.S. Mr. , SG, could not organize a gun auction at a prison break.
post #8 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 07:49 PM

[QUOTE=Rifleman62;387706]Honesty is the best policy (unless you are a politician).

The Sales Mgr copped out and threw the SG under the bus. He/she gave you the easy answer. The Sales Mgr is paid to be the leader of the sales dept. If he didn't have any idea what one of his SG's was doing he was not supervising an element of leadership.

I would compose an honest narrative in third person stating facts only, no opinions, ending with a general statement such as "based on the lack of performance and professionalism clearly indicated, a recommendation will not be forthcoming. I anticipate my dealing with ABC's Service Department will be at the standard expected of a premium dealership.

I agree. I had a similar situation. Despite the dealer asking several times for a 5 star review, I was honest about their lack of service.

Best of luck!

"God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" <-- Springsteen.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 PM

Garage
Its a shame seeing that people had this negative of an experience with a dealership. My experience went more smoothly than it did at my Lexus dealership (which is saying a lot because Lexus is king at customer service). My salesperson went out of his way to find me my perfect F-pace and went lower on the price than they said they would to make the sale. I think dealership experience reflects more on the training their sales staff has received and less on the brand itself.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-16-2017, 09:14 PM

Of course I have been on all sides of the dealership experience. Unethical and flat out lied to at the first, neglected by the second, then given exceptional service (so far) by the third. It's quite amazing. I will note, the dealership in San Antonio has received the Jaguar award for service multiple times, and it seems to show. They also deal in Maserrati (sorry if I spelled that wrong), so maybe that has something to do with it too.

I agree with Rifleman62, honest and to the point is the best way to go.

Last edited by MTGRL; 03-16-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Incomplete post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page