31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Interior quality comparison

I recall reading on this forum a while back a few complaints regarding the quality of the console area and door panels on the F-Pace. (small storage compartment, hard armrest, not much door padding) It seemed like maybe they were trying to save a few bucks on the F-Pace.
Well, I drove a 2017 Jaguar XF loaner for a couple of days last week while my suv was in for some servicing.
To my surprise the steering wheel, console, instrument cluster, dashboard and seats where the same as in the F-Pace.
For whats its worth, it had the same small storage compartment and hard padding.
The XF exhaust was quieter it had a softer ride, but except for the front end, it was pretty plain looking.
I much prefer the looks and ride of my F-Pace.
VZX-CO and PA-FPace-F like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 04:55 PM

Agree entirely, I had the same experience in an XF loaner. The hard plastic, armrest, etc doesn't bother me as much as the door/panel rattles/vibrations when the volume is turned up loud. I thoroughly enjoy driving the F-Pace, just wish the fit was a bit better...

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S - DSB on order - Build Date 7/15
2011 Audi A5 S-Line - Dark Grey
2009 BMW 328i xDrive - Black
post #3 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Yeah, the interior stying is quite good but the whole thing is let down by sub par materials. In my mind there is absolutely no question that this a weak link in an otherwise solid car. It is the only negative I get from other people, they almost invariably note something in the interior is below expectations. The horridly craptacular looking wood has easily drawn the most comments like, "Wow, I had no idea Jaguar used fake wood and the plastic is even a very low quality". The rest is usually something along the lines of simply not being as nice as expected in one way or another.

post #4 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM

Weird, I've had the opposite experience. Spent a weekend in Aspen recently with friends who have fairly expensive tastes in vehicles and uniformly loved it, interior and all. Comments on interior were "clean, modern, etc." I find the hard plastic on lower parts of interior, which seems to discomfort so many, easy to clean and in an SUV that's a good thing.
RoonieQ, bpmba, Okie and 7 others like this.

British Racing Green S with all the trimmings, Built 7/4/2016, delivered 8/22/16. Love it! BRG Grand Duke of Western Colorado Territories (minus Roaring Fork Valley) and Parts of Denver City
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZX-CO View Post
Weird, I've had the opposite experience. Spent a weekend in Aspen recently with friends who have fairly expensive tastes in vehicles and uniformly loved it, interior and all. Comments on interior were "clean, modern, etc." I find the hard plastic on lower parts of interior, which seems to discomfort so many, easy to clean and in an SUV that's a good thing.
I agree the interior has definitely grown on me since purchase. In my mind it was the weak link when I considered all aspects of the F-Pace especially when compared with the Macan which I was also considering. Now that I have had it for a while I like the simple, clean interior look especially with the tech package which incorporates the ICTP and digital dash. It's also surprised me the number of my friends who have commented about how nice it looks. I have the jet black interior and some people think it is boring but I think it looks rich especially in combination with the suede headliner in the luxury pack.
bpmba and GRVR like this.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM

Garage
I guess I am lucky that all my friends and family DO NOT drive *LUXURY* vehicles !!!
Because , when they all hop in my F-Pace , they're comments are as such :
#1 "WOWWWWW" !!!
#2 "This Thing is AWESOME" !!!
#3 "This is one BEAUTIFUL Vehicle" !!!
#4 "It is so nice and quiet in here" !!!
#5 "Look at all the Gauges and the BIG Screen" !!!
#6 "These seats are so COMFORTABLE" !!!
#7 "Greg and Vickie got a JAG-U-AR" !!!
& when I punch the accelerator #8 "WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAA" !!!
And of course , the most popular #9 "The LIGHTS are changing color , checkout the LIGHTS" !!!

I must have VERY LOW "STANDARDS" , and "EXPECTATIONS" , because this freakin' *F-Pace* EXCEEDS them all !!!
bpmba, flyboy, ndabunka and 2 others like this.

2017 F-Pace S Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD (Wifey's) Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2014 Ford Fusion (Mine)
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

post #7 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM

Garage
I guess interior finishes are in the eye of the beholder. I am thrilled with my FE's Leather and seats and 95% of the F-Paces I perfectly happy with the leather on the dash and the top panels of the doors. I struggle on leather at the bottom of the doors since they get kicked so often, I would think you'd have a chance of cutting any soft material that would be put down there, so I'm happy with what is down there on my F-Pace.

I am stumped why the dash binnacle isn't covered in the same leather as the rest of the dash. I wish the dash stitching for the airbag and center seam was slightly more uniform, but I guess it's more realistic the way that it is.

9 out of 10 people who get in my car, think it looks awesome on the interior. That 1 out of 10 when asked wants more chrome and ask where where's the analog clock! Yuk.

I'm happy!

2017 Caesium Blue F-Pace FE - in the house
| 2016 BMW 428i xDrive Convertible (wife) | 2014 Honda Pilot - Gone traded on F-Pace FE) | 2013 Honda Accord Coupe - gone (Went to son) | 2012 Audi Q7 (Wife) gone - Traded on Pilot | 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport - Gone Son Totaled
| 2004 Acura MDX (Wife) Gone - went to second oldest Son | 2002 Acura TL Type S - after market Supercharged - Gone traded on Infiniti
post #8 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Yeah, the interior stying is quite good but the whole thing is let down by sub par materials. In my mind there is absolutely no question that this a weak link in an otherwise solid car. It is the only negative I get from other people, they almost invariably note something in the interior is below expectations. The horridly craptacular looking wood has easily drawn the most comments like, "Wow, I had no idea Jaguar used fake wood and the plastic is even a very low quality". The rest is usually something along the lines of simply not being as nice as expected in one way or another.
I am just curious mister crabby , if any of your friend's *Negative Comments* were likely *PROVOKED* by YOUR *Negativity* towards your own F-Pace ??? What I am getting at Sir , is that if you are there with your "friends" and you are BASHING the Interior of your F-Pace , maybe these "friends" felt Obligated to Agree with you !!! Just a thought !!!
I have only come to this conclusion , due to already hearing you BASH the Interior of the F-Pace on this Forum repeatedly !!!

2017 F-Pace S Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD (Wifey's) Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

Last edited by GRVR; 03-20-2017 at 06:57 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 07:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-FPace-F View Post
I guess interior finishes are in the eye of the beholder. I am thrilled with my FE's Leather and seats and 95% of the F-Paces I perfectly happy with the leather on the dash and the top panels of the doors. I struggle on leather at the bottom of the doors since they get kicked so often, I would think you'd have a chance of cutting any soft material that would be put down there, so I'm happy with what is down there on my F-Pace.

I am stumped why the dash binnacle isn't covered in the same leather as the rest of the dash. I wish the dash stitching for the airbag and center seam was slightly more uniform, but I guess it's more realistic the way that it is.

9 out of 10 people who get in my car, think it looks awesome on the interior. That 1 out of 10 when asked wants more chrome and ask where where's the analog clock! Yuk.

I'm happy!
Hey PA-FPace-FE !
*GR* once again finds himself , on a Roller Coaster of Emotions , with you post !!!
I wanted to click *Like* , and then I didn't want to click *Like* , and then I did , and then I didn't !!!
You say *Good Things* , and then you say *Bad Things* , and then *Good Things* !!!
You need to *COMMIT* to whatever *Band Wagon* you want to be on !!! And don't look back !!!

P.S. Did you checkout what *GR* did to your *member name* ??? I think you should go ahead and complete it , as I have seen other people on here with more letters in their *member names* !!!

Come On , *DO IT* !!! You know you want to !!!

post #10 of 31 Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRVR View Post
I am just curious mister crabby , if any of your friend's *Negative Comments* were likely *PROVOKED* by YOUR *Negativity* towards your own F-Pace ??? What I am getting at Sir , is that if you are there with your "friends" and you are BASHING the Interior of your F-Pace , maybe these "friends" felt Obligated to Agree with you !!! Just a thought !!!
I have only come to this conclusion , due to already hearing you BASH the Interior of the F-Pace on this Forum repeatedly !!!
Nope. The first thing Mrs Crab did upon entering the car is comment on the poor quality of the plastic wood accents. You or I might call what she was referring to, wood. As I said that is far and away the most common complaint. The fineline wood is garbage and I have a hard time believing it's real myself. Looks like plastic, feels like plastic, sounds like plastic if you tap on it.

You like most of the rest of those who responded did not notice I said the styling was good. A subjective thing but I personally like it and no one has complained about it so far. Materials, fit, and finish are another matter. These vary widely in the car and too many are below par. Take the sunglasses holder for example, extremely cheap in appearance and feel, flimsy, doesn't match anything around it. The feel of the soft touch around the window switches on the other hand is about what I would expect at this price point with a nice look and feel.

Bottom line is my expectation for interior materials in a car which held a 75k MSRP is higher. I don't expect a fake leather stitched dash, I expect the real thing. I don't expect lower door panels which are of the same quality as my daughter's Sante Fe, I expect them to be better.

Last, I'm not negative about the car, it's a solid effort held back from greatness by an interior that is behind the curve. That is my honest assessment. I liked it enough to buy in but I'm not going to pretend it is without fault. I well recall Lieberman in the MT review shrugging his shoulders and saying "The interior... Meh... It's not terrible". He was right, it's not. It's not good though either and has serious dings compared to some price point competitors.

I say this having owned a lot of cars. Both I and Mrs Crab pick up new rides every year or two and I'm old. My old beater car for instance was a 15 and I may or may not get the R version of this when it comes out. If not maybe Macan, hard to say. Certainly I'll be on to the next thing whatever it is around that time. My opinion about its comparative weaknesses will be something that I'm sure will be cause for disagreement over on those forums but the truth is no car is perfect.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page