Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

F-Pace Stop, Brake system, Engine off

13K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Warpup 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if this is has been discussed before. I am confused as how the Brake is engaged automatically whenever I stop and turn the gear dial to Stop. And sometimes the engine shut down by itself automatically whenever I do so. And sometimes it doesn't. Is there some kind of pattern? I would like to learn about this. Please advice.

#2 ·
Auto-start stop only works when the car is in Drive, so if you're putting it into Park, that system shouldn't be working. If you leave the car in gear when you come to a stop, it should turn off (if you haven't permanently disabled it like some of us have). It may not work if its very hot or very cold and the car needs the engine running to provide climate control. Maybe that's why it "functions intermittently" in your car?

The Parking Brake engages automatically whenever you put the car in Park (electronic parking brakes are standard on most mid- to high-end cars nowadays). That's just a feature built into this car. I've had cars where you could turn that feature off, but that doesn't seem to be an option on the F-Pace.

#7 ·
I guess I misstated that the gear dial I switched to P not Stop. It is whenever I park my car, the Brake engaged automatically whenever I switch the gear dial to P. Kind of neat. I like that.

Reactions: DPK
#4 ·
If you place your car into park, and the auto stop/start is still turned on it will turn off the engine. The cars electronics (instrument cluster and infotainment) will remain on until you take off your seatbelt, then the car shuts down and only the infotainment system (ICT/ICTP screen) is left on. When the door is open everything shuts off.

Its completely normal. There are a lot of variable that dictate when the stop/start will engage but it is normal for you to place the car into park and for it to turn the engine off.

#5 ·
Ok. The reason I asked was because the loaner I'm driving now which is the 35T does engage the Park brake automatically whenever I stop and switch the gear dial to P. I don't recall that on my FPace S. And my auto start stop is always inactive since that's the first thing I shut off everytime I get into the car. I need to pay more attention next time when I turn the engine off. I do like the parking brake on feature whenever you turn the gear dial to P though.

#10 ·
Yea, that's what I meant. I see you have the Sport too. My FPace S's parking brake never engage whenever I park. But this 35T (loaner) does it all the time. That's why I am very curious. Maybe some other Sport owner can chime in and see that's the case.

#8 ·
Every time I place the ole knobola in the "P" position, the PARKING BRAKE engages....I can disengage them manually too, whilest in "P"...Never has been an issue (knock wood)

#23 ·
Talking about oddly behaving Jags, on mine, when coming to a complete stop and Auto stop/start engaging, if I then shift to Park, the car will sometimes do a full shutdown as if I had pressed ignition off.

On those occasions, i happened to have arrived at my garage and so I did intend to shu tdown the car but it shut down on its own after shifting to Park as if the car knew my intentions.....

#25 · (Edited)
I did some spearamenting..Some have claimed their PARKING BRAKE doesn't disengage when put in to D or R from Park...Mine never misses a beat..works every time..UNLESS, you start the car and almost immedialy you put it into Drive or Reverse, it will not disengage the BRAKE..You must manually disengage it..I think it is a safety feature to prevent launching until the engine has a chance to rev down to idle...And earlier I mentioned in the "STARTING" thread that is what I do..I wait after starting till the engine settles down and then shift into Drive or Reverse..and the Brake disengages automatically every time..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.