4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
WiFiHotSpot with T-Mobile

My ATT freebie is expiring and I recently got "free" extra lines from T Mobile. I was wondering if I can just change the ATT sim to T Mobile and does that work ? Where exactly is the SIM - Is that the one near the spare tire ?

And if I do that will the Emergency Roadside, Traffic and Remote still work - is that another SIM ?

I had serious problem go get all the electronics to work when I took the F-PACE off the lot and I use WiFI a lot and seem to have better reception than a phone hotspot.

Thanks for the advice and experiences.

2017 F-Pace Prestige Rhodium Silver/Jet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 AM

I have has T Mobile since day 1 and it worls great in both of my FP's. The sim card is in the armrest. Pop it out and pop the new one in. I am 99% sure it is the medium size sim card.

2017 F-Pace R Sport - Storm Grey / Jet and 2017 F-Pace R Sport Tempest Grey / Oyster.
post #3 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalguru View Post

And if I do that will the Emergency Roadside, Traffic and Remote still work - is that another SIM ?

Thanks for the advice and experiences.
Just an additional point of clarification to the response above from Stormgrey:

Emergency Roadside is indeed connected through another network. And, it is handled by the "built-in" SIM, NOT the "owner subscribed" one that supports Remote Start, Route Planner and detailed traffic. So it is not affected by your AT&T contract or the replacement SIM card in your armrest.

This "built-in" connection for Emergency Roadside I believe is good for five years.

If you want more insight into the different connections, search this forum for posts from VZX-CO on the subject. He's contributed with the most intelligible answers to a lot of these questions in the past.

post #4 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 PM

Would it be fair to say that the SIM in the F Pace is a GSM based SIM and not a CDMA based SIM? IE; you could not use a Verizon SIM vs a ATT/T-Mobile SIM? Or could you use either ??

On Order: 2018 Fuji White 20D R-Sport,20" Black Wheels, Black roof rails, Jet & Oyster seats, BlackPack, Convenience Pack, Lux Pack, Tech Pack, Activity Key... Del'y est. 6-2-2018

Other vehicles:
2014 Jeep GC Summit 3.0 CRD
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins No CAT or SCR. Last year for it.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbentoak View Post
Would it be fair to say that the SIM in the F Pace is a GSM based SIM and not a CDMA based SIM? IE; you could not use a Verizon SIM vs a ATT/T-Mobile SIM? Or could you use either ??
Correct. Since the car is connecting over 3G then either AT&T or T-Mobile (and some other regional carriers and MVNOs) will work but it has to be a GSM based carrier. When they decide to update the device to 4GLTE then you should be able to use an LTE SIM from any carrier including Verizon to connect assuming that the radio they use supports the proper LTE frequencies for each carrier.

2017 F-Pace Italian Racing Red/Jet Black
post #6 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
Correct. Since the car is connecting over 3G then either AT&T or T-Mobile (and some other regional carriers and MVNOs) will work but it has to be a GSM based carrier. When they decide to update the device to 4GLTE then you should be able to use an LTE SIM from any carrier including Verizon to connect assuming that the radio they use supports the proper LTE frequencies for each carrier.

And so if the 2018's are 4G connectivity then either carriers card would work regardless of GSM or CDMA? I'm thinking I could just add a line to my Verizon acct for less money than signing on with ATT. If this is really true then I won't even get started with the 3 months on ATT, I'll just start with VER...... Does the vehicle hold a NANO or MICRO sim card? Thank you for your help..!

On Order: 2018 Fuji White 20D R-Sport,20" Black Wheels, Black roof rails, Jet & Oyster seats, BlackPack, Convenience Pack, Lux Pack, Tech Pack, Activity Key... Del'y est. 6-2-2018

Other vehicles:
2014 Jeep GC Summit 3.0 CRD
2004 Ram 2500 Cummins No CAT or SCR. Last year for it.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormGrey View Post
I have has T Mobile since day 1 and it worls great in both of my FP's. The sim card is in the armrest. Pop it out and pop the new one in. I am 99% sure it is the medium size sim card.
Did you register SIM card somehow?
I don't have 3G data service because according AT&T my SIM card was 'returned to stock' i.e. unlinked from my car somehow.
It happened after visit to JLR service center and they vague on details.
Can't resolve this issue for couple months already.

Halloween edition of the F-Pace 35t AWD R-Sport / 20" blade 5 spoke / BRG & Jet and Red Taurus & Satin Ash Burl / Adaptive Dynamics and Technology Packages plus Head Up Display
post #8 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klimchuk View Post
Did you register SIM card somehow?
I don't have 3G data service because according AT&T my SIM card was 'returned to stock' i.e. unlinked from my car somehow.
It happened after visit to JLR service center and they vague on details.
Can't resolve this issue for couple months already.
With T Mobile it's plug and play.

2017 F-Pace R Sport - Storm Grey / Jet and 2017 F-Pace R Sport Tempest Grey / Oyster.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormGrey View Post

With T Mobile it's plug and play.
Unfortunately I have 3 lines with AT&T already and a lot of traffic on data plan so T-Mobile is not an option for me

Halloween edition of the F-Pace 35t AWD R-Sport / 20" blade 5 spoke / BRG & Jet and Red Taurus & Satin Ash Burl / Adaptive Dynamics and Technology Packages plus Head Up Display
post #10 of 25 Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbentoak View Post
And so if the 2018's are 4G connectivity then either carriers card would work regardless of GSM or CDMA? I'm thinking I could just add a line to my Verizon acct for less money than signing on with ATT. If this is really true then I won't even get started with the 3 months on ATT, I'll just start with VER...... Does the vehicle hold a NANO or MICRO sim card? Thank you for your help..!
unfortunately no. My understanding from reading these forums is that the 2018 F-Pace will ship with 4G and not 4GLTE, they are two different technologies. 4G is based on the old GSM standard while LTE is a new wireless technology. CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint did not move to sim based device registration until they rolled out their LTE networks.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, not only will the F-Pace have to have a modem that supports 4GLTE it also has to support the different frequencies and bands that each carrier runs their LTE network on. For example, AT&T runs its LTE network on bands 2, 4, 5, 17 across frequencies of 1900, 1700 and 700MHz while Verizon supports the same frequencies but across bands 2, 4, 13. *
For*comparison most European carriers have deployed LTE across bands 3, 7, 20, and frequencies of 1800,2600 and 800 MHz

Phonearena.com has some good articles on LTE deployments if you are looking for some light reading
stbentoak likes this.

2017 F-Pace Italian Racing Red/Jet Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page