7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Directions to your vehicle - in the Vertical?

I probably know the answer to this already, and meant to check it out on my recent trip to NYC. I parked on garage level 2, but was dumped off at level 4. Does the Jaguar Remote Directions to your vehicle allow for elevation differences? I was going to give it a try, but forgot, just wanted to get home....

GPS horizontal accuracy is somewhere at 3 meters or less, vertical probably at least twice that (6 to 9 meters), all depending on how many satellites the receiver picks up on. I think iPhones have a limited bandwidth, so maybe less accurate as it is not collecting all possible GPS signals. I know the iPhone collects elevation data, as I have an app that shows this. Likewise, concrete parking lot, signal reduction as well.

Anyone working in high-rise buildings try this from the upper floors?

an idle mind . . .

2017 F-Pace S Delivered 8/9/16
2005 XKR
2000 Jeep Wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theweeb View Post
I probably know the answer to this already, and meant to check it out on my recent trip to NYC. I parked on garage level 2, but was dumped off at level 4. Does the Jaguar Remote Directions to your vehicle allow for elevation differences? I was going to give it a try, but forgot, just wanted to get home....

GPS horizontal accuracy is somewhere at 3 meters or less, vertical probably at least twice that (6 to 9 meters), all depending on how many satellites the receiver picks up on. I think iPhones have a limited bandwidth, so maybe less accurate as it is not collecting all possible GPS signals. I know the iPhone collects elevation data, as I have an app that shows this. Likewise, concrete parking lot, signal reduction as well.

Anyone working in high-rise buildings try this from the upper floors?

an idle mind . . .
Yes. My office is on the 21st floor of a building in Manhattan. I left my car in a lot in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. No problem with the remote app.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S First Edition - Caesium Blue w/Activity Key
Suntek Paint Protection Film - Full hood w/wrapped edges, full fenders w/wrapped edges, mirrors, front bumper w/grille pieces, rocker panels and headlights
Ceramic Pro full body + all windows + all four wheels
post #3 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
an idle mind . . .
They say that "RECOGNIZING" you have a problem , is the key to a *Brighter Future* !!!

It looks like you are on your way , since you are willing to admit this fact !!!

I just hope it hasn't been "idle" for too many decades !!! I wish you well , theweeb !!!

2017 F-Pace S Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD (Wifey's) Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2014 Ford Fusion (Mine)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

post #4 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Yes. My office is on the 21st floor of a building in Manhattan. I left my car in a lot in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. No problem with the remote app.
So you are saying that it prompts you to go down 21 floors? How is that expressed?

2005 XKR
2000 Jeep Wrangler
post #5 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
So you are saying that it prompts you to go down 21 floors? How is that expressed?
Does it start with "Open window"?
GRVR likes this.

There's a time to think, and a time to act. And this, gentlemen, is no time to think.
post #6 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed_FP View Post
Does it start with "Open window"?
If you are asking whether you can start the car remotely with a window open the answer is no.

Mike

2017 F Pace S

2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport

2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport

2012 Corvette Grand Sport
post #7 of 23 Old 03-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I think he means the opposite. If your car is on the 8th level of a parking facility will you be able to locate which floor it is on. There are some factors to consider one of them would be does the telemetry system have access to GPS or RF from its location?

My guess is even if GPS were available you would not be able to determine the height in a tall building.

Mike

2017 F Pace S

2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport

2015 Lexus RC350 F Sport

2012 Corvette Grand Sport
post #8 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 12:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKenM View Post
If you are asking whether you can start the car remotely with a window open the answer is no.
Go to bed MKenM !!! This one went straight over your head !!!
I don't believe he was referring to the F-Paces window !!!

P.S. Don't worry @Hayseed_FP , *GR* got it !!! And it was FUNNY !!!

2017 F-Pace S Glacier White w/JET Interior , 20" Grey/Diamond Turned Blades , Technology Pack , Luxury Pack , Comfort & Convenience Pack , Driver Assist Pack , Black Pack , HUD (Wifey's) Manufactured July , 2016 - Purchased Sept. 10 , 2016
- 2003 Ford E-350 Conversion Limousine Van 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel (still running strong)
- 1999 38-ft Monaco Executive Motorhome 450-hp Cummins Diesel (Vacation Home on Wheels) if we only had more spare time

post #9 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
But the question remains unresolved.

2005 XKR
2000 Jeep Wrangler
post #10 of 23 Old 03-19-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
But the question remains unresolved.
Every now and then , my mind (that's always going 100-mph) , wonders what it would be like to just "idle" !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page